• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

prednisone and immunizations

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:02 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 704 Total Views

My 6 yr. old neice was recently on prednisone due to trouble with her asthma and dog allergy. About the same time she recieved her immunization to start kindergarten. Does anyone know if there are any delayed or permanent issues that this can cause? I know they say a child isn't supposed to get immunization until about 2-3 weeks following steroid treatment but I can't find info on why.

Is it just a fear the immunization won't work or does it cause bodily damage ....?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
dillertwins08
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:36 PM

I always thought it was because prednisone suppresses the immune system so your body can't fight the diseases in the vaccines as well.  I am sure the vaccines would work the same but her chances of getting sick from the vaccines are a lot higher.... I would hold off till she stops the steroids!

4_for_now
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:51 PM
I have no idea.. I didn't even know this. I just knew you can't use ibuprofen while you are on prednisone.
asherraifsmom
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:10 AM

my dad was on high doses of prednisone off and on for years for an autoimmune disorder.

Prednisone lowers your immune response; i'd think with live vaxes it could mean GETTING the illness (like wtih chicken pox vaccine, etc), also it could mean the vaccine doesnt "take" so to speak because the immune system isn't able to build antibodies like it should.

Also, just a sidenote...have they tried other methods to deal with the allergies and asthma? Prednisone seems like an awfully strong drug to deal with dog allergies and asthma....

(this coming from someone who's family  all have fairly extreme allergies and asthma, and experience with prednisone...)

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

pregnancy week by week

Heather, crunchy Christian wife and mama to my sexy husband, Trevor, my cuddle bear Asher and to my little peanut!

sighsmom
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:18 AM

seems kinda ironic don't it.?? on prednisone which oppresses the immune system for autoimmune disorders?

Almost all my dad's kids ( including me) have some kind of autoimmune disorder, he's one of them that was exposed to agent orange in vietname:( UUGH wonderful huh?

My one brother has addison's disease and they treat with prednisone he looks puffy ALL the time.

Quoting asherraifsmom:

my dad was on high doses of prednisone off and on for years for an autoimmune disorder.

Prednisone lowers your immune response; i'd think with live vaxes it could mean GETTING the illness (like wtih chicken pox vaccine, etc), also it could mean the vaccine doesnt "take" so to speak because the immune system isn't able to build antibodies like it should.

Also, just a sidenote...have they tried other methods to deal with the allergies and asthma? Prednisone seems like an awfully strong drug to deal with dog allergies and asthma....

(this coming from someone who's family  all have fairly extreme allergies and asthma, and experience with prednisone...)

asherraifsmom
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:23 AM

autoimmune disorder means you have an overactive immune system that attacks itself. So its not really that ironic. Mind you, i'm pretty much against allopathic medicine altogether and believe my dad could have been TRULY HEALED by natural methods, but that being said, for those who DO use allopathic medicine and it's ideas, it makes "sense" (loosely using the word) to use prednisone because his disease was an overactive immune system.

Quoting sighsmom:

seems kinda ironic don't it.?? on prednisone which oppresses the immune system for autoimmune disorders?

Almost all my dad's kids ( including me) have some kind of autoimmune disorder, he's one of them that was exposed to agent orange in vietname:( UUGH wonderful huh?

My one brother has addison's disease and they treat with prednisone he looks puffy ALL the time.

Quoting asherraifsmom:

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

pregnancy week by week

Heather, crunchy Christian wife and mama to my sexy husband, Trevor, my cuddle bear Asher and to my little peanut!

autumnsmommy02
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:47 AM

She does use a nebulizer and has a different kind of med she takes daily but she almost wound up in the hospital when even those wouldn't help and she couldn't breath. They did prednisone.

Quoting asherraifsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)