Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

REALLY need some quick advice... we're all sick! ***UPDATE***

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 532 Total Views

We NEVER get sick in this house.  But I came home from a show yesterday with a stomach bug that spread to DS (19 months) in a couple hours, then to DH a couple hours after that.  So we're all throwing up, all miserable, all have the runs.  No help from in laws because my parents caught it too and DH's family is busy. UGH this sucks. 

I'm 27 weeks pregnant tand don't want to take anything.  My question is: is it going to hurt the baby since i cant eat?  I have absolutely NO appetite?  I have kept my fluids up but I cant eat anything.  Any advice would be great. 

Thanks for everything, ladies.  This was the strangest, fastest moving bug I have ever seen.  I went on a father / daughter date with my dad and we both came home and got sick at the same time.  6 hours later, my son threw up, then another 6 hours later, my hubby got it.  Fortunately by the time DH got it, I was recovered ENOUGH to watch little guy.  (He's unvaxxed and recovered WAY faster than we did) 
I am feeling much better today and my appetite is starting to come back, though I am not going to over do it.  Baby is still kicking and moving so I know she's fine.  I was just worried that she was going to suffer because I was sick. 

The Dairy Council tells us:
Milk is nature's most perfect food.
The Dairy Council doesn't tell us:
Milk is nature's most perfect food for a baby calf, who has four stomachs, will double its weight in 47 days, and is destined to weigh 300 pounds within a year!
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:06 PM

My opinion is that it probably won't hurt your baby short-term.  Your baby gets first priority as far as nutrition and your body are concerned, so YOU will become deficient before your baby.

BUT I am no doctor.  I think you should call your OB/midwife, whoever you are using, and an ND.

Good luck, and feel better.

Love your ND?  Join my this group!
Veg or veg-curious?  Join my that group!
Nursing a toddler?  Join my the other group!

Living in a house of fire.

dovetailthreads
by Group Admin on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Well, the good news is that most stomach bugs are 12-24 hrs.  However last time I caught one, I was sick and throwing up for a day, and didn't feel anywhere near normal for a week.  It was hard to eat for that whole week.

I would call your midwife/dr and see if they can prescribe Zofran or Phenergan.  They're STRONG anti-nausea meds (phenergan is good for use at night b/c it'll knock you out) - both are considered safe to use during preg.

Take care of yourself - push the garlic and ginger too.  Hope y'all get better soon!

epoh
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:14 PM

yup I suggest giving someone a call if it continues for more than 24 hours . . .

other than that, I recommend starting everyone on the BRATTY diet for the runs: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, tea and yogurt.

I know you cant keep anything down, but try to eat two crackers. This will help settle your tummy in the long run. Keep up the fluid intake also, for everyone

Momto4babes
by Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:03 PM

I had hyperemesis during two of my pregnancies and they were both fine.  I couldn't take prenatal vitamins because I threw them up too.  As long as it is not prolonged (5 or 6 days) you should be fine.  You DO want to keep putting fluids in because dehydration can cause pre-term labor.  I am not a doctor so I do recommend you call yours but personally I would not "freak out".  Hope you ALL feel better soon!

Kcheeney
by Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Reglan made me freak out I wouldn't recommed it but I like the other one and it helped me sleep. I would say as long as you can drink a little you should be okay...Just try and stay hydrated. if it goes more than 3 days call your docter/midwife...ASAP! Hope you feel better!

MamaCass
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:22 PM

PLEASE DON'T TAKE REGLAN!

I would drink SMALL amounts of pedylite through out the day (like half an ounce at a time every 20 minutes).  The baby needs hyration and glucose...it is ok if you can't eat for a couple days but hydration is VERY important.  You can try the BRAT diet too...bananas, rice, applesauce, toast.

Your body is trying to purge the virus out of the system...

gmapoohz
by Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 1:08 AM

So sorry to hear about your miserable bug !

When I was pregnant and could not keep food down, I was told that as long as I could keep food down for 20 minutes, my baby would get enough nutrition from the food. So I would eat and keep it down for 1/2 hour and then if I threw it up I wasn't as worried.

I would be VERY wary and skeptical of any claim by any person, doctor, or company that any anti-nausea medication during pregnancy is safe for the baby.

However, at least you are past the first trimester, which is the most vulnerable time for baby.

Wishing you all to be well soon soon soon.

Gma Poohz

Mzjelybely
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 3:08 PM

bump for update

The Dairy Council tells us:
Milk is nature's most perfect food.
The Dairy Council doesn't tell us:
Milk is nature's most perfect food for a baby calf, who has four stomachs, will double its weight in 47 days, and is destined to weigh 300 pounds within a year!
Sarah321
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 11:53 PM

this is funny- we had the same thing this time last year- it was right before christmas and i would have been about 30 weeks preggo and my son was like 21 months old and started throwing up which he had never done before! i almost immediatly began the same thing and me and my husband were up ALL night in and out of the bathroom- oh it was the worst!!!! and being pregnant was worse b/c the baby moving made me nautious. of course my son got better very quickly - i think the next morning he was fine but me and my husband missed out on the christmas eve festivities that year.they had something on the news about the bug going around i think it was called the norovirus- and it is so contagious that you can catch it just by breathing the air near the vomit- i know that is gross but that is what they said LOL- anyway glad you all are feeling better and i am sure your unborn baby didn't even notice your illness- i don't think mine did lol

jonabrandon3495
by Member on Dec. 20, 2008 at 6:31 PM

hellowreath

Sorry to hear about the horrible bug illness to hit your home. I know its a pain to get sick exspecilly when your pregnantexpecting baby. our family got a terrible bug back in 1994 when was pregnant with my third son and my husband had to carry me to the restroom or clean after me. I didn't  know why I got the worst est of the BUG, it was because I didn't know I was pregnant at that time. so the reason I was so so sick was the bug + morning sickness, surrender(not fun). Prettiest part was when I discovered the lovely tornado that hit my home and clean. It seams like when you get sick even your house does to.

hope you all are filling bettefamily in the vanr.hope you have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

holding ornamentsthe delgadillo family

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)