Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whooping cough?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:05 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 212 Total Views

I was reading someone else's post about them thinking thier child has whooping cough.. She mentioned how the child hasnt had a fever and my son has been really sick for a couple weeks now..  I'm just wondering if you have whooping cough without fevers? If you could get it without the horrible sounding cough, just a normal cough?

My son has had a runny nose for maybe 3 weeks, like endlessly runny. Then he started coughing but its mostly at night, for a couple of nights he had a cough that sounded EXACTLY liek croup but teh doctor said his chest is completely clear but it went away. So she thinks its allergies.. He's had no fevers. The coughing wakes him up at night gaging and he has made himself throw up quite a few times from the coughing. His chest is still clear, I can hear it. So that has made me think it's in his throat. But he hasnt had the whooping cough cough.

We tried allergy meds for 3 days and there was no difference.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
aeneva
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:55 AM

We were exposed to a confirmed by lab test WC case when my daughter was about 16 months old and my son was about 3.5 years.  Well DS has had some vax (his reaction to the second DTaP is what made us stop) and DD has had nothing.  Because I knew they had been exposed I upped their Vit C and Vit A and Vit D.  They both got a cough that lasted for about 2-3 weeks, but never sounded like the whoop.  My 16 month old threw up a couple times from coughing so much at night, but the 3.5 year old never did.  They didn't have fevers or anything else so I never took them to the doc and just treated at home.  Because of the definite exposure I am pretty sure that is what they had, but never got it confirmed.

Courtney
Wife to SAHD Eric 8-21-04
Mom to Zac 5-11-05, Neva 6-2-07
lovellskt
by Member on May. 9, 2009 at 6:54 PM

I think you may be talking about my post.  My daughter's cough has never had that "whoop" sound either but I will say she has the cough day and night so I don't know.  She still has no fever (neither do the other two that have the cough).  I hope you child feels better soon.  Whatever this is, it sucks. :( 

Take Care and God bless, Kristen Lovell Distributor, Juice Plus+ The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you. It's that they are so good for you they could save your life. By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20, 2003 www.staythecourse4health.com
Kayere
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. After reading up more on whooping cough, Ive decided my son prolly has it and we are taking him back to the doc to get him tested to be sure, since immunity comes with having it. Reading though the symptoms of it brought up a couple of other things he had but I wasn't sure were related. Like watery eyes to the point where it looks as if he has an eye infection, I have to clean his eyes during the night. My fiance doesn't want to stop the allergy meds though is frustrates me. Always fighting with me about hwo I'm not a doctor and the doctor told uys to give him teh whole bottle. As soon as we get it confirmed that its whooping cough though, Dakota will be off those crappy meds and hopefully back to himself soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)