Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really kinda freaking out

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 467 Total Views

After this long day of worrying about whether or not my daughter actually has WC, I think she may.  Granted, I still think my other children had it first but of course the doctor is going to focus on the fact that my youngest is unvaxed.  I have been reading Dr. Tenpenny's book and it says any child under 1 year should be under the care of a physician if they have WC.  Well, I really don't want to go back to my doctor after the way she treated us.  What do I do?  I am taking tons of Juice Plus+ capsules, extra vit c, (there is plenty of vit A in the Juice Plus+) and we are doing the wet sock treatment.  She is still having coughing spells on and off and I hate seeing her like that.  What should I expect if I have to return to the doctor?  I know that they have most likely already reported it since Dr. Tenpenny's book says they report suspected cases.  I am still not even considering vaxing but I know I'm going to get hell about it even moreso if she does indeed have this.  Any suggestions for helping with the mucous?  I read somewhere that the salt compress shouldn't be used in babies or young children.  I am scared.  I really could use some more comfort and advice.  I really hate that they are focussing on her and saying the other two can't possible have it just because they are vaxed but what can I do?  I've already argued with her about it and right now all I care about is getting my baby well.  So, do I follow up with this dr. or not?  (see previous post Angry! Whooping Cough?)  Thanks in advance ladies.

Take Care and God bless, Kristen Lovell Distributor, Juice Plus+ The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you. It's that they are so good for you they could save your life. By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20, 2003 www.staythecourse4health.com
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovellskt
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 12:41 AM

bump anyone?

Take Care and God bless, Kristen Lovell Distributor, Juice Plus+ The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you. It's that they are so good for you they could save your life. By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20, 2003 www.staythecourse4health.com
MamaCass
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2009 at 4:24 AM

Get your vitamin in in the form of ascorbic acid.  it is more absorbable.

I would also make sure that baby is getting enough vit D.  I donno where you live but you might want to get some supplements of probiotics and vit D 3.  My son is suppose to have 2000 units a day when he is not ill...I wanna say that it is 1000 for a child under 1, but look up some information about vit D in high doses to treat illnesses.

I donno what you are feeding baby, but obviously, the boobie milk is the best.  I know that goats milk produces less mucus, but that would really depend on the age of your baby.

Finally, see what you can find out about natural expectorants like Fenugreek to help break up congestion.  Lots of health food stores carry various elixirs for kids to help break up mucus.  

IFLY39
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 6:06 AM

we are dealing with w/c amd have been for 5 weeks.... i dont envy you it is a long drawn out illness that is very difficult to watch...

lovellskt
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Quoting IFLY39:

we are dealing with w/c amd have been for 5 weeks.... i dont envy you it is a long drawn out illness that is very difficult to watch...

Were you on any anitbotics?

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2009 at 9:15 AM

I'm not sure what Juice + is, but it sounds like juice plus vitamins. I would cut back on the juice because juice is essentially sugar water and no matter how much vit C they claim to put in there, it is not at the level you get by taking sodium ascorbate.

Unless your babe is having breathing problems or you suspect pneumonia, there is nothing a Dr. can do.

The antibiotics will not alter the course of the disease in one who is already showing symptoms. Antibiotics are given to infants under six months to prevent pneumonia and to family members as apreventative.

Quote:

Giving cough medicine probably will not help, as even the strongest usually can't relieve the coughing spells of whooping cough.

During recovery, let your child rest in bed and use a cool-mist vaporizer to help loosen respiratory secretions and soothe irritated lungs and breathing passages. (Be sure to follow directions for keeping it clean and mold-free.) In addition, keep your home free of irritants that can trigger coughing spells, such as aerosol sprays, tobacco smoke, and smoke from cooking, fireplaces, and wood-burning stoves.

Kids with whooping cough may vomit or not eat or drink much because of frequent coughing. So offer smaller, more frequent meals and encourage your child to drink lots of fluids. Watch for signs of dehydration, too, including thirst, irritability, restlessness, lethargy, sunken eyes, a dry mouth and tongue, dry skin, crying without tears, and fewer trips to the bathroom to urinate (or in infants, fewer wet diapers).

If your child has been diagnosed with whooping cough and is being treated at home, seek immediate medical care if he or she has difficulty breathing or shows signs of dehydration.

lovellskt
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM

No, no sugar in it at all.  Juice Plus+ takes the juice from 17 fruits and veggies and dries it at a controlled temp to keep all nutrients then gets rid of the salt and sugar and puts it in capsule form.  Really healthy and not dangerous at all.  It's no different than eating those fruits/veggies just minus the salt/sugar.  The only reason I asked about the antibiotics (which I don't really like taking at all) is because the doc said we have a really small "window of opportunity" to take them if she has WC.  My issue is, if she really thought she had it, why didn't she give her the dang test to confirm and prescribe them?   The only thing I know any antibiotic might do in this situation is help with any secondary infection like pheumonia or whatever.  But I'm just so frustrated because I don't really know for sure WHAT she has.  It could just be bronchitis.  There is no whooping but I don't think there necessarily has to be.  Honestly, I don't know at all what this is since my stupid doctor did nothing but harass me and barely even looked at my child.  She used to be so good with my kids but I guess when you no longer bring 4 kids in to shoot them up with poisons you lose a lot of money for the vax and the sicknesses that are no doubt going to follow.  UGH, I am so pissed right now. Oh- one more thing.  She says, well maybe some orange triaminic will help.  Um ok, but she didn't say how much she could have (and I don't think it would work anyway and don't use otc stuff unless it's natural) and that stuff says not to use for kids under 4. Stupid doctor.

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Quoting lovellskt:

No, no sugar in it at all.  Juice Plus+ takes the juice from 17 fruits and veggies and dries it at a controlled temp to keep all nutrients then gets rid of the salt and sugar and puts it in capsule form.  Really healthy and not dangerous at all.  It's no different than eating those fruits/veggies just minus the salt/sugar.  The only reason I asked about the antibiotics (which I don't really like taking at all) is because the doc said we have a really small "window of opportunity" to take them if she has WC.  My issue is, if she really thought she had it, why didn't she give her the dang test to confirm and prescribe them?   The only thing I know any antibiotic might do in this situation is help with any secondary infection like pheumonia or whatever.  But I'm just so frustrated because I don't really know for sure WHAT she has.  It could just be bronchitis.  There is no whooping but I don't think there necessarily has to be. 

I would still take the sodium ascorbate. Since your child already has the symptoms, the "window of opportunity" to give antibiotics (to alter the course of WC) has passed.

Bronchitis in children is normally cause by a virus; the same viruses that cause stuffy noses and coughs.

The common symptoms of Bronchitis in children are runny noses, sore throats and low-grade fevers. They may also experience fatigue and chills. There's usually a dry cough at the onset of the ailment. This cough then turns into a productive cough as mucus develops in the lungs. Children may also wheeze and feel tightness in their chests with Bronchitis.

So the treatment is basically the same for either disease at this point, though cough supressent would not help WC, but may help in bronchitis, so she can rest.

lovellskt
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I am taking the sodium ascorbate too.  I started yesterday.  Thanks for all your advice. 

hillary_rose
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

It may not even be the same stain of WC that they Vax for. If you really want to you could take her to a walk in clinic and tell them she "has all the shots she needs." But they may just give you a nasty cough syrup. You can give you DD Colloidal Silver. You can give her 3 teaspoons a day. Do you go to a Chiropractor?

lovellskt
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 11:48 AM

We have a chiropractor but it has been awhile since we have gone.  I've heard a little about coloidal silver, what can you tell me about it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)