Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccinations and Speech Delays

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2008 at 9:22 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 4243 Total Views

Does anyone know of any links or books that talk about a link between vaccinations and speech delays? My son (15 mos) went to the doctor today ( he has been vaccinated up to this point) I told my Ped that he only says "dada" and "nana" but nothing else. He wants him to be evaluated for mild expressive delay. He will respond to "commands" telling him to bring something etc but he's just not talking. Everything i've been able to pull up has said to this point that such delays are linked to autism.

by on Jun. 27, 2008 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamalove1023
by Member on Jun. 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM
I would not be surprised, however, I have not seen anything.
I have seen many things that link speach delays to milk allergies. You may want to remove ALL milk and milk products for a while and see what happens.
mom2alittleman
by on Jun. 27, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Quoting mamalove1023:

I would not be surprised, however, I have not seen anything.
I have seen many things that link speach delays to milk allergies. You may want to remove ALL milk and milk products for a while and see what happens.

Well that would make sense. We are taking him to test for allergies to milk and bee stings because of my husbands family history.
My3browneyekids
by Member on Jun. 27, 2008 at 9:32 PM
I've had the same thoughts regarding my middle daughter. She was talking great and had a great vocabulary with really advanced words and then after she had been vaccinated again, she started stuttering. After years of speech therapy I'm happy to say she doesn't stutter anymore. Thank God!
My other daughter who is unvaxed, had severe delay of speech and it turned out that her tonsils were huge and it was hard for her to talk, so you may want to check that on your son. (a speech therapist saw it with my daughter and I had never noticed and her doctors never noticed) After she had them removed her speech was way better!
Pweek
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2008 at 9:52 PM
  It seems like I saw something about speech delays in regards to vaccines, but I'm not sure where. You might try looking at the side effects of the ingredients in vaccines.
  Also, my son finally began speaking after we went to the GFCF diet. As I understand it, he's not allergic to gluten, he just can't process it. Somehow, it acts like an opiate in his system, so, basically, he was trashed. About 2 weeks after we started the diet, he began trying to talk. He was 27 months old.
  My son has autistic symptoms, but I don't believe it is true autism. For him, he has food intolerances and gut issues, relating back to the Hep B vaccine, that manifest as autistic symptoms (severe speech delay, lack of balance, some stimming behaviors, etc.
  There is such a thing as delayed food allergies, which basically means that it takes a dose of the allergen several times over several days for it to affect the person. The effects can be somewhat subtle, so you don't always put the two together. Look at www.foodallergytest.com. There is a lot of good info there and if you decide to use their test, it is covered by insurance, but your doc has to do the blood draw, so you may want to discuss it with him/her.
adamsmama
by on Jun. 27, 2008 at 10:00 PM
A lot of people suspect some type of association between excessive vaccination and speech delays. I think it may be true for my niece. At 14 months she isn't saying even one word. She doesn't seem to understand much either. She routinely gets 5 or 6 injections in one doctor visit. Today she went in again and has bruises all over her thighs. I can't believe my sil isn't concerned about a possible relationship between the two. I would never have continued to vaccinate my son if he wasn't talking at that age.

nicarue824
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2008 at 10:50 PM
Personally I do not think that you can say there is a speech delay at 15 months.  Everything I have read said that if your toddler is not speaking at least 1 or 2 words by 18 months then have them evaluated.  My niece and nephew both had speech delays.  Neither of them spoke until they were 3, neither of them are autistic and they have a bigger vocabulary than I do! 

I too have a 15 month old (will be on July 4).  He does not say words as of yet.  I am not concerned in the least however and I won't be unless he is not attempting to speak at 18 months.  Just my opinion.

My LO was born in April and I belong to a April baby group here on CM.  A LOT of other April babies are not talking yet, only making sounds and babbling.  BTW, my son was NOT vaccinated on schedule and has not received a lot of the vaccines that are on the recommended list.

Educate before you vaccinate!

toddlerco sleeping

stay at home mom

baby

Sarah321
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2008 at 11:06 PM
I would not start worrying about autism if the only sign he has is a speech delay. i think kids vary widely in speech development regardless of vaccines and their role, although I am quite sure vaccines play a role in at least slowing down speech development in individual children. It does seem like a lot of people i talk to have their kids in speech therapy. I started speech therapy for my son, after a mom in gymboree said her son was in it and it was helping him. my son was vaxed except for flu and rota, up to 15 months. he is 27 months now. he may have developed faster had he not been vaxed, or maybe not, can't tell now. he has no signs of autism though, please don't worry about your son having autism just because of this. a lot of boys take longer to talk than girls, too. I think in my son's case it is a little bit of stubborness, the evaulator for EI even said this. because he will let a word slip out and look at you funny like he didn't mean to, because he knows we want him to talk more LOL.  but anyway i am rambling......if it makes you feel better have him evaluated...speech therapy can't hurt, and they can tell you if they see signs of autism or not

Do your part! Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Green your baby! Use Cloth Diapers!

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2008 at 11:07 PM
My unvaxd dd wasn't saying anything but mama, dada, and no at that age and could follow instructions well, but by two she was (is, just turned) speaking in 3-5 word sentences, which is actually far more than my son at that age.  My son did not have more that 10 words at two that he had EVER used; he just read his first "book" (Bob books) at 4yo this week and has no speech problems.

IMHO your son is not behind. 

Vax Research Post-JUST A LITTLE PRICK-Tabled Vax Injuries-Inside Vaccines-Over Vaccination?
-Age of Autism-VACCINES: WHY FEAR SELLS

Vaccines-The Risks, the Benefits, the Choices DVD, By Sherri J. TENPENNY
http://www.minimum.com/b.asp?a=vaccines-risks-benefits

"A new mother’s mammary glands take over from the placenta to provide the development guidance to ensure a baby’s genetic destiny is fulfilled." http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20081102-16879.html

bashfull_77
by Member on Jun. 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM
I truly believe that vaccinations caused my son speech delay but I have no proof. My son is just now starting to talk plain and he is 5. When my son was 2 his ped was concerned that he could not hear because all he talked was baby talk. I really was not so worried about it because I had never thought about how he did not talk. We went and had his hearing tested and it was fine but my son had seizures from vaccinations and I truly believe it affected his speech and he has ADHD and he had chronic ear infections and I blame the vaccinations.
MommytoNakoa
by on Jun. 28, 2008 at 12:23 AM
While I have no doubt that vaccines likely could contribute to speech delays, and probably do, I don't think I would worry just yet.

Boys usually talk later than girls anyway. Girls are usually always better with language skills.

My nephew(I assume he's fully vaxed) just recently started talking, and he's two and a half. I was concerned when I visited her last year, and he wasn't saying much, and he was almost two then. She says he talks all the time now:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)