Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bananas

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:44 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 243 Total Views

im starting to think that my son is having a skin reaction to bananas. it took a while for me to pin point what was causing his chin and cheeks to flare up into a rash. at first i thought it might be his teething biscuits but he has had those before and never had a reaction. i put off bananas for a long time and now when i feed them to him this happens. if he drinks it from a bottle in a juice form nothing happens. ive noticed a slight diaper rash but nothing alarming.  i would have a pic but i cant get him to STAY STILL lol. does anyone have any info on just a skin reaction to bananas? i know allergic reactions can show in different ways but how would i def. know what its from and what else i cant give him before he has a full blown reaction? thanks.

*~Jacqlyn~*
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
iamom05
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I know a few kids that get more ear infections from eating bananas but I haven't heard of skin rash. I'm sure it's possible though. Are they organic bananas? If not, then maybe it's the pesticides on the fruit, my kids won't eat anything but organic bananas they're just sweeter tasting. imo. When I worked in child care I had an infant who couldn't keep any jar food down, I finally gave him some of my daughters organic jar food and he kept it all down. Just a thought.

jjmloper
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I agree with the pp.  Switch to organic if they arent.   They taste way better.  I cant even stand regular bananas now.  My husband always refused to eat bananas then I told him to try the organic ones and now he wont stop eating them.  Regular bananas, on top of the pesticides that are sprayed on them while they are on the trees, are put in a metal box and pesticides are sprayed on them before transportation..ewww..

V8Momma
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I ran across an article a while back on Phenols.  Foods high in phenols (which bananas are)  can cause (among other things) red face/ears.  Here's the link:

http://www.danasview.net/phenol.htm

KaiTheInvader
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM

he's more than likely allergic to them, if there's no change other than eating bananas when he has that reaction. it's completely possible to be allergic to bananas, it's caused by some enzyme in the bananas, and the sensitivity is the same one that makes some people allergic to latex or kiwi (not that he'll necessarily be allergic to either, it's just related.) if it bothers him, just don't feed him bananas anymore.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

"The reason I breastfeed: It's the difference between spending $30 a week on dog food or feeding your dog steaks for free."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)