Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT - My wretched horrible daycare experience!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 264 Total Views
OMG! I just need to vent ladies! I am a single Mom of a 9 m/o baby boy. I live in a suburb of New Orleans that has tripled, or even quadruppled in population since Hurrican Katrina. There are NO spots in day care and EVERY one that I called was booked 'till next August (that means people who aren't even pregnant yet are on the waiting lists for these places). Well I found one daycare with only one opening. It's a pretty big facility that can accomodate 20 children just in the infant room. I never wanted to send my son to daycare, much less one so big and even less one that wasn't Montessori, but i had no choice. I thought everything would be fine, but when I brought him on his frst day I showed the teachers his schedule - they took one look at it and said "oh no, this is all going to be different!" I almost cried right there. My son has been on the same schedule since the day he was born - a schedule that he naturally came up with on his own. Then when I put him on the floor of the center at 7:30 am the teacher picked him up and put him into a walker that didn't move and said to me "He's gotta stay in there 'till 8:30 b/c all the parents will be coming in and out..." I was like "What!?!" It's illegal for any child "while awake, children shall not remain in a crib, baby bed, swing, highchair, carrier, playpen, etc. for more than 30 consecutive minutes," as the law states. I don't believe in leaving achild in any of those things for longer that absolutely necessary. THEN, they tell me he has to keep a blanket there - can't bring it home and back everyday if I want to. THEN, they tell me he HAS to take a nap at 9am and they are going to WAKE HIM UP at 10 am and he HAS to take another nap at 12pm. OMG! I was freaking out completely. I got into my car and cried for twenty minutes while I frantically called my family members to see if someone could go get him. They couldn't. I went back there at lunch to check on him. None of the teachers saw me standing there and I watched my son cry - not whine but screaming crying - for two minutes and NO ONE tended to him. No one! Andthere were no other children crying - they were just palying with the other kids letting him scream in a johnny jump up. Untill they saw me of course then picked him up!!
I was livid. Absolutley livid.
On a happier note and to stop myself from writing a book here; I found a great small daycare who will accpet my son b/c we were refered by a family who sent three of their children to this center. Yay!!! I refused to send him to the other place another day - that was the hardest day of my life and I hope to never have to go through that again.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
joeykttn
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:19 PM
I'm sorry :( It's so hard leaving the kids with a daycare sitation we trust, one that will do what WE want with our children...let alone one who completely disregards you as a mother & does whatever the hell they want! I don't blame you a bit for not taking him back! I would have bawled my eyes out too, and sadly probably not acted as mature as you..I think I would have made it very clear to them exactly how horrible they were making me feel...ugh.. I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad you found a better place for him!
lamama
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:15 PM
I'm sorry for the experience..
I work in a Church doing the same thing and here in Texas at his age... The child is not to stay more than 15 (fifteen) minutes in one place.
All you have to do is ask for their State Mandated Standards.
Sometimes the caregivers are not the last word and I think that's where you made the mistake. You have to go to the Director... There is always a Supervisor in charge or better said... There has to be someone in charge and you always go to them.
Again I'm sorry you had to go through something like this
Much love from Texas!
Take the best care of the Little one
homeschoolmama
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 1:17 AM
WOW!  Umm yeah, I would be livid too!!  It is very difficult to put your children in a good daycare, I couldn't imagine feeling like my hands were tied and having to use a daycare like that!  That would be so hard!  Good for you that you found a better daycare, that is great.  That daycare sounded like a baby mill!
Abbysmommy2007
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2007 at 12:21 PM
wow!! i read this and i was mad! i actually work in a daycare( a kindercare) ,in the infant room for that fact and we have policies where we our babies arent suppost to be in a seat, or entertainer or swing...etc. for longer than 10 minutes, and we only use then when both teachers are busy feeding, or changing diapers, and we respect the infants own individual schedule!! but im glad it all worked out for you and im sorry for your bad experience
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)