Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money???

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 276 Total Views

Okay, so I admit that I have been to Disneyland twice before on vacations and I didn't really pay attention to how much I was spending.  But my husband refuses to get us a credit card (smart in the long run, but sometimes a hassle).  So, in order to not starve and die on this vacation in May, I have to have money saved up and there's no way around it.

To save money, I'm bringing snacks with me.  We'll be in the parks for 4 days.  We'll have one day at the hotel.  And one day at Seaworld.  Breakfasts are free at the hotel (so, one meal out).  There's 3 of us.  And I have one Character meal.  There's dinner the night we show up, and meals at the airports on our way there and home (North Carolina).

Does $585 for food sound right to everyone?  How much should I have saved up for souvenirs and little emergencies?  Argh, I'm getting a headache.  We already are saving up as much as we can, but with me needing new glasses and my head being so overly large, I found out they'll cost over a hundred dollars.  I'm going nuts.

Be real and unashamed.  Even of your faults.  -Amy Bloom

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Meg_the_Mermaid
by Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:02 AM

I like live at Disneyland, lol, so I have never had to do what you're doing and figuring all that out...but I think $585 would be sufficiant for food. Let me put it this way: The park is expensive. Food and souvies. It's easy to spend $100 a day if you're not being very careful...but here are a few tips....

1. Bring your own snacks into the park with you. Bring your own water bottles and just refill them also. Oh, and cups of ice water is free...so if you go to a restaurant or food counter, ask for a cup of ice water and you can refill your bottles that way too. If you can get to a grocery store, I'd even buy sandwich stuff to make and bring your own with you. I actually freeze my water bottles before we go so that they stay cold longer also.

2. The meals they serve are pretty big. If you're like me and my daughter, you could easily share a meal. We don't eat much, so we always share, cuts down on costs.

3. There's a McDonald's across from the park...that's a cheap meal right there.

4. Fun and cheap souveniers are pressed pennies. My daughter and I collect them, it's fun. =)

If I think of any others, I'll come back and post more.

julie515
by Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Alright, we are going to pack tons of snacks (cracker packs, gummies, granola bars, etc) here.  I don't think it'd save money to rent a car to go to the grocery store there since my husband and I are both at the age where we have to pay extra insurance (not for long) otherwise I would totally do that.  I googled the closest Target, but it doesn't look walking distance.

I'm not sure how "sharing" I will want to be.  I'll be 5 months pregnant at the time.  So I may be all about sharing or I may not.  I figure at the very least, I can bring a few empty containers and bring leftovers back to the fridge in our hotel room.

That's cool about McD's.  We may do that a few times.

I totally collect the pennies.  I should actually find out what ones I have now...

Thanks for the ideas.  I feel much better (hormones are driving me nuts).

Meg_the_Mermaid
by Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM

I went to Disneyland nearly every week during my pregnancy, till I was put on bedrest...so yeah, you'll definitely want to remmeber to bring lots of water and snacks (I always brought snacks and fruit with me, I was constantly hungry, lol). Bringing leftovers back to the hotel is a great idea. There is actually a little market near the park, but I think the prices will be a little higher for snack stuff there since they can do that (hike up the prices, I mean). But yeah, pack as much snack stuff as you can. It's totally worth it. Also, you can get the refillable character cups and popcorn buckets inside the park so that refills are at least a little cheaper than buying a whole new drink or popcorn.

As for the pennies, do you have a penny collection book? They have some cute ones now, we got one and it keeps the pennies organized so we can see which we have or don't have.

Hey also...check out MouseSavers.com...this site seems pretty cool, gives a lot of good advice and ideas.

Quoting julie515:

Alright, we are going to pack tons of snacks (cracker packs, gummies, granola bars, etc) here.  I don't think it'd save money to rent a car to go to the grocery store there since my husband and I are both at the age where we have to pay extra insurance (not for long) otherwise I would totally do that.  I googled the closest Target, but it doesn't look walking distance.

I'm not sure how "sharing" I will want to be.  I'll be 5 months pregnant at the time.  So I may be all about sharing or I may not.  I figure at the very least, I can bring a few empty containers and bring leftovers back to the fridge in our hotel room.

That's cool about McD's.  We may do that a few times.

I totally collect the pennies.  I should actually find out what ones I have now...

Thanks for the ideas.  I feel much better (hormones are driving me nuts).

mlmynm81
by Member on Apr. 16, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Also there is a subway across from the park and last time I was there, they had the $5 footlongs. They are also open 24hrs.

julie515
by Member on Apr. 19, 2011 at 5:28 AM

Sweet!  Love Subway!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)