Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insurance (Kinda OT)

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 197 Total Views

The reason I am posting this in here is because I know many people in this group use naturopaths instead of MDs. I am lucky enough to have found a practice that has both (and 3 acupuncturist/herbalists!).
Anyway, the issue is this: My husband's company was privately providing our insurance, and they covered pretty much everything. So we were seeing the MD and the naturopath, and were doing a lot of naturopathic/homeopathic treatments. Well, the company decided that they need to save some $$, so they switched us to Blue Cross/Blue Shield as of January 1. Lovely f-ing BC/BS doesn't cover naturopaths OR acupuncturists OR herbalists!! They also will not cover any herbal or naturopathic treatments (prescription-wise). 
It seriously pisses me off that they won't cover this stuff! So I am considering fighting them on it. Has anyone had any experience with this? 

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
StarMommy77
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Hmmmm I would look at dropping the INS.. and picking up AFLAC with a cancer and surgery rider and start your own bank account for your ND visits... Put the funds you were spending on INS into the account.. and shop around for INS....  that will pay for NDs.. HTH.. GL

aeneva
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Well it must just be your plan or BC/BS in your state.  Our BC/BS policy covers alternative treatments though not at as well as they cover a regular MD.  They will pay 70% of most alternative treatments.   I would still be giving them a call, but I don't think you will get anywhere because it is most likely the plan your company choose to go with.  I agree with the other poster about just taking the money and getting your own plan or putting it into an account.  We did just that before I took the job I am at now because our insurance sucked and cost a fortune.

Courtney
Wife to SAHD Eric 8-21-04
Mom to Zac 5-11-05, Neva 6-2-07
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)