Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just introducing myself

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 292 Total Views

I just joined Cafe Mom and found this group when I searched under "delays".  I'm glad to find a place where there are other moms going through some of the same things I am!

My oldest son, Caleb, will be 3 next month and he has been in speech and occupational therapy for about 7 months now through the Early Start program (we're in CA).  While we've definitely seen improvement in that time, he is still testing as a "globally delayed" child with his weakest areas being speech and fine motor.  We will be enrolling him in the Head Start preschool program through our public school system where he will attend classes in the afternoons with other delayed children.  I've heard good things about this program so I'm hoping he will continue to improve and maybe even catch up a little...

Like most of you, I'm sure, I have good days and bad days emotionwise.  Sometimes I'm encouraged by the new things he's doing, and other times all I can focus on is what he's *not* doing.  I try very hard not to compare him with other kids his age because that just adds to the discouraged/hopeless feelings, but it's a struggle.  And now that I have a new baby in the house (8 months) I watch him closely and worry that he will have delays as well.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. :)  I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself a bit.

~Kristina

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
hippiemama8
by on Feb. 9, 2009 at 12:58 PM

My son who will be 2 on the 19th is going in for a formal evaluation with a speech pathologist, occupational therapist and a physical therapist. My question is what does the OT do for your son? I'm not sure why they are having him evaluated by all, he only has a speech delay, but I guess the first person that assessed him thought that he needed more. It is really good to have a place to talk with other moms about this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)