Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fenugreek?? PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 320 Total Views

I have a 6.5 month old dd and I EP. My milk supply has gone down a bit , and I just want to make what she eats. Right now she gets 3 TBS of cereal in the am mixed w/ a 2nd jar of foods along with an 8 oz bottle, next feeding is an 8 oz bottlke, 3rd feeding is full jar of 2nd food along with 1.5oz of water mixed with 1.5 oz juice and 4 oz bottle. Last feeding is 8 oz bottle. So she gets roughly 28oz of milk a day and Im not making that much. Yes I do have a 2 motnh supply in my freezer but I want to have enough milk to get her to 10 mon ths then I plan on stopping. I'm only pumping 2 times a day and getting 18-20 oz of milk. So I got fenugreek and Im trying it I just started yesterday. So any help woud be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have any of you mommies ever used it??

If so how long did it take before it started working and you noticed your milk improvement??

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mommy_To_Boo
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I take it.  I started with 3 caps (610 MG) three times per day.  That  didn't seem to do much, so I upped it to 4 caps three times per day.  Took about 3 days to see results.  They say that you can quit taking it once your supply is up, but I found that not to be the case. I quit and my supply dropped back down, so I had to start again.

rozepyle
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:37 PM

i would stop the juice altogether NOW while you can....

as far as things that help your milk supply fenugreek isnt the only thing out there! oatmeal, mothers milk tea, lactation plus, fenugreek is actually a spice, increase your water, pump in between feedings, barley tea is my latest favorite 

lyns-n-babymama
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:04 PM

My ped reccomended juice bc my DD was constipated. And I had problems with my oldest DD pooping, so now that my youngest has had pooping problems, Im not going to take her off the juice bc it helps her poop. Its like the saying dont fix wat isnt broken. I do eat oatmel on a regular basis so it really doesnt help, also I dont like any tea. I was told awhile ago about the fenugreek, and figured that Id give it a try.

Quoting rozepyle:

as far as things that help your milk supply fenugreek isnt the only thing out there! oatmeal, mothers milk tea, lactation plus, fenugreek is actually a spice, increase your water, pump in between feedings, barley tea is my latest favorite 

Juniper53098
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I noticed results withing 24 hrs.  But, you should be pumping more than twice a day if your baby doesn't actually nurse.  You need to pump every time she eats.

As far as the constipation, it is probably because her digestive system isn't ready for solid food yet.  If you are able to pump more with the fenugreek (or better yet nurse her), I would cut the solids out for a couple more months.

rozepyle
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 5:51 PM

most pediatricians believe it or not are IDIOTS about nutrition. whatever makes them money honey.... why not give your children real fruit???? or whole grains? more water? that always gets the juices flowing you dont need to resort to high fructose corn syrups they are horrible for them. the fenugreek is fine, do what you want but be warned, it can lead to a lower blood pressure and lots of bruises. 

Quoting lyns-n-babymama:

My ped reccomended juice bc my DD was constipated. And I had problems with my oldest DD pooping, so now that my youngest has had pooping problems, Im not going to take her off the juice bc it helps her poop. Its like the saying dont fix wat isnt broken. I do eat oatmel on a regular basis so it really doesnt help, also I dont like any tea. I was told awhile ago about the fenugreek, and figured that Id give it a try.

Quoting rozepyle:

lyns-n-babymama
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:26 PM

My daughter didnt get constipated untill I started her with foods. So thats why i was told juice.

tabi_cat1023
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:29 PM

If you want to make more pump more kinda sucks but you get an AMAZING output, I could've gotten that output pumping 12 times a day.  Pumping 2 times a day is NOt enough to maintain supply let alone raise it no matter how much fenugreek yu take.  Supply is from how often the breast is stimulated and how often milk is removed.  If its not removed more milk is not made, sucks but thats how breasts work.  There is a drop off in pumping amounts at 4, 6 and 9-10 months then again at 12 months...I pumped 19.5 months when working and all my pumping friends had drops at the same time.

Add a pumping session...supply WILL go up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)