Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just looking for advice

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:50 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 204 Total Views
 MY son is 15 months old, and has been up to date with his vaccinations so far. Recently however I have been worried he might be autistic and did my own research and have decided to not vaccinate from here on, him or any future children I have. I REALLY love our pediatrician, but I'm afraid she is going to have a problem with this. How do I deal with it? I am a very shy/timid person, so how do I stand up for myself/my son to our DR and relatives (who are all very opinionated). How did you handle it? What is the worst thing that has been said to you, and how did you deal with it? Just looking for advice - thanks

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 15 - 80 day cycle Ticker

Owner of http://www.cafemom.com/group/YoungMothers5156

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommy11903
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 6:20 PM
I used to be like you-shy and timid. Unfortunately, I have been hurt and let down, as my children have, by so many doctors that I just don't care anymore. The only thing I care about and the only people's opinions that matter to me anymore are my son's. The worst thing? Their previous doctor told me we had to leave his practice because my children were a liability. At first, I was in total shock. But then, I was so extremely hurt ( I thought I had put up enough walls to protect me from being hurt anymore :( ). I was mainly hurt for my boys because that gave me a small glimpse into their future and the things we were going to be dealing with, the things they would deal with. Then I regained my composure and got totally pissed. I told him "I was their mother and NO ONE had a right to tell me what I had to do to my children, especially if I believed wholeheartedly that it was going to hurt them. That was just wrong!" He looked a little taken aback and I really wanted to slap him so bad. He actually had the nerve to say, "well, if you change your mind, you're welcome to come back". I snapped at him, "we won't be back"! Then we left and that was that! I was so glad I didn't give in after it was over. We are the ones that have to live with it if we give in and our child suffers yet another reaction as would be both of my boy's cases if I had not stuck to my guns. I would rather have every doctor in the world hate me and think I'm a bad mom or an idiot than to have to look into my precious child's eyes and only see a blank look because he's brain damaged from those stupid vaccinations.  It is very hard, I will admit. Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would have just said, "I have decided not to vaccinate my children further. Just tell me if that's going to be a problem for you and we'll find another doctor, but it's not up for debate." This particular doctor wasted 45 minutes of my time and his own trying to convince me I was wrong. I wish I had just told him to shut it and left. But we live and learn and I feel truly bad for the next doctor that does that to me and my boys. Good luck! Stand your ground. It will get easier the more you have to do it and it will make you so proud of yourself and someday your children will thank you.
Dragonfly34
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 6:58 PM
You know, you could call the Dr. office, not saying who you are, and ask how the Dr. feels about not vaccinating.  At least that way you can better prepare yourself, and at least know what you're up against.  After that, just stay strong and true to your beliefs.

Cait5156
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Quoting Dragonfly34:

You know, you could call the Dr. office, not saying who you are, and ask how the Dr. feels about not vaccinating.  At least that way you can better prepare yourself, and at least know what you're up against.  After that, just stay strong and true to your beliefs.

Thanks, great idea! At least that will send me in with a general idea of what to expect

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 15 - 80 day cycle Ticker

Owner of http://www.cafemom.com/group/YoungMothers5156

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)