Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TB Test?? **UPDATE**

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 466 Total Views

My son's daycare is recommending a TB test. Is this necessary? Is it common in los angeles, ca? Is the TB test safe for a 2 year old? Has anyone done this that doesn't vaccinate? Or has anyone had reactions to it?

**Update**

I signed the waiver to NOT do it until I get more information. Thank you so much for all your imput on this matter. I really appreciate and take everyones comments and advice in consideration. At this time since all the teachers tested negative for the test (since they get it every year) that I will just waive it for now.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Adelicious
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM
I don't know enough to answer all your questions. I do know that TB is so rare in U.S. residence, really the only chance your child has of being exposed to TB is if he has been around immigrants from a developing country. It is probably more important for the daycare to test such children. I don't know what/if there are risks, but if there are, I wouldn't hesitate to refuse it, if you can. Good luck
Kayere
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM

My fiance had tb and we got stuck for over a year with him on meds and over 9mo with our newborn premature baby on meds and getting these tests so i know a bit about it.

Refuse it. It isnt needed. You would know if someone around you exposed your child to TB. And its VERY obvious when your child gets it. Its not worth the risk to do the skin test. There are ALOT of false positives. Especially for people who are very allergic to things.

I got the test and it reacted as an allergy. Swelled up and turned red. But there was no positive to it. ( When it is positive there is a very distinct line that you feel with the swelling. Its flat then all the sudden its swollen. There isnt a grade to it.) but they took two people and ten minutes of poking it to decide it was positive. which, once again, it was not. I just react very badly to things on my skin.

It isnt a big deal with an adult gets a false positive. you can refuse the treament and drop it at that. But when a kid gets a false positive, it is government inforced that they take the TB meds. SERIOUS meds. They have alot fo side effects and are really bad for you.

They will send a government worker to your house Mon-Fri to watch you give the meds to your child. For over 9 months. And if you miss any days or the worker doesnt show up enough times ( which they did ALOT) you can get thrown in jail and have yoru child taken away from you

Just not worth it, refuse it.

zdmj31908
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:09 AM

i had to get this alot when i worked in a level one er in downtown ghettofied richmond,va. ALOT of people had it b/c there were so many who were homeless. tb can lay dormant for years in your lungs and you would never know it until it feels like attacking. im not sure of the specifics but richmond has their own "quarantine" hotel were people go who have it.

Adelicious
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:34 AM
In response to the two PPs, a positive TB skin test is NOT a sign of infection, it is ONLY a sign of exposure. If you have had a reaction, it was probably because you were exposed when your BF had it. I have had a + because I was treating it as a village nurse in the Philippines. As far as I know, I have never had an active infection. Once you have a positive skin test, they have to do chest x-rays and possibly a sputum test to see if you have an infection (or history of infection). Because I have a positive skin test, I'll always be positive, therefore I only get chest x-rays now. I also refused the 9 months of prophylactic medications (which is a different medication regimen than when you have an active infection).
ZoeyBethsMomma
by Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM

DH and I had to get a TB test recently for our adoption homestudy. I didn't want to do it, but didn't have any choice. Luckily neither of us had any trouble with it either this time or when we adopted DD. Thank God that they didn't require DD to have it for this second adoption! I would have had a major fit. I would refuse it if you can!

ThinkTwice08
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Hope this is helpful.... You could also change it out to "philisophical' if your state has that exemption option.

TB Testing

To Whom It May Concern:

I hereby declare that, I, ____________________________________, withhold my consent on Tuberculosis screening on the grounds that such testing is in violation of my United States of America Constitutional 1st Amendment Right to religious freedom. It would be a violation of my religious beliefs to knowingly contaminate the body with inorganic and/or organic substances, such as the mycoplasma antigens, that can cause injury, illness, or other harm to my well-being.

The Tuberculin Purified Protein Derivative (Mantoux skin test). TubersolT determines that a person has been previously exposed to or had a previous infection by M. tuberculosis or a variety of non-tuberculosis bacteria. A positive reaction may also represent an allergic reaction to the components of the test. It cannot tell whether a person has active tuberculosis disease. TubersolT contains Tween 80T as preservatives. A very recent study (December, 2005) discovered that Tween 80T , also known as polysorbate 80, can cause anaphylaxis, a potentially fatal reaction characterized by a sharp drop in blood pressure, hives, and breathing difficulties in persons previously exposed. Researchers concluded that the anaphylactic reaction was not a typical allergic response caused by histamines and IgE antibodies, but it was caused by a serious disruption that had occurred within the immune system. REF: Coors, Esther A, et. al. "Polysorbate 80 in medical products and nonimmunologic anaphylactoid reactions." Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. 95 (2005): 593-599.

I further assert the following:

There is no tuberculosis epidemic in ___________________________[city] to warrant the mandate of such testing. There is no tuberculosis crisis at the ___________________________ to warrant the mandate of such testing. Symptoms commensurate with tuberculosis are known to be:

Coughing up blood/ Chest infection

Severe weight loss

Night sweats

Constant exhaustion

Loss of appetite

I, _______________________ have not exhibited any of these of symptoms. There is no reason to suspect that I may be infected with Tuberculosis.

The CDC reports the following persons represent these high-risk categories for contracting TB: Those coming into close contact with persons known or suspected to have TB Foreign-born persons from areas where TB is common: Asia, Africa, or Latin America Elderly persons (over 65 yrs.) Health care worker who serves high risk patients-AIDS, TB, indigent Healthcare worker in close contact with medically underserved, low income populations I am not an Intravenous Drug Abusers

I, _______________________ do not fall into any of these categories. The chance that I may be infected with Tuberculosis is minute and thus, provides no basis to suspect I may be infected with Tuberculosis.

Overall, I am a healthy adult who poses no serious, infectious health threat to others. My overall good health has been confirmed during visits to my primary physician and other healthcare givers.

I have included these assertions to show that by not being tested for Tuberculosis, I pose no threat to the health and well-being of others here at _______________________________________.

Sincerely,

Notary Public:

__________________________ ______________________
Signature Date

__________________________ ______________________
City, State My Commission expires

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

caemommy
by Member on Aug. 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM

this is a copy/paste from a previous post here.... I think my son's school is going to ask for a TB test, and I will be looking for a blood test.

• by  on Jun. 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM
  • The CDC approved a blood test in May. If you have trouble finding a place to do it, insist your employer help out. The cost of each test, though different methods, works out about the same so don't let them try "but it's more expensive."

Quote:
    http://aids.about.com/od/vaccinesscreenings/a/tbbloodtest.htm
    Researchers who tested the traditional tuberculin skin test against a new tuberculin blood test in persons who had been exposed to a diagnosed tuberculosis (TB) case believe that the new blood assay test could be more sensitive than the skin test in detecting latent TB, especially in foreign-born individuals. Many of these persons had received a type of vaccination that triggered a response from the skin test.

CDC recommends new blood test for TB

Quote:  http://aids.about.com/od/vaccinesscreenings/a/tbbloodtest.htm
    The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has released its new TB guidelines which allows medical practitioners to use a TB blood test calledQuantiFERON-TB Gold. Doctors will now have the option of the new test instead of the traditional TB skin test (PPD).

Benefits of the New TB Blood Test

Better Test Follow-up - Because the new TB test is a simple blood test, the patient is not required to return to have the test read as is the case with the traditional PPD skin test. While the PPD skin test has a significant incidence of incomplete tests due to poor follow-up by the patient, the new TB blood test without the need for the patient to return will dramatically improve the rate of test completetion.

Fewer False Positives - TB experts have reported that the new TB blood test has fewer false positives than its traditional counterpart. Also, because there is no skin test to interpret, the new blood test eliminates all errors that result from poor interpretation of the PPD injection site.

stummegirl
by Member on Aug. 14, 2009 at 7:06 PM

bump for update

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)