Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LA NPR Poll - Measles Outbreak/Personal Belief Exemption

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:07 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 544 Total Views

The local NPR station here has an article and poll up, asking whether listeners would support a bill that eliminates the personal belief exemption.  (Two state senators announced today that they will be introducing legislation that will repeal the Personal Belief Exemption.)

I realize many of you may not be local, California residents, but if you would like to share your opinion, here's a link to the article and poll...
http://www.scpr.org/news/2015/02/04/49657/state-lawmakers-propose-ditching-personal-vaccine/

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by New Owner on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:47 PM

just saw this, too

New Plan To Vaccinate All California School Kids

460x (5)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California lawmakers are proposing legislation that would require parents to vaccinate all school children unless a child’s health is in danger, joining only two other states with such stringent restrictions.

Parents could no longer cite personal beliefs or religious reasons to send unvaccinated children to school under a proposal introduced Wednesday after dozens of people have fallen ill from a measles outbreak that started at Disneyland. Mississippi and West Virginia are the only other states with such strict vaccine rules, though the California bill’s chief author said he would consider including a religious exemption, as allowed under current law.

“People are starting to realize, ‘I’m vulnerable, my children are vulnerable,'” said Sen. Richard Pan, a Democratic pediatrician from Sacramento. “We should not wait for more children to sicken or die before we act.”

Childhood vaccine has become an emotionally charged topic and a national issue amid a measles outbreak that has sickened more than 100 people across the U.S. and in Mexico.

Like most other states, California allows religious or personal belief exemptions. According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, California is among 20 states that allow for personal belief exemptions and 48 that allow for religious exemptions.

Public health officials believe an immunization rate of at least 90 percent in all communities, including schools, is critical to minimizing the potential for a disease outbreak.

Parents cite a variety of reasons for not immunizing their children, among them: religious values, concerns the shots could cause illness and a belief that allowing children to get sick helps them to build a stronger immune system.

The California bill proposed Wednesday is also backed by Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego, and Ben Allen, a former Santa Monica school board member.

TLIF1281
by Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah definitely homeschooling!
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 12:11 AM
I am in Ca, thanks!
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 12:12 AM
And already homeschool; )
TLIF1281
by Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 12:24 AM
The vaccine uproar, bullying, school curriculums, teachers, ADHD diagnoses because the kids learn in a different way (I.e. hands on vs in books) just too much pressure is being put on kids. How are they suppose to learn? I don't live in cali , but if Cali does this its only a matter of time til other states do it.

Quoting Precious333: And already homeschool; )
Presley77
by Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 2:27 AM
I read that in ca you have to file an exemption even if you homeschool. Is that true?

Presley77
by Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 2:27 AM
Oh it's already happening. Oregon and Washington have officially jumped on the band wagon.

Quoting TLIF1281: The vaccine uproar, bullying, school curriculums, teachers, ADHD diagnoses because the kids learn in a different way (I.e. hands on vs in books) just too much pressure is being put on kids. How are they suppose to learn? I don't live in cali , but if Cali does this its only a matter of time til other states do it.

TLIF1281
by Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 2:32 AM
I wonder how many parents will pull their kids from school? Then they will make it illegal to homeschooled. Then what will happen to sick children who have to be homeschooled or ones that are homeschooled because of bullying or because they are ahead of or behind other students? All over a fight for these stupid vaccines. A way to control those not falling in line.

Quoting Presley77: Oh it's already happening. Oregon and Washington have officially jumped on the band wagon.

Quoting TLIF1281: The vaccine uproar, bullying, school curriculums, teachers, ADHD diagnoses because the kids learn in a different way (I.e. hands on vs in books) just too much pressure is being put on kids. How are they suppose to learn? I don't live in cali , but if Cali does this its only a matter of time til other states do it.

Presley77
by Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 2:57 AM
UHG. I can see that happening down the line. There would probably be a lot of backlash at the homeschooling aspect though.

Quoting TLIF1281: I wonder how many parents will pull their kids from school? Then they will make it illegal to homeschooled. Then what will happen to sick children who have to be homeschooled or ones that are homeschooled because of bullying or because they are ahead of or behind other students? All over a fight for these stupid vaccines. A way to control those not falling in line.

Quoting Presley77: Oh it's already happening. Oregon and Washington have officially jumped on the band wagon.

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 11:08 AM
:( right now CA is a fairly homeschooling friendly state. There are many homeschooling programs and more and more people are deciding to homeschool. However if they are forcing kids to vaccinate, I can see how they are slowly gripping control over families.

Quoting Presley77: UHG. I can see that happening down the line. There would probably be a lot of backlash at the homeschooling aspect though.

Quoting TLIF1281: I wonder how many parents will pull their kids from school? Then they will make it illegal to homeschooled. Then what will happen to sick children who have to be homeschooled or ones that are homeschooled because of bullying or because they are ahead of or behind other students? All over a fight for these stupid vaccines. A way to control those not falling in line.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)