• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vax shedding w/4 yr. old niece....help answer this please :)

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 237 Total Views

So my 4 year old niece usually stays with my once a week, sometimes more. I have 5 kids, 2 are toddlers and they are both sick right now with a nasty cough. My niece just got ipv, mmr, varicella, & dtap. because they are toddlers they do sometimes snatch up each others cup or food, i try to prevent but doesn't always happen.

She also likes to try and put everything in her mouth (phone, remote, crayons, toys) I am not sure if that matters but it's a bad habit she has. Anyway, I was under the impression that a few of those are live and do shed so do I need to keep her away for 3 weeks or is that really necessary? what would you do?

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
emmy526
by New Owner on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM

mmr and varicella are live vaccines and are capable of spreading...dtap is harbored in the throat of the vaccinee and can transmit whooping cough, while showing no symptoms other than a cold herself.. I would delay the visit if you can. 

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I wouldn't worry about it.  But that is how I am about illness.  I'm not going to intentionally expose my child, but I'm not going to go all out to protect them from the possibility of getting sick.

I'm not the norm.  But I wouldn't worry about it.  Though your 4 year old niece may easily catch what your kids have since her immune system will be down. 

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Theoretically she can shed up to 28 days. 

Juniper53098
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I'm this way, too.  I have a daycare.  All of the kids are vaccinated.  Mine are not getting them anymore.  I do ask which shots they're getting, so I can watch for symptoms, but I don't worry about the exposure.

Quoting micheledo:

I wouldn't worry about it.  But that is how I am about illness.  I'm not going to intentionally expose my child, but I'm not going to go all out to protect them from the possibility of getting sick.

I'm not the norm.  But I wouldn't worry about it.  Though your 4 year old niece may easily catch what your kids have since her immune system will be down. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)