Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Probiotics

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:09 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 382 Total Views

I have a question-would it help strengten my breastfed baby's immunity, if i took probiotics? (i already give her infant probiotics).

Thank you!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Myroslava
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:33 PM

BUMP

scattycarrot
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM

If your LO is already getting probiotics then that should be enough. Your LO wouldn't really recieve any benefit from you taking probiotcs; other than having a healthy momma of course! I take sodium ascorbate daily(which passes through mommas milk)to boost my LO's immune system. I also give vit d 400iu to protect agasint the flu (I live in WI and so we don't get much sun here in the winter months; I will stop supplementing in the spring).

Myroslava
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Thank you so much!

Quoting scattycarrot:

If your LO is already getting probiotics then that should be enough. Your LO wouldn't really recieve any benefit from you taking probiotcs; other than having a healthy momma of course! I take sodium ascorbate daily(which passes through mommas milk)to boost my LO's immune system. I also give vit d 400iu to protect agasint the flu (I live in WI and so we don't get much sun here in the winter months; I will stop supplementing in the spring).

stummegirl
by Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 12:24 AM

What probiotics do you give already? 

This is what my son's pedi recommended.

http://www.natren.com/life_start.asp

Myroslava
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I give her Udo's Choice Infant Probiotics, no one recommended it to me, i just found that on Amazon. I guess, i will try what your pedi recommends, and see, if there is any difference (she gets mucousy stul quite often, can' t figure out, if there is somethin that i eat). Thank you!

Quoting stummegirl:

What probiotics do you give already? 

This is what my son's pedi recommended.

http://www.natren.com/life_start.asp

stummegirl
by Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 1:48 AM

My son had mucous in his stool even before I started the probiotics. So I don't think it's from the probiotics. I do know that my son has only gotten sick twice this year though and he hasn't gotten sick the whole cold and flu season. So I know that the probiotics help also with the other vitamins I give him. I also give him vitamin C and multi vitamin. Also he eats almost completely health foods because I am a nut about that. Almost all organic too. He has the rare fast food but I mean rare...like 10 times this year and it was all in the month we were remodeling our house and we didn't have a kitchen.

I don't know much about the probiotic you give her but I am sure it is fine for now. If you want to switch to natren that is also good. but it is $15 a bottle. So it's up there in price.

KTee922
by Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I have started using Culturelle probiotics.

It says on the box that "it survives stomach acid and intestinal bile, unlike many other probiotic strains."  I am not sure exactly what that means but the other one that was recommended to you does not mention that.

Dr. Sherri Tenpenny said that "I should use the Culturelle" so that is the one that I use.

hope that I have helped you.

Gretchen

Myroslava
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Yes, you have! Thank you!

Quoting KTee922:

I have started using Culturelle probiotics.

It says on the box that "it survives stomach acid and intestinal bile, unlike many other probiotic strains."  I am not sure exactly what that means but the other one that was recommended to you does not mention that.

Dr. Sherri Tenpenny said that "I should use the Culturelle" so that is the one that I use.

hope that I have helped you.

Gretchen

Suchunuba
by Member on Jan. 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I have a question about probiotics too. What are they for? I have noticed that a lot of mamas give them to their babies but I don't understand what they do. Is it enough for me to eat yogurt or is that something else altogether? Sorry to ask in someone elses post.

Myroslava
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2009 at 12:16 AM

It's ok , you can ask-plus it is a bump:)

Probiotics are for improving flora of the intestine. When the baby is born vaginally, they get all the good bacteria, while coming through the birth canal But when it is a c-section, or mom is on antibiotics during labor, which destrois all bacteria, bad and good, then baby doesn't get much if at all.  Probiotics just repopulate the intestine with good bacteria, that helps digestion and also helps with immune system.

I guess, adults can eat yogurt, but babies can't. Also, i think,they might be stronger (bigger quantity of bacteria) then yogurt....

Quoting Suchunuba:

I have a question about probiotics too. What are they for? I have noticed that a lot of mamas give them to their babies but I don't understand what they do. Is it enough for me to eat yogurt or is that something else altogether? Sorry to ask in someone elses post.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)