• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

flu season 09

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 404 Total Views

hi.

my son will be 8 months this november, when flu season starts to peak, and 13 months when it ends in april (i got that off a website lol idk if thats right on when it is...) obviously hes never recieved a vaccine of any kind, the only thing ever , which wasnt a  vax, was the pku done in my home by a private nurse. soooo my question is, how, other than just keeping him the heck away from everyone, do i prevent him getting it, atleast until hes out of the "priority" group (over 2yr old)

thanks! =)

doulajuliet.webs.com

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Keep him on on childrens liquid vitamins, and echinachia drops as well as vitamin C during flu season and get him as much sunshine as possible. (if you live in a rainy area give him some additional vit. D3).

Do you breast feed? That helps IMMENSLY.

Message me if you want info on some good brands for cheaper prices.

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

ResearchQueen
by Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Sodium ascorbate (Vitamin C)

Vitamin D

Frequent Handwashing

And a probiotic won't hurt.

Above all, just relax and don't let fear overtake you.

Also, if you are breastfeeding you don't have to give the baby much of anything, if anything at all. Just take the supplements yourself and the baby will get it through your milk.

OneLilMommie
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM

yes i breastfeed

doulajuliet.webs.com

Sarah321
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Quoting ThinkTwice08:

Keep him on on childrens liquid vitamins, and echinachia drops as well as vitamin C during flu season and get him as much sunshine as possible. (if you live in a rainy area give him some additional vit. D3).

LOL you can't tell by her avatar?!!? Just being a smart ass =)

marshallmommy
by Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I start my girls on black elderberry. Vitamin C (I use Hylands dissolvable tablets for my 5 month old). I wash them, but I do not use anti-bacterial soap.  I believe that kills too many germs and will break down the immune system.  Also, if you do use echinachia, you should only use for about 2 weeks at a time, and then give it a break of about 2 weeks and so on.

SxdUpAngel
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Quoting marshallmommy:

I start my girls on black elderberry. Vitamin C (I use Hylands dissolvable tablets for my 5 month old). I wash them, but I do not use anti-bacterial soap.  I believe that kills too many germs and will break down the immune system.  Also, if you do use echinachia, you should only use for about 2 weeks at a time, and then give it a break of about 2 weeks and so on.

I just wanted to point that out.  : D

We don't really do anything extra other than try to stay healthy. 

pregnancy
MamaCass
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Since you are breastfeeding, make sure your vitamin D levels are optimized.

They say that there is not enough vit D in breastmilk, but that is largely because most people do not get enough of vit D3 (that is the most absorb-able by the body)

3000-4000 of vit D3 has been the latest recommendation...

I would look up information from Dr. Mercola, Dr. Tennpenny, and Dr. Mayer Einstein (Don't know if I spelled the last one correctly...he is a doctor in illinois and his website is packed with valuable information).

ALSO, WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!

When you leave the house, when you go to and from the market, when you go anywhere out in public, etc...  You don't even have to use the antibacterial,  just good old soap and warm water for about 20 seconds.  LATHER UP!  In a pinch, the waterless stuff is good, but I would say only for one use at a time.  Research has shown it wears off and has no protection after 5 consecutive uses...

Autumn22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Breastfeeding really does help.  My little girl caught the flu when she was 7 months old... she had only received breast milk to that point.  I took her to the Dr. just to confirm that she had it and he flipped out.  Said she wouldn't be able to make it, wouldn't survive because she hadn't received any vaccines.  He said when I came back in for the follow up appt, we would talk about getting her some vaccines.  She was perfectly fine for the next 3 days.  Never puked.  Nothing.  Just had a fever and was smiling. :) We took her back and told him that and he never said a word about vaccines again.  haha.

Quoting ThinkTwice08:

ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2009 at 5:38 PM

DUH! yeah I just noticed that...hehe. :)

Quoting Sarah321:

LOL you can't tell by her avatar?!!? Just being a smart ass =)

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Funny. That's how my son was. Fever for 3-4 days and grumpy/TIRED  but no other symptoms. Here's one doc!....It's called an IMMUNE SYSTEM!

Quoting Autumn22:

Breastfeeding really does help.  My little girl caught the flu when she was 7 months old... she had only received breast milk to that point.  I took her to the Dr. just to confirm that she had it and he flipped out.  Said she wouldn't be able to make it, wouldn't survive because she hadn't received any vaccines.  He said when I came back in for the follow up appt, we would talk about getting her some vaccines.  She was perfectly fine for the next 3 days.  Never puked.  Nothing.  Just had a fever and was smiling. :) We took her back and told him that and he never said a word about vaccines again.  haha.

Quoting ThinkTwice08:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)