Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone seen a speech evaluater?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 328 Total Views

So we finally saw a pediatrician after over a year.  Found a great one that didn't give me a hard time about vaccines at all.  I'll add her to the list. 

Everything is great - my son is perfectly healthy.  However, she is concerned about his speech.  She wants him to be evaluated for his speech.  He doesnt really say anything (19 months) although occasionally he will say dog, water, juice, a couple more things.  But that is about it. 

Anyone else have a late talker?  Or have you seen a speech therapist before?  How on earth are they going to get through to a 19 month old? 

The Dairy Council tells us:
Milk is nature's most perfect food.
The Dairy Council doesn't tell us:
Milk is nature's most perfect food for a baby calf, who has four stomachs, will double its weight in 47 days, and is destined to weigh 300 pounds within a year!
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emma0828
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:21 PM

bump

~My two loves~

~Wife to Brian, momma to Clare~

ben127
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:23 PM

man at 19 months? they would probably take mine away from me since he says fewer words then your does and hes 2 yrs old. boys are tipically slower talkers and they usually burst out talking rather then adding a word a week. if you think he's fine then i wouldn't worry about it. you can even do the "therepy" at home yourself. just repeat words and name everything. make sure he's looking at your mouth when you talk and you can even write the words and tape or glue them on things.

ElShaddi
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:24 PM

My son is in speech therapy he goes twice a week. His pedi didnt get concerned until he turned 3 though. They use puzzles and toys to help him make sounds.

My Photobucket SlideshowMy 3 beautiful children

aarkat
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:40 PM

Like previous poster, my son's ped didn't become concerned until he was 3.  At that point we did testing (speech evaluation, hearing, and vision).  He has articulation problems, but his language development is a bit above avg., and his vision and hearing are fine.  He was a bit of a late talker also, but we had other ways of communicating.  Now we get free (public funded, anyway) speech therapy through the school system.

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:32 PM

My ds wasn't any further along at 24months, then within three months he was getting chatty. I wonder if the fact that most children are in daycare by that age if ped's expectations are higher. My son was my first and home with me; he didn't need to talk much because I could anticipate and understand him without a lot of words.

You could try some Leap Frog videos.

Vax Research Post-JUST A LITTLE PRICK-Tabled Vax Injuries-Inside Vaccines-Over Vaccination?
-Age of Autism-VACCINES: WHY FEAR SELLS

Vaccines-The Risks, the Benefits, the Choices DVD, By Sherri J. TENPENNY
http://www.minimum.com/b.asp?a=vaccines-risks-benefits

"A new mother’s mammary glands take over from the placenta to provide the development guidance to ensure a baby’s genetic destiny is fulfilled." http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20081102-16879.html

mom2alittleman
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:44 PM

My son is the around same age and only talks when he wants to. If he can gesture to or I anticipate  what he wants he doesn't bother. Since he understands what i'm telling him; ie do you have potty pants on- he will go and stand by his changing table, are you thirsty- he'll walk to the fridge and point to his juice or soy milk or food if he's hungary; i'm not to worried about it. If YOU feel like he's behind then see a therapist, if not I wouldn't worry until he's a little older.

BTW if you ever tried to teach him sign language then he'll speak later then other children because their needs are being met and they don't feel the need to talk.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
aarkat
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:00 PM

I was just at the speech therapists office today, and we were discussing baby sign language.  She told me that it does indeed help with language development.

aggiewife
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:25 PM

2 of my 4 kids have had speech for delay...but i too am surprised that at 19m they wanted to test your child...most will wait until age 3....

If i were you i'd wait...no sense in treating something that may all of the sudden start..unless you think there is a hearing problem w/your child....???!!! 

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

IFLY39
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 6:36 AM

Wow consider your self fortunate..early intervention is key with speech and language.. as a mom of 5 sons all who developed at different rates. i have had two sons in speech therapy.. it works wonders..I am convinced this is one more reason well baby visits with a pedi are so important..

Baby sign ROCKS!! my baby 15 moths ..uses it it is amazing .. it really helps with their frustration when they want somthing.. and when he learns a new sign, the word usually follows very close behind

V8Momma
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 6:43 AM

My little guy has motor skill delays so was already seeing a developmental therapist.  He started speech therapy when he was 18 months old. (they do an evaluation first to see if he really needs therapy).  One thing the speech therapist does is integrate using sign language into the therapy.  This way, if there is a delay in speech he has some tools (sign language) to communicate with.  Can you imagine being intelligent enough to know what you want or need and not be able to communicate that?  He gets really frustrated when he can't communicate then the screaming starts.  He can't point and grunt for everything. He picked up sign language really quick too and it's been GREAT!

Your son being 19 months old seems young, but if the therapist evaluates him and thinks he needs therapy now instead of waitiing, I would go ahead and do it.  Early intervention is best when it comes to delays.  At least having him evaluated would ease your mind about what to do.

Each state has an early intervention program run by the state.  They are cheaper than going to a hospital for services.  (for Colorado, see : http://www.eicolorado.org/ )  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)