Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Radiation Therapy

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

Hey Ladies, most of you are soo informed and you might have access to this info quicker then I can.  My question is this, I have an elderly Grandmother (she is in her 90's) and she has breast cancer the doctors are telling her she has to go through radiation because if she doesnt then she will be in a lot of pain and the rest of her days on earth will be horrible.  Her husband died on Mothers Day and she is very lonely constantly talking about dying and being with her hubby in heaven. She has dimentia so she is quite mean to the care givers that are taking care of her etc. etc.  my father and my aunts and uncles all think she should start this radiation come next monday and I think it is a BAD idea, I just E-mailed my dad that maybe they should get thier hands on some marajuana for the pain....have NEVER thought about that before but it is suppose to help with the pain with cancer patients right?  I figured it could take away the pain and melow her out a bit.  History on the family, very proper, extremly wealthy so they might think this is just very low class and would never go for it.  So my question is how bad does radiation hurt the body and will it really take away the pain???  References would be great.

Thanks ladies!!!

Lisa

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stpalmsgirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I never heard that radiation will take away the pain and I totally agree with you instead of sending her through treatment at that age I'd supply her with a good stash of quality weed to try to make her days as comfy as can be. Sorry I don't have much info on the radiation.

bringmepeace
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I agree with this. She can eat it if she doesn't want to smoke it. The radiation will make her suffer more. She wants to be free dont make her suffer more. If you can get your hands on hemp oil its way better than weed. Its made from the resin on the weed. Thats the medicine part of the plant. I dont mean the hemp oil made from the seeds either. Good luck.

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

I never heard that radiation will take away the pain and I totally agree with you instead of sending her through treatment at that age I'd supply her with a good stash of quality weed to try to make her days as comfy as can be. Sorry I don't have much info on the radiation.

ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Radiation is a horrible way to go. It is a barbaric treatment in and of itself and doctors themselves report only a 20-30% success rate with it. (whatever that means!) My mom's cousin chose to do it and he is hobbling around miserable and looks like a burn vicitim. Get her on some good antioxidants plenty of water and nutritious foods (and weed for pain-if she needs it) and wait it out. She will be a lot better off.

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

WheresMyCape
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 12:21 AM

I know that radiation treatment can have some pretty brutal side effects. However, for the sake of helping you understand why they might recommend it, if radiation is effective in shrinking or destroying a tumor, that can relieve the symptoms caused by the tumor. Also, if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body, sometimes radiation can help relieve pain. That kind of therapy is called palliative radiation therapy. Here's a link with some info. Depending on the specifics of your grandmother's conditions, maybe radiation would make some sense for her. Whatever decision is made for her, I know how hard it is to watch someone your love suffer from an illness. I hope you can help your family come to whatever decision will help ease her pain as much as possible.

Marla

Photobucket
Blinkie Maker

emslala
by Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Hmm... As a medic working in the private sector, I have seen a lot of patients such as your grandmother. From what you have described, they are wanting to give her palliative radiation, not theraputic radiation, right? The difference is- theraputic radiation is meant to help completely eradicate the cancer, but palliave radiation is only meant to slow the cancer or kill part of it in order to improve the patient's quality of life (relieve pressure/pain, etc.). Here is a short but informative article on palliative radiation.
Honestly, to me, it becomes a quality of life issue. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration. How advanced is her dementia? If she doesn't know what's going on, they may have to sedate her for the radiation treatments because you have to be absolutely still the whole time to ensure the radiation doesn't hit the healthy tissue. Is she oriented enough to know not to pull off bandages? A common side effect of radiation is skin reddening & peeling (like a sunburn). Most doctors will say that it will not happen with palliative radiation (only theraputic radiation), but I have seen otherwise quite a few times.  
Does she know what is happening to her? If so, what are her feelings? If she has the mental capacity to understand what is happening to her, then IMHO, her wishes should be respected for her dignity.

As for marijuana, I have heard that it does help with pain (since it relaxes you). It also does wonders with nausea. However, all my info there is 2ndhand... I am in Texas, so it isn't legal here yet.
If she doesn't want to smoke it, there's always pot brownies. I have a great double chocolate brownie recipe that you can toss some into. Just let me know, & I will PM it to you. 

Good luck to you and your Grandma. I will be praying for her. ((HUGS))  

LisaGrehn
by Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Thanks Ladies I have passssed all your suggestions on to my father who then can decide to give it to his family.  He agrees that the Pot would be better then Radiation but I dont think he is goin to suggest it..he says that all the family has gotten together for the first time to take turns coming to the condo to take her to her sessions, he wants the family to go there and say goodbye, he seems to think she wont last long with the radiation and at least the family is coming together to be with her for her (in my opinion) death sessions.

Oh well, I am thinking about going up to Toronto in the next few weeks and if she is doing bad then I will try to get my hands on some weed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)