Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

David Vitter E-Update 6-9-2009 (received as an email)

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 152 Total Views

e-update

IN THIS ISSUE
PHOTO SPOTLIGHT
SERVING ON A NEW ARMED FORCES SUBCOMMITTEE
COMMENTING ON THE FALLOUT OF THE AUTO BAILOUT PROGRAM
STUDYING THE RECORD OF SONIA SOTOMAYOR
FIGHTING AGAINST MOVING TERRORISTS FROM GUANTANAMO

Last month, I was pleased  to be named the Ranking Member of the Armed Services Strategic Forces  Subcommittee in the U.S Senate for the 111th Congress, a position  that will allow me to provide a stronger voice for our military bases and on  critical national defense issues like missile defense.  This month, I  commented on the failure of the federal government’s auto bailout and called  for the close examination of the judicial record of Sonia Sotomayor, President  Obama’s nominee for the Supreme Court.

Below you can read about  these and other issues I am working on the U.S. Senate, such as blocking the  transfer of suspected terrorists held at Guantanamo Bay to U.S. prisons.

David Vitter Signature

P.S. – Please feel free to  forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors and business associates, and  encourage them to sign up for their own copy by visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

Photo Spotlight

Last month, Olympic Gold Medalist Misty May Treanor dropped by my office in Washington, DC, to discuss her participation in a program designed to educate children about making healthy life choices and avoiding the dangers of underage drinking.  Misty and her teammate Kerri Walsh won gold medals in beach volleyball at the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Games.

SERVING ON A NEW ARMED SERVICES SUBCOMMITTEE

Last month, I was named the top Republican on the Armed Services Strategic Forces Subcommittee in the U.S Senate for the 111th Congress. This subcommittee of the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee has a direct impact on the strategic forces operations in Louisiana, and this position will also allow me to provide a stronger voice for critical national defense issues like missile defense. 

COMMENTING ON THE FALLOUT OF THE AUTO BAILOUT PROGRAM

No one is pleased to see General Motors fall as a result of years of mismanagement and unaffordable union agreements, and we especially feel for the thousands of hard-working Americans who as a result of this announcement are losing their jobs during these trying economic times.

But for months now, I and a handful of other members of Congress have argued against government intervention in the automaker’s financial problems.  Now we are faced with a situation where the taxpayers own the majority of a massive automotive corporation, and, along the way, we’ve spent billions of dollars to no effect trying to stop this from happening.

This latest step makes the American people stakeholders in a troubled company and puts us further down the road to nationalized industries, and that’s just not something that the American people can afford.

STUDYING THE RECORD OF SONIA SOTOMAYOR

As the first Hispanic and  only the fourth woman nominated for the Supreme Court, Judge Sotomayor is  certainly making hopeful and positive history.  Now we must study her  record and philosophy carefully to ensure that she understands the proper role  of the judge as impartial umpire – not pitcher or catcher.

The Constitution is clear that  Supreme Court justices must interpret the law and not legislate from the  bench.  Judge Sotomayor made some comments at Duke University regarding  the power of the courts to make policy that do give me pause, and that is  something that I look forward to discussing with her.  As her nomination  progresses, I will be thoroughly reviewing her judicial record, and I look  forward to her nomination hearing.

FIGHTING AGAINST MOVING TERRORISTS FROM GUANTANAMO

Recently,  the Senate passed an amendment that I coauthored to eliminate funding President  Obama requested for the Department of Justice to transfer GITMO terrorists to  U.S. soil.

We  absolutely should not be considering releasing terrorists into neighborhoods  and communities in our country, but Attorney General Holder has stated that  it’s possible that some of those being held at Guantanamo could be freed in the  United States.

The widespread opinion  being voiced in Louisiana and throughout America is to keep these detainees out  of the United States.  I’m proud that my colleagues joined me in stopping  these funds that would have allowed for the transfer of Guantanamo Bay  terrorists into the United States, and I will keep working to ensure that this  doesn’t happen in the future.

** To unsubscribe please visit my web site here and indicate that you would like to "unsubscribe from e-updates. " Please do  not reply to this email.

For any other questions or concerns visit my Web site at: www.vitter.senate.gov.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)