Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

doctors appt tomorrow- help please!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:30 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 378 Total Views
okay, tomorrow is Prestons first check up since we decided to completely stop vaccinating (he had all of them up to 4 months and half of the 6 month ones). I dont know how our doctor will react, so any info you can give me from your experiences (good and bad please!) would be fantastic. she seems to be fairly pro- vaxing (we have only been with this doctor 2 months) so i am pretty anxious about it! thank you!

Summer, mommy to Preston

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthmama65
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:33 PM
Every doctor is different and since you had the other shots, it will probably come as a surprise to him.  To avoid debating him, if he gives you a hard time, just tell him you are in the process of researching and have decided to stop right now until you feel more comfortable and that there is nothing he could tell you that would put your mind at ease right now.
scb2007
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:41 PM
our first appt with her i only goit 2 shots for him bc i was concerned, so although she wasnt happy about it, she does know i've been researching.

Summer, mommy to Preston

zhen
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:58 PM
just be strong.. you are a mother now, and what you say goes..
If you feel very strongly about not vaccinating then you don't care what your doctor says. They don't know all..
scb2007
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Quoting zhen:

just be strong.. you are a mother now, and what you say goes..
If you feel very strongly about not vaccinating then you don't care what your doctor says. They don't know all..

thanks- my fiance and I have agreed that he will not be vaccinated anymore no matter what, and have decided if she is really that upset to ask her directly for a referal to a different doctor who will respect our decisions. I miss our old doctor- he was the one who encouraged us to research all of it. (He moved out of town or we would still use him!)

Summer, mommy to Preston

sepedaboyz
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:24 PM
I do not like confrontation especially with people that I don't know if I could have an educated debate with...like MD's. I know what I know and why I choose not to vax, but I also do not have a photographic memory where I can spout off facts to them. So I choose to avoid the "I'm not vax my child" talk as long as possible. I told my ped with my first son that I wanted to hold off until he was 1. She was fine with that. Then at his 1 yr check up I told her I wanted to hold off until he was 2. She was still pretty okay with it but I think she knew what I was up to. She of course always said something about one of the vax's and why it was so important but I didn't feel like she was trying to change my mind. I just 2 weeks ago took him to his 3 yr check up and took my new son for his 1 month check up where I just finally told her I wasn't going to be vax'ing either of them any time soon. I finally feel a little stronger and being able to hold my ground. But it still sucks and I hate every appt I go to. Which by the way, after I decided not to vax my first son after his 4 month check up I only took him to his yearly check ups. I didn't see a reason to go for them to weigh him and tell me how tall he was. I did that on my own.

Good luck. I hope your appt goes well tomorrow.
mommy11903
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 9:04 PM
Just so you won't be totally floored like I was when this happened to me. Our doctor actually kicked my children out of his practice because I refused to give Wyatt a vaccination that day! I was livid! And we gladly left.
rnbwbrite
by Head Admin on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:51 PM
Don't take off your child's clothes untill you have spoken with the Doc concerning vaxing. It'd suck to have to dress him if you wanted to just walk out at any point in the conversation.
I'm not a person who's very good at arguing my point or providing references off the top of my head or coming up with examples so I had to be really careful to just stand my ground whe the pedi gave me a counter argument to every point I made. I just had to say to myself before going in "No matter what he says, nomatter how convincing he may sound, I have done my research and I have made a decision and I will stick by it. Later on I can always look up the points he's made and then I can make the decision to vax later on." You can never un-vax once you have done it so even if what the Doc says sounds good tell him you'll think about it and get back to him/her. Don't allow yourself to decide right then and there to vax. You'll be emotional and not in the right frame of mind to make a rational decision.
rnbwbrite
by Head Admin on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:55 PM
PS - I personally choose to forego the well baby visits. They are completely unecessary and only for vaxing purposes anyway. If I want to know how much Bryce weighs I stand on the scale alone then stand on it holding him and subtract the two. If I want to know how tall he is I pull out the ruler. If I want to know his temp I get the thermometer out. There really is no point in wbv. My motherly instincts will tell me if something's wrong and he needs to go to the Doc. JMO.
scb2007
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Quoting mommy11903:

Just so you won't be totally floored like I was when this happened to me. Our doctor actually kicked my children out of his practice because I refused to give Wyatt a vaccination that day! I was livid! And we gladly left.

thats the reaction Mike and I expect to get tomorrow. We're pretty much prepared for it, and will also leave happily!

Summer, mommy to Preston

scb2007
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 1:07 AM
thank you all very much. i have actually printed out info that i have researched to take with me- because i am afraid i will forget my counter arguements. i know there isnt much of a point in WBV but we have had a little trouble here and there with Preston reaching some of his milestiones (some of them he is super early on- but some he doesnt get at all) so we are more comfortable going in and discussing those, not so much his size. I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow!

Summer, mommy to Preston

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)