Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age is your immune system mature?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 2528 Total Views
I'm in the process of reviewing vaccine info. because we are seeing a new ped. I can't seem to find info. about when your immune system is fully mature. I want to say it is around 6-7 years of age. Does anyone have a link to some info?
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cristinaberger
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM

The immune system is so complex, even the immuniologist admit that they only understand 1% of it's functioning. I am not even sure that you can call the immune sytem "mature", it's not an organ.

Read more about what the immune system is and how it works here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/immune-system.htm

megmotta
by Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I've done very little research on this question, but it is a question I'm interested in researching.  I asked our Chiro a few months ago about this.  Her reply was that scientist that study the immune system have done tons and tons of research on this and have determined that the immune system develops at different speeds and stages.  She went on and on, but basically we wanted to know at what age was a "good/better" age to start vaccinations. She said not before 18-24 months.  She said the immune system was mostly fully developed around 11-12 years old. 

I don't want my LO to be vaccinated, but I have to compromise with DH who is all for vaccines.  DH agreed to hold off until our LO was 18 months.  We decided (mostly DH decided) that 18 months was a reasonable amount of time to wait.  We will only give him 1 vaccine at a time and space them about 3 months apart. 

Again, I've not done any research on her answer...just food for thought.

3rdtymsthecharm
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 9:38 AM

oh hunny i'm all for trying to reach a compromise with hubbies on most things but your childs health is nothing to play around with.

Quoting megmotta:

I've done very little research on this question, but it is a question I'm interested in researching.  I asked our Chiro a few months ago about this.  Her reply was that scientist that study the immune system have done tons and tons of research on this and have determined that the immune system develops at different speeds and stages.  She went on and on, but basically we wanted to know at what age was a "good/better" age to start vaccinations. She said not before 18-24 months.  She said the immune system was mostly fully developed around 11-12 years old. 

I don't want my LO to be vaccinated, but I have to compromise with DH who is all for vaccines.  DH agreed to hold off until our LO was 18 months.  We decided (mostly DH decided) that 18 months was a reasonable amount of time to wait.  We will only give him 1 vaccine at a time and space them about 3 months apart. 

Christina, Medical student, nonvaxer , noncircumcising,  single mom to

spastic_poodle
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 9:52 AM

A lot of delayed vaccinators start at 2 because that's when they believe the immune system has significantly matured.

cristinaberger
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I would love to be able to protect my child against diseases. Unfortunately, the day I would vaccinate him, regardless of age, would be the end of my peaceful nights, from that moment on I would always be in fear and looking for signs of side effects. That's just me. Maybe I am selfish and I care more about my peace of mind than my baby's health?

antivaccinemom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Quoting cristinaberger:

I would love to be able to protect my child against diseases. Unfortunately, the day I would vaccinate him, regardless of age, would be the end of my peaceful nights, from that moment on I would always be in fear and looking for signs of side effects. That's just me. Maybe I am selfish and I care more about my peace of mind than my baby's health?

Ditto, I would NEVER vaccinate for ANY reason!!! Even the vaccines that have shown some efficacy STILL disrupt and damage the immune system so where is the protection?

And I protect my son already from diseases. We eat lots of veggies, stay away from sugar, get sunshine, fresh air, exercise, breastfeed as long as possible, and trust in the Lord, these are our vaccines!

Loa1002
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM

My thoughts exactly. I am at peace knowing if something out of the ordinary happens (cold, fever, runny nose etc) I KNOW it is not a vaccine side effect and know I can handle it.

Quoting antivaccinemom:

Quoting cristinaberger:

Ditto, I would NEVER vaccinate for ANY reason!!! Even the vaccines that have shown some efficacy STILL disrupt and damage the immune system so where is the protection?

And I protect my son already from diseases. We eat lots of veggies, stay away from sugar, get sunshine, fresh air, exercise, breastfeed as long as possible, and trust in the Lord, these are our vaccines!

Loa1002
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I agree with PP-your sons health is not something to compromise on
Do not give up or give in

Quoting megmotta:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)