Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever read exactly what lysol kills?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2008 at 5:10 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 8846 Total Views
I had a *light bulb* moment when I was on the potty tonight. I thought to myself, hey the label says it kills 99.9% of germs & viruses, why don't I read the label and find out what exactly it claims to kill. Yes I have a bottle of Lysol in every room of the house. This is what I found:

Bacteria and Fungi
:Klebsiella pneumoniae
:streptococcus pyogenes
:salmonella choleraesuis
:escherichia coli (e.coli)
:trichophyton mentagrophytes(athlete's foot fungus)
Viruses:
:Rhinovirus type 39 (leading cause of common cold)
:rotavirus wa
:respiratory syncytial virus(leading cause of respiratory infection in children)
:poliovirus type 1
:influenza a virus
:herpes simplex virus type 1 & 2
:hepatitis a virus

If only our government prevented parents from sending their kids to school without a bottle of Lysol, that is, unless they had an exemption.

Granted it does hace unpronounceable chemicals in it also, and I haven't looked into them yet, BUT, I'm sure its a HELL of a lot better than injecting them into our babies' blood streams.

(and when I said *light bulb* moment I mean the non-flourescent kind... you know, the ones that jack up your bill, the ones without the mercury in them)

Just thought I'd share this wonderful piece of info with everyone. If anyone has done any research on Lysol and its ingredients, please post! :)

*Mamma D*
by on Jun. 19, 2008 at 5:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quietside
by on Jun. 19, 2008 at 8:13 AM
It's a pretty effective pesticide.
It is what we think we know already that often prevents us from learning.
--Claude Bernard
soon2bemomof307
by on Jun. 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM
Yep I'm a lysol user. I don't over use it though. In a place I used to work they had a cleaner that killed hiv. I used to be a maid. I use it in the bathroom, and kitchen to get rid of yucky germs that can make my kids sick. But that is it because I know my kids need some germs and I'm definately not a germaphobe.
momoflilangel
by Member on Jun. 19, 2008 at 10:03 AM
Lysol is also very bad for your health to breathe in. It has lots of toxic chemicals in it. I have a video on my profile about using toxic chemicals to clean with.
NataliezMama
by Member on Jun. 19, 2008 at 4:50 PM
I do recognize that the chemicals are probably not the safest. I'll look into them,  if all else fails I'll ask big pharma (my mamma).
And as for it killing *good germs* too, thank you, I didn't even think about that!!
So I called the Lysol company to find out what other viruses or bacteria it kills, if it kills anything more than what's on the bottle.
The lady that answered the phone told me it was a vary good question, she wasn't sure. She looked into it for a second and told me there's a pretty *big* list of stuff, bigger than what's on the label itself (surprise, surprise) so she's going to mail it to me!!
In my opinion though, if you compare the two options, I think it couldn't be worse than injecting chemicals into our kids' bloodstreams.
Again, it kills 4 viruses that vaccines are said to "prevent": rotavirus, hep A, flu, and polio.
*mamma d*

kcangel63
by Member on Jun. 19, 2008 at 4:52 PM
My DH sprays the toilet seat with Lysol before he'll sit on it.  LOL!  I like to spray the flusher and door knobs, though. 

Sarah321
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2008 at 4:57 PM
the problem is the .1% of bacteria it does not kill....it causes those stronger bacteria to become even stronger and more resistent...and then you have wiped out any competing bacteria that may have kept the stronger bacteria in check.  Also, you can never , ever hope to be able to lysol EVERYthing your child comes into contact with, therefore, their immune systems will be stronger by encountering non-lysoled surfaces on a regular basis. and THAT, my friends, is why my house is a mess (it's definetly not because i'm Lazy =P 

Do your part! Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Green your baby! Use Cloth Diapers!

NataliezMama
by Member on Jun. 19, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Quoting LindaM01876:

The wellness company I've partnered with has the first Botanical Disinfectant that kills 99.9% of bad germs found that are mentioned above *including* the HIV virus! And, it isn't a pesticide. Since the introduction of pesticides into our homes, our health has been deteriorating. Couple that with the toxins in the vaccines and no wonder our kids are so sick. But, pesticides and other chemicals in the home can do damage as well because our kids are in that environment consistently and the toxins and chemicals are inhaled or absorped into their systems as well. Lysol being a registered pesticide, along with bleach, is pretty powerful stuff. And, a kid can easily ingest it doing Gosh knows what to their little developing bodies.
Statistics:

The EPA conducted a study that found that toxic chemicals in household cleaners are three times more likely to cause cancer than outdoor air pollution.

Of 2,983 chemicals analyzed that are found in personal care products:

• 884 are toxic
  • 146 can cause tumors
  • 218 can cause reproductive complications
  • 778 cause acute toxicity
  • 314 can cause biological mutations
  • 376 can cause skin and eye irritations

[Source: United States House of Representatives Report through NIOSH, 1989]

“Chemicals have replaced bacteria and viruses as the main threat to health. The diseases we are beginning to see as the major causes of death in the latter part of (the 1900's) and into the 21st century are diseases of chemical origin.” [Dr. Dick Irwin, Toxicologist, Texas A&M University]

Diseases that used to occur later in life are now appearing at younger ages. Diseases that used to be rare are more frequent. For example:

• There has been a 28% increase in childhood cancer since the addition of pesticides into household products.
  • Cancer is now the #2 killer of children – second only to accidental poisonings. Since 1977 the rate of cancer among American children has been steadily rising at a rate of nearly 1% each year. [National Cancer Institute]

Some products release contaminants into the air right away, others do so gradually over a period of time. Some stay in the air up to a year. These contaminants, found in many household and personal care products can cause dizziness, nausea, allergic reactions, eye/skin/respiratory tract irritations and some cause cancer. [American Lung Association]

In 1901, cancer was rare: 1 out of 8,000. Since the Industrial Revolution, the cancer rate today has risen to 1 in 3 and is not improving. [The American Cancer Society]

In one decade, there has been a 42% increase in asthma (29% for men, 82% for women). The higher rate for women is believed to be due to women’s longer exposure times to household chemicals. [Center for Disease Control]

Even small doses of neurotoxins, which would be harmless to an adult, can alter a child’s nervous system development. [Environmental Health Perspectives 106 Supplement 3:787-794 (June 1998)]

Out of 2,435 pesticide poisonings in a one-year period, over 40% were due to exposure to disinfectants and similar cleaning products in the home. [State of California Study]

Developing cells in children’s bodies are more susceptible to damage than adult cells that have completed development, especially for the central nervous system. During the development of a child, from conception through adolescence, there are particular windows of vulnerability to environmental hazards. Most disturbing – until a child is approximately 13 months of age, they have virtually no ability to fight the biological and neurological effects of toxic chemicals. [Herbert L. Needleman, M.D., Philip J. Landrigan, M.D., Raising Children Toxic Free]

It's pretty scary. I say stay away from the Lysol and find a botanical disinfectant that does the same thing, but is HEALTHY for your family. you're doing a great thing by inquiring, but I wouldn't trust those companies that put out pesticides to "clean" our homes with....it's ridiculous.

Tu-shay (i know i spelled that wrong! lol)
So much to learn, so little time. What I keep coming back to in all these dilemmas, when I ask myself "but why?", you know what the answer seems to ALWAYS be? $$MONEY$$
Its so sad, and now we're going from a "germ-killing" conversation to a philosophical one...but its so sad that EVERYTHING revolves around money.
Why would they keep making vaccines if there's so much concern over their safety and effectiveness? Why would they shut people's concerns down so harshly and lable them as loonies to the public. Why why why?
Its all about the freakin money.
Its bologna!!! (I HATE the way that word's spelled, hate hate hate it, it should be balonie and I'm stick to it.)
Ugh
Thanks again ladies!

StarMommy77
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2008 at 5:30 PM
I use vinegar to clean with, as a fabric softener, I make my own laundry soap, and I use Holy Cow! to clean my floors and kitchen with.. Tea tree oil has great disinfecting qualities.

Since the New Year I have eliminated most toxins from my house.. It makes me so happy.

I wasn't aware that Lysol killed all those things. Wow. Good post though!! Thank you!!
Xakana
by Member on Jun. 19, 2008 at 5:35 PM

Quoting StarMommy77:

Tea tree oil has great disinfecting qualities.

As long as you don't have it around animals. It's lethal for even a drop to be absorbed by a bird, a few drops by a cat and a dropperfull by a dog. And since it's an oil, you can't get it off once it's on there, so caution must be used if you have pets.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker...

Abbey87
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2008 at 5:41 PM
We use a hand sanitizer by Clean Well.  It's made from essential oils, including thyme, which is what is smells like.  I love it, especially knowing it's all natural.  They also make hand soap, which we haven't tried yet, but I plan to.  Their website is:  www.cleanwelltoday.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)