Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how are you not scared that they will pick up some disease you could vax for?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:31 PM
  • 37 Replies
  • 1188 Total Views

why I keep going over should I/shouldnt I in my head I have no idea. Ive done a ton of research on both sides and I feel either way is scary!

Anyways, how do you not worry that your kids will pick up some type of hepatitis or something...like my in laws are NASTY ppl (we rarely see them but they're not completely out of our lives like Id like) and it really freaks me out that they could be carrying some disease and give it to my precious kids...

HELP ME HERE!!! :0)

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ciejsgirl
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I am in the SAME BOAT as you right now.  My doctor is really pushing me to vax but I have the same questions in my head as you!!

Jenn74
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I guess for me, my oldest daughter is severely autistic so that is some of my reasoning...I watched her turn from an 18 month old girl who waved bye bye and said ma ma -da da- ba-ba -cookie and sissy....to never saying anything again....SO that was PART of my decision...the other was that I asked my doctor if my children could die from any of the diseases that im not vaxing for...he said the only one for sure would be the whooping cough, so when it was going around when my youngest was four months old, i got him the dtp shot....the thing is he ended up in the hospital four days later with pnemonia....that i think the vax caused...so i guess just my own experiences have brought me to know that my decision not to vax has been a good one...My child that has not had any vaxes is also my most healthy....my first was vaxed until she was 18 months then my second child only got her first set of shots....my third in line has not had any and my son only the dtp the one time....my kids are rarely sick and actually seem to have a better immune system than a lot of kids that have been vaxed...good luck to you....Jenn

Loa1002
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:47 PM

What disease are you worried about?  Then I would research the crap out of it and look for natural ways of healing your LO if she/he got it.

There are 2 ways people get sick. One is they are around someone that has it and their body or immune system is not strong enough to "fight" it or our body develops the disease with in.

There are many people here that use supplements to help children and adults immune system like vit D, Vit C and probiotics etc.

Ashmom614
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:54 PM

well Im most worried about the things like hepatitis b and stuff...I mean seriously I thought that was one Id never have to worry about since its mainly an std. But then I got to thinking, my in laws are so trashy Id never know...Id like to have them do some blood tests for infectious diseases before they're allowed near us lol

Quoting Loa1002:

What disease are you worried about?  Then I would research the crap out of it and look for natural ways of healing your LO if she/he got it.

There are 2 ways people get sick. One is they are around someone that has it and their body or immune system is not strong enough to "fight" it or our body develops the disease with in.

There are many people here that use supplements to help children and adults immune system like vit D, Vit C and probiotics etc.

ThaMCE
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I understand what you're going through. As a parent, it's natural to be worried about everything when it comes to your children.

HappytexasCM said it best a couple of weeks ago, "Vaccines aren't 'force fields'."

I've done my research (not solely Internet-based), and I got a great book called "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children." by Aviva Jill Romm. This book has natural remedies for some VPD's like measles, mumps, chicken pox and more.

I basically have decided that I am going to practice PREVENTION instead of worrying or getting her vaccinated (keeping in mind that we can delay or selectively vax too, but we're not going to at all). We're always home most of the time, but when we go out we just have to be vigilant. There is no 100% guarantee that the vaccine will work or will not cause a serious, irreversible reaction.

For our family, the risks of vaccines outweigh the benefits and my DD2 had a horrible reaction at her 2 month round and she was gasping for air. THAT made me worried sick! There are unvaccinated adults out there too, so it's really pointless for me to keep my kids in a box. There was another book mentioned in this group that I'm planning on getting (I shortened the title. There is a green apple on the cover) "Vaccine Alternatives." by Ervin Davis. The posts in this group and the support have also eased my fears and worries about vaccines in general. Arming yourself with reliable information and practicing prevention really will ease your mind. I can't be the "vaccine police" when I go out or when I'm around people, but I have to make sure that I have the right information/remedy should something happen. 

Michaella, Supermom to 9 year old Maija and 1 year old Jasmine, engaged to my best friend Joe...

Ashmom614
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:57 PM

thanks for replying...sometimes I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if I dont. Its so hard being a mother and I only want the best things for my kids! I appreciate the info!

Quoting ThaMCE:

I understand what you're going through. As a parent, it's natural to be worried about everything when it comes to your children.

HappytexasCM said it best a couple of weeks ago, "Vaccines aren't 'force fields'."

I've done my research (not solely Internet-based), and I got a great book called "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children." by Aviva Jill Romm. This book has natural remedies for some VPD's like measles, mumps, chicken pox and more.

I basically have decided that I am going to practice PREVENTION instead of worrying or getting her vaccinated (keeping in mind that we can delay or selectively vax too, but we're not going to at all). We're always home most of the time, but when we go out we just have to be vigilant. There is no 100% guarantee that the vaccine will work or will not cause a serious, irreversible reaction.

For our family, the risks of vaccines outweigh the benefits and my DD2 had a horrible reaction at her 2 month round and she was gasping for air. THAT made me worried sick! There are unvaccinated adults out there too, so it's really pointless for me to keep my kids in a box. There was another book mentioned in this group that I'm planning on getting (I shortened the title. There is a green apple on the cover) "Vaccine Alternatives." by Ervin Davis. The posts in this group and the support have also eased my fears and worries about vaccines in general. Arming yourself with reliable information and practicing prevention really will ease your mind. I can't be the "vaccine police" when I go out or when I'm around people, but I have to make sure that I have the right information/remedy should something happen. 

Mzjelybely
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM
Watch the movie by Dr. Sherri Tenpenny called Vaccines: the risks, the benefits, the choices. That will put your mind at ease. It's 3 hours long but worth every second. You'll leave that movie COMPLETELY confident that you made the right decision. All her information comes from the CDC and medical literature. It's obvious after her research that the vaccines are way more dangerous than the diseases. First of all, all the diseases we vaccinate for are recoverable. NOT ONE of them is a death sentence. Dr's will try and scare you to death about meningitis, pertussis, tetanus, you name it. NOW they're trying to scare us to death about CHICKEN POX. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD THAT'S THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING I'VE EVER HEARD!

ThaMCE
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM

No problem! I felt the same way and said the same thing! There are lots of other good books out there that can help if you haven't seen them already "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears (I know, I know, I DID like the information that I got from that book) and "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Childhood Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave. Mary Tocco's video (it's 2 hours long, but SO informative). I also have a link to Barbara Loe Fisher's (from NVIC) blog on my page if you need to read from a vaccine advocate's perspective. Your instincts will tell you what to do. Last week my LO had a cold and she was running around the house as if she was never sick in the first place! Instead of medicating her to death, she rode it out, and she's all better. Stay strong, mama. :)

Quoting Ashmom614:

thanks for replying...sometimes I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if I dont. Its so hard being a mother and I only want the best things for my kids! I appreciate the info!

Quoting ThaMCE:

Michaella, Supermom to 9 year old Maija and 1 year old Jasmine, engaged to my best friend Joe...

Kimosabe
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:10 PM

The chances of your child contracting Hep B are about Nil. It is transfered through sexual contact and needlesharing. Newborn babies are only at risk if their birth mother has Hep b and it is transfered to her child during the birth process.

Worrying about your inlaws being "nasty" is easy to remedy, just don't let your kids visit them. Use what ever excuse it takes, or move far away from them.My parents live in the US, I live in Australia. My situation is different, I want my parents to see their grandchild, but her cousins are another story. LOL.

As for the other diseases, things like the measels and chix pox are not as dangerous as they have been made out to be in recent years. Once your child has these they are immune for life. The effectivness of vaccines wears off, assuming the vaccines will work in your child's body, in 5-10 years, making booster shots throughout life necessary. Have you had any booster shots lately, if not you are not "protected" yourself. I'm not.

Things like HIB and Polio. These diseases do not exist any longer, and not for the reason you think.

You should get Neil Z Miller's new book Vaccine Safety Manual for Concerned Families and Health Practitioners: Guide to Immunization Risks and Protection.

It came out in 2008 so it is very up to date.

Also go onto

www.tracingvaccinations.com

For now I would delay the vaccines, you can always give them later, but you need to do your research and then decide once you are 100% confident and comfortable with your decision.

Good Luck

ImNotASheep08
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:28 PM

The chances of getting hep b is is as much of the chances of getting HIV. It's contracted the same way. I believe many diseases can simply be prevented through good sanitation and diet. I have faith that my children's bodies will fight off anything that comes it's way. Vaccines are not full proof. An antibody does not equal immunity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)