Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vitamin K?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:07 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 762 Total Views

Question: I know there have been many posts on here about Vitamin K. I am quite certain I do not want my baby to get the shot. However, my question is, do you think it's best to give the oral dose or not do it at all?

Don't bother, it's really not necessary.

Get the oral dose, better to be safe than sorry.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

Question #2  How long does it take to get the oral dose, how much does it cost, and what is the website you can order it from?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:27 AM

formula has vit k and breastmilk will have it if you eat the right foods. babies dont make it so they love pushing this shot which has 100 times more synthetic vit K than neccessary. For me I did not use oral drops but if it helps you worry less than go to one of these sites and get natural vit k in drops or load up on spinach, sprouts, cauliflower, and brocolli.

The Healthy Child site gives you a number to call and the recommended dose either the baby should have or the breastfeeding Mother. I never called so I dont know how much it is.

Recommended sites:   (tablet)

by Member on Jan. 4, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Quoting sarabear:

Question #2  How long does it take to get the oral dose, how much does it cost, and what is the website you can order it from?    Sara

If you are having your baby in a hospital, let them know in advance you want the drops instead of the injection and request that they procure them.  The hospital will not allow any item you buy and bring to the hospital to be given to your baby.

You can purchase the drops on line, one site is, in case the hospital claims to not have them, then give to baby at home.  Order the drops as soon as possible - we purchased them on-line for our grandbaby, I don't remember the cost but it wasn't much.  You can't purchase Vit K drops in the U.S. without a doctor's prescription.

There are variations on the recommended dose, the most recent I read is 2 drops at birth, 1 drop at 1 month, then 1 drop at 6-8 weeks. 

Some say it can help for mom to ingest foods high in Vit K prior to birth, but most info I have read states that baby does not receive Vit K while in utero.  However, mom can boost the Vit K in her breastmilk by what she eats.

Most baby formulas are very high in Vit K, and when combined with getting the Vit K injection, which gives way too high a dose, the formula fed baby gets even more overdosed.  In my opinion, it is grossly negligent for hospitals to give the Vit K injection and not warn parents who, for whatever reason, will be giving baby formula instead of mommy's milk. 

Of course, hospitals don't inform parents of the jaundice risk of the Vit K injection either - for babies already prone to jaundice, getting the injection instead of the drops without warning the parent is criminal, in my opinion. Getting the Vit K drops has no jaundice risk.

If you end up having a C-section, the hospital will really fight you to give the Vit-K injection, but you have the right to refuse.  You must have relatives/support persons coached in advance so that your baby is NEVER alone with hospital staff only.  If you don't, the hospital will very likely give your baby the Vit K injection, despite your stated refusal. 

Even if, God forbid, your child is born with unanticipated serious medical issues, you can remain firm and insist on the drops - but you need to be firm in your resolve in advance.

If you would like further details, contact me any time.  Congrats on your expected arrival and good luck !

Gma Poohz

by Member on Jan. 5, 2009 at 4:07 PM

With my first child (born in mega hospital), I took oral Vit K supplements to allow her to receive it through my milk.

With my second (born at home), I didn't add any Vit K because I had been taking precautions every day before pregnancy, during pregnancy, and post-partum to be healthy. My baby didn't need intervention beyond that.  God designed moms to feed newborns breastmilk, not add a bunch of stuff to the babies, especially intraveniously!

It's so sad a very small number of kids suffer the hemmorhage or whatever, but it's due to a predisposition in the mom or baby to where the mom/baby are not healthy. If you are healthy, I would say don't worry about it.

That's just my 2 cents and I totally understand giving the oral Vit K to your baby if you feel it's necessary. I may in the future if I haven't been in good health.

by on Jan. 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I was just going to ask about the same thing.  I am due with #3 in July, and am going to reconsider this shot.  I never did research about it with the first two.  It seemed like a no brainer to stop possible hemmoraging, but I have done so much changing in my thought process since then. (unfortunately for my first two)  I'm hoping my nurse-midwife will be able to give me some good info and advice on it as well.   Thanks for the website links.

by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I just wrote an article on vitamin K for the latest Mother magazine if anyone gets that.

I found out afterwards that nettle tea has vitamin K in it so if I ever got pregnant again, I'd drink that every day during my pregnant to help prevent vitamin K deficency bleeding.

My 2nd daughter had the oral drops (first daughter wasn't offered anything - I think she slipped through the net), and all my others I refused vitamin K because I'd learnt more about it.

If you have a medicated pregnancy your baby is more likely to bleed, esp. anti-biotics, blood thinners and anti-epilepsy drugs, so it's best to avoid antibiotics and talk to a doctor about how to manage any other drugs you take because it's a major trigger for the disease.

by Member on Jan. 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I'd be interested in any research anyone has done about mommy ingesting Vit K during pregnancy - if that really transferred to the baby in utero, it seems to me that some babies would then be born with Vit K in their system, since people's diets vary and some mom's are bound to be ingesting ample quantities just by their regular diet. The babies whose moms ingested more would have more.

I remember reading an explanation about why babies are born with virtually no Vit K, and why they can't receive it from mommy in utero - I will look it up again. 

Nothing wrong with mommy ngesting it anyway, and maybe that will mean more of it in mommy's breastmilk when baby is born.

If it has been established by any mainstream research that Vit K can be transfered to baby in utero, seems to me the doctors would be pushing for the moms to be injected with Vit K during pregnancy, or at the very least pushing for mom's to ingest foods high in Vit K. 

Gma Poohz

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)