Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids will harm "them"?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:07 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 338 Total Views
I was at our nurse-run mommy and me class yesterday and the topic of vax-ing came up. The nurse said that it was "our duty" to help protect those who can't be vax'ed, and babies who haven't been fully vax'ed, by vaxing our children. She said that if you don't vax your child and s/he gets, say, measles... well it might not harm your child (she actually ADMITTED that, which said a lot about the "danger" of the diseases) but that if your child had been around a small baby who hadn't been vaxed yet, or an older person whose "vaccine may have worn off" (again, she ADMITTED that), that it would be dangerous for them.

Now, this might sound a little mean, but I care more about "my" children than other people's, and more about "my" children than anyone else outside of my family. I don't think it is MY duty to help protect everyone from disease. That's just not my job or responsibility. However, I'd hate to think that my children were a danger to the public.. that makes me feel like crap.

What do I say in a situation like that... where what they're saying really seems to be true? I mean, if a 2 month old or an 80 year old got measles it would be pretty bad.
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
houseof7
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:19 AM
well, if one of my kids got the measles i wouldnt allow them around babies and old people. This nurse sounds like a moron just like all these docs and vax advocates. Its all a money market...these people know the truth but because they are in healtcare they have to say those things.
WatchGirl29
by Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:31 AM

If vaxing is so great why would they worry about unvaxed children being a harm to them?  Please people double talk all the time.  If they stopped and thought about the words coming out of their mouth perhaps they would see that it is insane.  Hey keep vaxing your children if you want you are just protecting my unvaxed child.  They get the benefit of everyone being vaxed against and no risk of the harms of vaccines.  I don't really feel that way, but it is just so frustrating that they are worried about our children harming theirs, but they don't think how ridiculous that sounds.  They are speaking out of fear and not education.  Fear of the unknown.

Jayme M. Young
EcoQuest International Independent Sales Distributer
Looking for a Growing Business With Unlimited Potential
Ask Me How You Can Join My Team Today for Under $50

vbacmama
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 9:56 AM
Oh, both of my children (2 1/2 years and 7 months) are completely UN vax'd. But isn't the MMR series begun at 12-15 months? and the diseases have an incubation period, right?.... of at least a few days. I gues what I'm saying is...

Say my dd got measles (I don't know why I keep using that one, it doens't really matter). She's contagious for at least a few days before I ever even know she has measles.. and she's been playing with my friend's 9 month old son, and giving hugs and kisses to her 80 year old great grandmother. But we didn't keep her away from these people because we didn't know she had measles yet.

That's the scenario I get most frequently. And it's TRUE... I mean, that could REALLY happen. So it's hard to argue with it. And what if the 80 year old great grandmother DIED from the measles that my dd gave to her?

But still, is it my "duty" to help protect babies and old people? I don't believe it is ever okay to purposley harm someone, and some might argue that by not vaxing that is purposely harming someone.

I don't know... it's just hard. It sucks.
houseof7
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:00 AM
I understand what you are trying to say, however, even vaxed kids can still get the measles. so are you really protecting them by vaxing them? NO you arent. There was a measles outbreak a couple of years ago and guess what? All these kids who were vaxed still got it. so what good is it really?
rnbwbrite
by Head Admin on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Quoting houseof7:

well, if one of my kids got the measles i wouldnt allow them around babies and old people. This nurse sounds like a moron just like all these docs and vax advocates. Its all a money market...these people know the truth but because they are in healtcare they have to say those things.

You said it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)