• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ot: is this really safe?

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 337 Total Views
Sorry this is off topic but I used to be in a green living group on here and now I can't find it. Maybe someone here can answer this. So the Mosquitos have been awful here. My mil and sil use bounce dryer sheets to rub on themselves to repel Mosquitos. That just seems super unsafe to me. There's tons of chemicals on them and it's one thing to throw them in a hot dryer (I don't use them anyway) but to rub them directly on your skin.....would this be safe? (I ask this because they've tried to rub them on my kids before)
by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Juniper53098
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:39 PM

I wouldn't do it.

jmaw89
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM
I don't know what's in/on them but I wouldn't do it!
PinkButterfly66
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:06 PM

You don't have to rub them on your skin, just stick them in your pocket.  At least that's what my vet told me.  We tie one to the dog's collar and then tuck one in a sock when we go for a walk with the dog.

emmy526
by New Owner on May. 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM

use citronella spray or oil for the grandparents to use on the kids...there are many natural repellants out there

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I wouldn't.  I don't use them in my home and wouldn't use them like that.  Look up bug repellant using essential oils

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM

We use the California Baby spray and love it.  Safe on our Shepherd too.  If we are going in deep woods or highly mosquito areas we do use a product with DEET, but West Nile is common in the area where I live. 

melindabelcher
by Member on May. 18, 2015 at 9:21 PM
I wouldn't
its full of chemicals
Lynette
by Member on May. 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM
When we use deet spray I never put it in the skin. I spray it on their long sleeved shirts and pants and then have them put it on. I use the natural stuff for actually putting on their skin.

And for OP I wouldn't rub dryer sheets in the skin.

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

We use the California Baby spray and love it.  Safe on our Shepherd too.  If we are going in deep woods or highly mosquito areas we do use a product with DEET, but West Nile is common in the area where I live. 

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

DEET does have a time and a place but I agree with you.  We do put it on clothes, sorry I forgot to mention this.

Quoting Lynette: When we use deet spray I never put it in the skin. I spray it on their long sleeved shirts and pants and then have them put it on. I use the natural stuff for actually putting on their skin. And for OP I wouldn't rub dryer sheets in the skin.
Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers>Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)