Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stainless Steel Crowns for 6yr old? OT

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 3191 Total Views

I know this isn't the best place to post this but I've been researching all day, and haven't been able to come up with much.

My 6 yr old has 2 teeth that the dentist said needed to have SSC put on them- because the are too far decayed to be regularly filled with composite (tooth colored). These teeth are baby teeth, and should fall out in a few yrs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The dds said that there is also the option of a composite crown, but that they do not last as long and are not covered by ins-$500 out of pocket. I do not mind paying it if the stainless steel ones are dangerous -I read that they have nickel in them, but cannot find the amount....or what long term side effects are...

They are also talking about using lidocaine and laughing gas in conjunction with each other, which has me concerned. Any info would be greatly appreciated as dh and I are going crazy going back and forth. We also have the option of doing space maintainers, but dds said that it might not leave enough room for the adult tooth to come in...ugh! So confused!

Jenn

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jjmloper
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:06 AM

If the teeth aren't in the front I would just have them pulled.  My son knocked out a front tooth when he was 8 months old and I took him to a few dentists.  They all said that it wouldn't have any effect on the adult teeth, even the spacing.  If you want to go for the crowns I would ask the dentist exactly how much of what is in the specific ones he uses.  As far as the stuff to knock him out, I'm not really sure other than I'd only let them use one or the other, def. not both. 

ashleysparks82
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:01 AM

My son had a silver cap on one of his teeth in the back. I can't seem to remember when he got it but he is almost 8 mow and he had it pulled and a spacer put in on Friday. He had an infection in it and it was bothering him pretty bad so they decided it was best to pull it.

StarMommy77
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Having them 'pulled' isn't the right course of action. The baby teeth serve as space maintainers for the adult teeth.. Pulling them, your dentist would have told you that they would have to place a space maintainter.. otherwise who knows where they will come down when they are ready to emerge..

SSC is the correct way to go on this..

Nitrous or laughing gas is a great way for the procedure to be as stressfree as possible.. My son and I have both had nitrous and it makes lengthy procedures go smoothly.. By the time you leave the office all the nitrous will be out of the system.. they put the patient on oxygen for a while to help flush the Nitrous out of the bloodstream...:)

Sounds like your dentist is on the ball! :)

StarMommy77
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Quoting jjmloper:

If the teeth aren't in the front I would just have them pulled.  My son knocked out a front tooth when he was 8 months old and I took him to a few dentists.  They all said that it wouldn't have any effect on the adult teeth, even the spacing.  If you want to go for the crowns I would ask the dentist exactly how much of what is in the specific ones he uses.  As far as the stuff to knock him out, I'm not really sure other than I'd only let them use one or the other, def. not both. 

Lidocaine is basically novacaine.. You can't use it in place of Nitrous.. Nitrous only relaxes a paitent.. it is not a nerve block.. which would DEF be needed for a procedure like this.. I recommend both esp for a six yr old and a procedure like this one..

jonabrandon3495
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:48 PM

HELLO,ladybug

I HAVE HEARD THAT METALS BEING PUT IN OUR TEETH HAVE MERCURY. THAT SOME LEARNING PROBLEMS IN CHILD HAVE BEEN THOUGHT TO BE A CAUSE OF THE FILLINGS AND CAPS. I WON'T LET ANY OF MY KIDS GET CAPS AND MAKE IT VERY CLEAR TO THERE DENTIST. WHEN THERE YOUNG ITS A BABY TOOTH IHAVE HAD IT PULLED OR FILLED SO IT CAN FALL OUT ON ITS OWN, MOST THE TIME IF IT FAIR GONE THEY PULL IT. ONE TIME A DENTIST CAP MY DAUGHTERS TOOTH WITH OUT PERMISSION AND I WAS PISSED. WHEN I GOT TO SPEAKING TO HIM I WAS NOT TO NICE. HE TOLD ME IF I WANTED TO HE WOULD TAKE IT OFF AND NOT BE MAD BECAUSE IT WAS A BABY TOOTH. I RESPONDED TO HIM CAN'T YOU READ BECAUSE , I WROTE IT BOLD LETTERS ON ALL MY KID PAPER WORK AND TOLD YOU NO CAPS. HE JUST REPLIED I'LL TAKE IT OFF AND TOLD HIM NO NOT TO EVER TOUCH ANY OF MY KIDS TEETH AGAIN AND I WAS PAYING HIM A CENT. I WENT HOME AND CALLED MY INSURNANCE AND WAS TOLD IT WAS A WASTE OF TIME SUEING BECAUSE HE OFFERED TO CORRECT IT. NOW STILL TELL DENTISTS NO CAPS AND TELL ME FIRST BEFORE WORK DONE ON MY CHILDREN. ITS MY CHILDREN AND MY MONEY.

family carcredit card

npmom
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Quoting StarMommy77:

Having them 'pulled' isn't the right course of action. The baby teeth serve as space maintainers for the adult teeth.. Pulling them, your dentist would have told you that they would have to place a space maintainter.. otherwise who knows where they will come down when they are ready to emerge..

Yes, we would have to do a space maintainer. I have no problem with this. To me this sounds safer than SSC. I know that maintaining the space with baby teeth is best. However, like others have said, I have found that the ssc contain nickel- and I am not sure how comfortable I am with that.  The also have a tendency to get infected or get pulled off.

That is less of a concern to me than the pulpotomies that have to be performed beforehand- here's a link http://cyberdentist.blogspot.com/2006/09/what-is-pulpotomy.html. They use a medication called formocresol which I have found contains formaldahyde- http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-71/issue-10/749.pdf

not thrilled about that. I guess since it is topical its not a big deal?

StarMommy77:has your ds had this done? I would feel better if I knew someone who had gone through it:)

I also have since found out that the proceedure with the caps is 1800$-which I have ins for- the proceedure with extraction and spacers is less than half. Seems strange..

The dentist was very nice and seemed on his game, I just wanted to be sure and research everything first- and get some valuable opinions from you ladies:) Thank you!:)

V8Momma
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Regarding spacers, my brother knocked out his front top tooth when he was 2 years old.  They did not do any spacers (this was in 1969) and he just had a gap there until his permanent teeth came in.  They came in fine, he never needed braces or anything and has a great, straight smile. 

I would probably do the spacer and NOT the cap. 

StarMommy77
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Quoting npmom:

Yes, we would have to do a space maintainer. I have no problem with this. To me this sounds safer than SSC. I know that maintaining the space with baby teeth is best. However, like others have said, I have found that the ssc contain nickel- and I am not sure how comfortable I am with that.  The also have a tendency to get infected or get pulled off.

That is less of a concern to me than the pulpotomies that have to be performed beforehand- here's a link http://cyberdentist.blogspot.com/2006/09/what-is-pulpotomy.html. They use a medication called formocresol which I have found contains formaldahyde- http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-71/issue-10/749.pdf

not thrilled about that. I guess since it is topical its not a big deal?

StarMommy77:has your ds had this done? I would feel better if I knew someone who had gone through it:)

My son also had the pulpotomies. I chose a different route with SSC and chose to have resin fillings done as my son is 9 and not 5 or 6.  Capping the tooth was very easy as long as your dentist has exp doing this. On the other side of my son's mouth abcessed and saving the tooth was not an option.. (There was overhang from a resin filling and the dentist who placed the filling did not fill the tooth the way he should have. Leaving the overhang (under the gumline) allowed in bacteria; decay to happen) he had a drain placed and then an extraction. The space maintainer was not placed properly and caused a laceration on his gums leading to an ifection.. IMO.. teeth should not be pulled willy-nilly they also serve as space maintainers below and above... a close eye would need to be paid top the entire quadrant. HTH!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)