Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschoolers?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 366 Total Views

Are any of you homeschoolers? My DD is enrolled to start public school kindergarten in less then 2 weeks, but she has cried all summer about not wanting to go... and I'm worried about this swine flu thing... She's never had any vax's and the school nurse does not respect my decision...

butterfly on head
Forgiveness is setting the prisoner free and then realizing the prisoner was you. 

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Loa1002
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Do you have an exemption in place at the school? It does not matter what the nurse thinks, kwim?

sorry not a home schooler my son is 19 mo.. BUMP

dedicatedrider
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM

My husband and I are both homeschool graduates.  Our oldest is only 18 months old, but we will most definitely be homeschooling.  Wouldn't do it any other way =)

Autumn22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I had planned on home schooling until me and my husband split up.  My oldest is starting preschool on monday.

For 2000 years doctors looked at the world through the filter (belief) that 'bleeding was therapeutic'. Not until the general education of the public lead people to rebel against this mistake was it corrected. Today many look at the world through the belief that 'vaccines work'.    www.myspace.com/parentsagainstvax 

buzymamaof3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM

We do we do!!  We love it!!  I am teaching K and preK this year :)

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziehomeschool.gif homeschool image by LMA1123beinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmd
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmesshomeschool2.gif homeschooling mom image by niccuinnStayathomemom.gif Stay At Home Mom image by jyearwood

faelih
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Homeschooling here... My oldest is in "1st grade" this year.

Lorelai
by Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Quoting Loa1002:

Do you have an exemption in place at the school? It does not matter what the nurse thinks, kwim?

sorry not a home schooler my son is 19 mo.. BUMP

I have exemption, but They're talking about giving kids the swine flu vax in school! And she's really a b*tch to deal with. She keeps telling me that we might have to be quarrentined and Gwen won't be able to come if there is an outbreak, etc... Trying to scare me and make me uncomfortable 

butterfly on head
Forgiveness is setting the prisoner free and then realizing the prisoner was you. 

npmom
by Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Quoting faelih:

Homeschooling here... My oldest is in "1st grade" this year.

My oldest is too!  Well, a mix of 1st & 2nd...:)

To op,

When I started hs him a few years ago, it was because our local schools were terrible. We now love it so much that we wouldn't have it any other way. He did ask me about maybe going to "regular" school in a few years- I am just glad he didn't ask this year-because I do not want to take a chance with swine flu vax in schools.

Incidentally, if  you do decide to keep her home,  Kindergarten is the most fun to "teach"! JMO:)

Jenn

mothertory
by Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:25 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with deciding to keep her home for an extra year or two or however long you want.  Neither the decision to send to school nor to homeschool has to be permanent.  Here in Oregon, we're not even rquired to start formally educating our kids until the age of 7 even though kindergarten starts at 5.  Maybe your state is the same and you could just keep her home without worrying about even making the decision yet.  KWIM?

katieannpc
by Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 8:47 AM

We homeschool too. We may have to send them back to PS though when we move..and that thought is killing me. My kids are on the 1st grade and 4th (and some 2nd & 3rd in math) grade. I LOVE homeschooling, especially for my son.

At the school in NC, if they are absent for more than 3 days, you have to have a dr. note before they will allow them back in....and I don't run to the doc for every little thing....it will be hell to have them back in the system.

There are many homeschooling groups here, and you should also look for local groups, you may find some via internet searches...the local groups will be the most valuable for your local laws and what the local system may try to pull (such as asking to see your diploma, ged or degree when they aren't allowed to do that)

Also, you can check with www.hslda.org for your state's basic laws. You may not have to start her this year, most states I've seen you don't have to start formal education until they are 6 or 7.

If you are really uncomfortable about sending her to public school...don't if you have the option of keeping her home. You can school at home if you choose....and a pp is right....Kindergarten (and preschool) are SOOO much fun!

Freedom is one thing....freedom from personal responsibility is somthing altogether different. 

Live vibrantly, Love like the world will end tomorrow, Forgive Quickly, Dance like no one is watching...

Leslillli
by Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM

we're homeschoolers. i have a boy (5) at about the first grade level and a 2 year old :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)