Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vaccines and international travel?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 234 Total Views
My husband works between the US and Ghana. Our child is 16 months and has not received any vaccinations. I never intended on him getting any. My hubby's job may soon be requiring longer stays in Ghana and my husband does not want to leave us here in the states while he is gone. I feel the same way. I don't want to spend so much time apart. But, I feel like I should get a couple vaccinations for my son since we will be traveling to another country.

Has anybody been in this situation? My pediatrician suggests 4 vaccinations 2 or which are aDPT and MMR, the 2 worse ones. What is the greater risk vaccinating or the potential of my child getting sick? I'm not sure what to do.
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jenC1978
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I def. would not get the DPaT.  That is one of the most dangerous vaccines and I wouldn't get the MMR either.  Maybe polio shot though.

mama-o
by Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:43 AM
Find out what the dominant diseases/risks are in that country so that you can make an informed decision. We traveled with our 23-month-old to Fiji in April and plan on being there often so I wanted to make sure I didn't put my little guy at risk. Ends up that the only thing we needed to (barely) worry about was malaria contracted through mosquitoes so I just kept him covered in natural repellant while we were there and he was fine. Check the CDC site for common outbreaks and also Ghana's visitor's site. Those will both be very helpful.
happytexasCM
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM

You do not need to vaccinate just because you are leaving the country.

You can take some of your own supplies (like SA and vit A).

Are you going to be without basic medical care?

GHANA

CNN-Freedoms you'd lose in Obama Care
1. Freedom to choose what's in your plan
2. Freedom to be rewarded for healthy living, or pay your real costs
3. Freedom to choose high-deductible coverage
4. Freedom to keep your existing plan
5. Freedom to choose your doctors

blessedmom30
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Great information ladies.  Thank you so much.  Especially for the Ghana outbreak chart.  Awesome.

blessedmom30
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 4:55 PM

What is SA?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)