• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping teens healthy(Slightly OT)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 179 Total Views

Okay I'm a bit frustrated. My son(14) decided to start "going with" a let'ssay "not so squeaky clean" girl. I don't think she's "wild" but she had many issues including living in a houseful of addicted adults(alcohol and drugs). I don't want my son to catch anything from her. He has not done anything but a closed mouth kiss on the lips but the idea of her germs giving him something freaks me out. I am making it extremely hard to see each other outside of school so there won't be anything going on that I don't know of. Am I being completely paranoid? She's EMO and in group therapy 4 days a week for previously cutting herself. Anybody have experience with anything like this? I want to keep him away from her completely but don't want him to become rebellious so am hoping the relationship is short-lived. Sorry had to vent here because it made me think of vaccinations(the germ component), not that I would vaccinate but it does get scary when your teen starts kissing.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mothertory
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I don't really know what to say except: I understand.  My son is always attracted to the girl who seems the most "bad" for lack of a better word.  Not knowing you or your son, I can't give informed advice.  Have you considered having her over to your house and getting to know her better?  If he likes her because she's different, you liking her will do 1 of 2 things.  Either he will decide he doesn't like her anymore because you are so welcoming or he will learn that you are a person who doesn't judge people and try to emulate you.  It depends on how your relationship with your son is.  Have you talked to him about safe sex and all that?

I know this is all over the place and I'm not trying to judge you, your son, or this girl.  I think the key is communication,  Talk to your son.  Talk to the girl.  I don't think he is going to catch something from her by kissing unless she has cold sore outbreaks, and there are no vaxes for that anyway.  Talk, talk, talk and hope that you have taught your son enough to make good decisions.  Best of luck to you!

SxdUpAngel
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM

If you allow them to see each other outside of school and do things with your family she might change her ways.  You could monitor them and set rules so that they're not having sex and so forth.  OR you could keep them separated until he lies about where he's at one day.  I understand wanting to protect your child completely, you just have to do it a certain way.  Even then it's not going to be 100%, ya know? She can't help her family's crap.  She obviously hates it (cutting, self-mutilation).  Maybe being with your family will help her, as well as protect your son...

pregnancy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)