Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It wasn't a shortage, it was a RECALL PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 471 Total Views

I live in MN, and I heard on the news about five cases of the bacteria that causes meningtis... I wanted to know more cuz of course the "drive-by media" didn't go into much details, just said go vaccinate your child! I found this story and I have to say that my heart goes out to the family here that lost their child but I can't help but wonder what the whole story was... was the child breastfed, did they try to treat the child, was their some other reason for the death?? I can't imagine making the decision to not vax and then losing your child to one of the diseases... I used to lay away at night freaking out it, scared with each slight fever my son had (most likely just due to teething...) I was worse than a first time mom! I vaccinated my older two and I regret that and I don't regret that my 18 month has never received a vax and at his 2 year visit when his allergies will be retested (blood draw) we will also do the titers to check his immunity and go from there... I don't really know what to do at this point... maybe we should give him the Hib vax at his next checkup... our doctor is ok with our decision but has always said that the two he recommends are Hib and DTap but with our plan to wait until he is 2 then he wouldn't need either... I usually ask if there has been any outbreaks of anything at my son's well baby check ups but I forgot a couple weeks ago at his 18 month one...

Anyway, my whole point of posting this was because I am mad that the article says "shortage" of the Hib vax, but declines to mention that the shortage was due to a RECALL!

Minn. illnesses worry CDC officials

ATLANTA - Five Minnesota children have grown sick - and one of them died - from a germ that can cause meningitis, causing U.S. health officials to warn of the importance of a common childhood vaccine.

The Hib vaccine, which is given to babies, has succeeded in reducing U.S. cases of the bacterial illness to about only 20 a year in children younger than 5. But a cluster of five cases occurred in central Minnesota last year in young children. One child, who was 7 months old, died of meningitis in November.

No other states have reported such an increase. But Minnesota's disease surveillance is unusually good, so problems in other states could be developing, said Dr. Anne Schuchat of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Three of the five children - including the dead child - had not received any vaccine, due to a decision by their parents. But a shortage of Hib vaccine may also have contributed, CDC officials said.

Haemophilus influenzae Serotype b (Hib) can cause meningitis, pneumonia and other dangers. Because of a Hib vaccine shortage that started in 2007, CDC officials say doctors should defer for most children a booster dose given at 12 to 15 months. But they say there's enough for children to get necessary doses at ages 2, 4 and 6 months.

Lucas Robert was born July 6th, 2007! 
Christopher Steven turned 4 on November 27th!
Danielle Brianna turned 5 on September 8th!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kk_bella
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I made a two month appt for my son but missed it because I knew they were going to pressure me to get the shots instead of just talking to me about them which was what the appt was for.

Anyway, they called me the day of the appt and said they needed to reschedule because there was a shortage in vaccines. I suppose there was a shortage because of the recall.

It just blows my mind that a vaccination is recalled and people are still getting it, but if a baby swing is recalled, everyone rushes to get their money back and talks about boycotting the company.

mnmo3bb
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Yeah, I know! My son would have gotten the vax that was recalled before they figured out what was wrong! That made it clear to me that I had made the right decision... I suppose if I talk to my doctor about it now, he wouldn't be as concerned since my son is now older... I guess we will find out in July!

Quoting kk_bella:

I made a two month appt for my son but missed it because I knew they were going to pressure me to get the shots instead of just talking to me about them which was what the appt was for.

Anyway, they called me the day of the appt and said they needed to reschedule because there was a shortage in vaccines. I suppose there was a shortage because of the recall.

It just blows my mind that a vaccination is recalled and people are still getting it, but if a baby swing is recalled, everyone rushes to get their money back and talks about boycotting the company.

Lucas Robert was born July 6th, 2007! 
Christopher Steven turned 4 on November 27th!
Danielle Brianna turned 5 on September 8th!

GranolaGoth
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I did a google news on Hib recall and I'm not finding anything current, but look at all the different dates of recall news on that one....

Hib vaccine recall alters booster recommendations.(News)
Free with registration - Family Practice News - AccessMyLibrary.com - Jan 15, 2008
In response to a recall of the Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) vaccine, providers are urged to temporarily defer administering the Hib booster dose ...
… : Merck announces voluntary recall of 1... - American Family Physician - AccessMyLibrary.com (Free with registration)
All 2 related - Related web pages

Vaccine recall leads to delaying Hib booster.(NATION IN BRIEF)
Free with registration - Nation's Health - AccessMyLibrary.com - Feb 1, 2008
Following a December voluntary recall of Haeomphilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccines because of concerns about sterility, federal health officials have ...
Related web pages

Vaccine Recall Changes State's Requirements
MyNorthwest.com - Feb 22, 2008
... influenzae Serotype b vaccine, known as Hib vaccine, from four to three, ... 12 Merck Co. of Whitehouse Station, NJ, announced a recall of 1.2 million ...
Related web pages

Children's Vaccine Recall
KNX1070 - May 10, 2008
The recall involves 10 lots of Hib vaccine and two lots of a combination vaccine for both Hib and hepatitis B, a Merck spokeswoman said. ...
Related web pages

Hib vaccine recalled.(IMMUNIZATIONS)
Free with registration - Child Health Alert - AccessMyLibrary.com - Jan 1, 2008
The brands involved are made by Merck and include PEDVAXHIB and the HIB combined ... we think, is that there is no health risk linked to this vaccine recall.
CDC says to defer most Hib vaccine boosters.(Infec... - Pediatric News - AccessMyLibrary.com (Free with registration)
Merck recalls 13 lots of HIB vaccine.(VACCINE... - Biopharm International - AccessMyLibrary.com (Free with registration)
All 4 related - Related web pages

Lakenheath hospital receives a fresh supply of kids’ vaccine

Stars and Stripes - Apr 30, 2008
Due to routine use of the Hib vaccine since 1990, Hib-related disease in infants and ... The recall was due to a possible contamination of the vaccine. ...
GranolaGoth
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Oh, the shortage is still due to those recalls. WOW

CDC Stresses Importance of Hib Vaccination for Young Children
MedPage Today, NJ - Jan 23, 2009
The increase came during a nationwide shortage of Hib vaccine stemming from a Merck recall of some of its Pedvax HIB and Comvax products in December 2007. ...
Five children were infected with a bacterial infection ... CNN
Resurgence of rare disease leads to warning: Vaccinate Minneapolis Star Tribune
CDC Warns of Spike in Hib-Linked Meningitis Among Children U.S. News & World Report

wulfbourne
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:35 PM
Quoting GranolaGoth:

Oh, the shortage is still due to those recalls. WOW

CDC Stresses Importance of Hib Vaccination for Young Children
MedPage Today, NJ - Jan 23, 2009
The increase came during a nationwide shortage of Hib vaccine stemming from a Merck recall of some of its Pedvax HIB and Comvax products in December 2007. ...
Five children were infected with a bacterial infection ... CNN
Resurgence of rare disease leads to warning: Vaccinate Minneapolis Star Tribune
CDC Warns of Spike in Hib-Linked Meningitis Among Children U.S. News & World Report

If you read the comments section of the article from the minneapolis star there are some interesting ones.
"I am just wondering WHY every disease seems to "start" in Minnesota. Makes you wonder if someone out there is "intentionally" starting diseases out there to make an example of yet more scare tactics..."see what happens if you don't vaccinate". Nobody knows this child's history and until they do they should not talk or put people down. My own son had an anyphalactic reaction at 4 months of age when my son received all 30 of his shots...really 4 injections but 7 vaccines at once. Who knows what shot caused this for him so we witheld all shots. So please don't judge until you know.Lar summer in Minnesota it was a measles outbreak...this year HIB...next year polio???? watch out sounds scarry to me"

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)