Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My doctor recommended the DPT shot

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 273 Total Views

Hey Everyone,

I took my DS in for his yearly check-up yesterday, and my doctor kinda surprised me. DH & I chose not to vax our kids, starting w/ our oldest. None of them have ever received a single vaccine. When we told our doctor that, she simply said, "Good for you." Nothing else. She's never pressured us into vaxxing our kids. After my younger two were born, she said, "You're still not vaxxing?" We said "No" and that was it. Still no pressure, not a mention about vaccines at all. The entire doctor's office knows we don't vax, they've never said anything to us about it.

Well, when I took my DS in yesterday, she mentioned the shots again. I still said no. She said, "Well, just to warn you, there was a case of a child taken to the ER w/ whooping cough, who is now on a ventilator." (Or respirator.. I get the two confused, lol) Something along those lines... She encouraged me to get all 3 of my kids the DPT shot. I was kinda surprised. She's said nothing about it for the past 7 years, but now? I'm wondering if maybe she's under pressure or something? I told her that me and my 8 siblings have never been vaccinated, are all very alive and healthy. She said, "Just b/c nothing's bad happened doesn't mean it's safest." Blah blah. Whatever. Well, I told my mom about it, and she said it's one of the most dangerous shots out there. I haven't done much looking, but does anyone know of a website I can go to, that gives a little more info about it? I'd like to do some research, even tho I've already pretty much decided my kids won't get it. I'm against any shot period, and her making a statement like that won't change my mind- I'm not easily swayed. But I do feel a bit disappointed. Confused. I thought she was on my side all along? I love her, I respect her opinion, but of course, that doesn't mean I'll obey it.

Sorry this is long.. Thanks for reading!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aarkat
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:00 PM

my childrens ped. told me that after a child is over 6 months old they are not likely to get deathly ill from whooping cough.

autumnsmommy02
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I have have nothing positive to say about the DTP shot!

I won't chance it. I had whooping cough when I was a kid and I was fully vaccinated. I've seen 2 babies die following that shot (even thought the dr.'s deny the shot caused the death ... SIDS)and my husbands cousin was immediately sent to the hospital following his shot when it caused seizures. He was severly brain damaged and spent 27 yrs. having the severe seizures until a grand mal killed him. They paid the family off through the vaccine compensation fund but their son was gone forever!

Unfortunately I didn't know anything about vaccines when I had my dd and she was fully vaccinated.  Ironically she's autistic.

Good Luck in your research!

OB says February 5th but I know better! :)

iamom05
by Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I don't have the information on me but thought I would share my experience. :) My oldest dd(just turned 4) was up to date for dtap and my other daughter is completely unvaxed(will be 2 in oct). Anyways.... back in March they both got whopping cough bad. My oldest (fully vaxed) had a horrible time getting over it, her body just could not fight it well. She ended up with pneumonia, all while my little one's body had no problem fighting it off. We just used homeopathy and natural alternatives for both kids. I have no doubt my oldest struggled because of her compromised immune system. She used to get sick all the time when she was vaxed. 

Idk. Doctor may be feeling the pressure, if she's never had a problem with it before.

happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:32 PM

My 2yo and I had WC together though we were both UTD. I had a worse case; probably because I was pregnant.

DTaPIn the United States, tetanus is primarily a disease of older adults. Persons greater than or equal to 50 years of age now account for over 70% of reported cases. An average of 43 people per year contract Tetanus and there are 0-2 deaths out of a population of 301,139,947 (over 300 MILLION) in the US. (In comparison (FEMA) estimates there are 200 deaths and 750 severe injuries from lightning each year in the U.S.). A Tetanus vax at time of injury is supposed to be a booster to those current on vax and TIG (tetanus immunoglobulin) is for the unvaxed.

From 1992 through 2000 (9 years), 15 cases of tetanus in children <15 years of age were reported from 11 states. Two cases were in neonates <10 days of age;the other 13 cases were in children who ranged in age from 3to 14 years. The median length of hospitalization was 28 days; 8 children required mechanical ventilation. There were no deaths. (I don't have info on their state of health or wound care).

It is not the rust that causes tetanus, so a rusty nail in and of itself is not the issue. Tetanus needs an anaerobic environment to thrive. A wound that has bled is not typically that environment. Keep it clean and covered.

"Keep in mind that the tetanus vaccine became available for widespread civilian use in the late 1940's. Thus tetanus mortality had declined from 205 deaths per 100,000 wounds in the American Civil War (1860) to about .4 deaths per 100,000 population in 1947 at the beginning of widespread civilian use of the vaccine. This means that sanitation, nutrition, year around nutritional improvements, general hygiene, and wound hygiene had reduced the mortality and incidence of tetanus by as much as 99.8 percent before the widespread use of tetanus vaccine." Hilary Butler 89wds

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/medical/clostridium_tetani.htm
http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/clostridia.html
Clostridium tetani: the bacterial species that causes tetanus; it produces a potent exotoxin (neurotoxin) that is intensely toxic for humans horses, and other animals when formed in tissues or injected, but not when ingested. The organism is found in soil, especially heavily-manured soils, and in the intestinal tracts and feces of various animals. Carrier rates in humans vary from 0 to 25%

Tetanus as a clinical entity is linked to a bacteria, Clostridium tetani. Obviously, the germ is not as malicious as one may think because it lives as a harmless commensal in the animal and human intestinal tract (1). It is not the very presence of the bacteria which causes the trouble, but the toxins that are produced by the bacteria under anaerobic conditions, that is, where the bacteria operates in an environment free of oxygen. These toxins can be spread through the blood vessels and finally affect the nervous system causing tetanic muscle contraction and pain.

The causative bacterium Clostridium tetani is a hardy organism capable of living many years in the soil in a form called a spore. Tetanus occurs when a wound becomes contaminated with bacterial spores. Infection follows when spores become activated and develop into gram-positive bacteria that multiply and produce a very powerful toxin (poison) that affects the muscles. Tetanus spores are found throughout the environment, usually in soil, dust, and animal waste. The usual locations for the bacteria to enter your body are puncture wounds, such as those caused by rusty nails, splinters or insect bites. Burns, any break in the skin, and IV drug access sites are also potential entryways for the bacteria Tetanus is acquired through contact with environment; it is not transmitted from person to person. http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tetanus/article_em.htm

Caring for a puncture wound
Several times a day for four or five days, soak the wound in warm water. Use a bathtub or basin if the wound is on the foot or leg. Soaking helps clean the wound from the inside out.

Monitor carefully for signs of infection. Because puncture wounds go deep, an infection may not become visible for several days after the injury.

When to seek immediate medical help
When the wound becomes infected. Signs of infection include pus, increased pain, swelling, redness, tenderness, a sensation of warmth or visible redness radiating from the wound, or a fever of 100 degrees F or more.

http://iier.isciii.es/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000940.htm

Treatment of Tetanus

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/291/main.html#TreatmentofTetanus

Immune globulin, given intramuscularly, is the immediate treatment of unimmunized individuals exposed to material likely to contain the tetanus bacteria. Treatment includes bed rest and quiet conditions. Immune globulin (also called gamma globulin or immune serum globulin) is a substance made from human blood plasma. The plasma, processed from donated human blood, contains antibodies that protect the body against diseases. When you are given an immune globulin, your body uses antibodies from other people's blood plasma to help prevent illness.

Sedation, paralysis with certain medications, and mechanical ventilation (i.e., respirator) may be necessary to control the spasms.
Antimicrobial drugs, such as penicillin, are used to eradicate the bacteria.

Recovery
For patients who survive tetanus, recovery can be long (1 to 2 months) and burdensome. Muscle spasms may begin to decrease after 10 to 14 days and disappear after another week or so. Residual weakness, stiffness, and other complaints may persist for a prolonged period, but complete recovery can occur from uncomplicated tetanus.
Patients with tetanus are hospitalized in an intensive care unit until it is clear that the progression of the disease has stabilized at a level that does not interfere with vital functions, and that therapy can be managed outside the unit.

There are four forms of tetanus immunization.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002031.htm
The DTaP vaccine is a "3-in-1" vaccine that protects against diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus. It can be given to children less than 7 years old. It is injected, usually into the arm or the thigh. DTaP is a safer version of an older vaccine known as DTP, which is no longer used in the United States.
The DT vaccine is a "2-in-1" vaccine that can be given to children less than 7 years old. It does not contain pertussis vaccine, but does contain vaccine that protects against diphtheria and tetanus. It is injected, usually into the arm or thigh.
The Td vaccine is the "adult" vaccine. It is a "2-in-1" vaccine that protects against tetanus and diphtheria. It contains a slightly different dose of diphtheria vaccine than the DT vaccine. It can be given to anyone older than 7 years old. It is injected, usually into the arm.
A booster Td vaccine should be given at ages 11-12. Older children who need a booster Td vaccine at ages 11 or 12 should receive the tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis (Tdap) vaccine. Older children between age 11 and 18 who have not already recieved a TD booster vaccine should receive the new Tdap vaccine.
Instead of the standard Td booster every 10 years, adults between the ages of 19 and 65 should receive Tdap one time.
Tetanus vaccine (T vaccine) can be given as a single vaccine, but this is not generally available. It is also injected, usually into the arm.
Tetanus immune globulin is not actually a vaccine. It is a preparation that is made from serum (part of the blood) from a person or animal (such as a horse) that contains antibodies against tetanus.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/extract/104/6/1381

Quote:

The first is that a substantial number of B pertussis infections in unvaccinated children are mild and would not meet the case definition. The second is that all pertussis vaccines tend to modify duration and severity of disease rather than completely preventing illness

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol6no5/pdf/srugo.pdf

Quote:

The effects of whole-cell pertussis vaccine wane after 5 to 10 years, and infection in a vaccinated person causes nonspecific symptoms (3-7). Vaccinated adolescents and adults may serve as reservoirs for silent infection and become potential transmitters to unprotected infants (3-11). The whole-cell vaccine for pertussis is protective only against clinical disease, not against infection (15-17). Therefore, even young, recently vaccinated children may serve as reservoirs and potential transmitters of infection.

http://iai.highwire.org/cgi/content/full/68/12/7175

Quote:

In summary, booster immunization of adults with acellular pertussis vaccines was not found to increase bactericidal activity over preimmunization levels. Identifying ways to promote bactericidal immune responses might improve the efficacy of acellular pertussis vaccines.

CNN-Freedoms you'd lose in Obama Care
1. Freedom to choose what's in your plan
2. Freedom to be rewarded for healthy living, or pay your real costs
3. Freedom to choose high-deductible coverage
4. Freedom to keep your existing plan
5. Freedom to choose your doctors

ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

NOpe! wouldn't do it! Bennifits do NOT outweigh the risks.

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

MamaCass
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM

My response would be:

I feel bad for the family, but I cannot make decisions for my child based on the outcome of another child, of whom I am unaware of any of the circumstances that surrounded the hospitalization.  Furthermore, I am do not know the medical history of that child including vaccine status, or pre-existing conditions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)