Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

unemployed now what?????????

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2007 at 4:02 PM
  • 5 Replies
Well friday afternoon, after all of the crap I've done for the company I've worked for i get fired. This is the kicker, I was dealing with my medical issues and all that even with my daughter being sick. But being a single mother if my child is sick I have to take the day off at the last resort I am always trying to find who ever i can Usally my parents, but not always are they available, considering thats the only family I have thats all I've got and her dad won't take her. So I got fired over it. So whatever, they tell me do what you can to get yourself healthy. I was taking my dr's appointments during my lunch and skipping lunch so I could go to the doctor, Working an 8-5 job your screwed for getting any appts so i would do what I could for appointments. Well whatever, now what am I to do... is there any hope for someone who got fired from a job. My medical problems are all over now, I've been cured and feeling wonderful. So I don't know where to go from here, I have to support my daughter some how? I just wish I had an idea what to do...please help...
by on Sep. 24, 2007 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2007 at 4:11 PM
are you part of a union? did they use "excessive sick time usage" as grounds to fire you? get doc records and proof allt he time was taken for real reasons and talk to a lawyer. it doesnt sound like they can fire you for that. also, your sick time is YOURS and YOU earned it!!!!

Kidz_n_Dogz
by on Sep. 24, 2007 at 4:40 PM
You should also have been protected by FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) which gives you 180 days/year for you or your family member's on going illness.
mae77
by on Sep. 24, 2007 at 4:48 PM
I would go to the unemployment office tomorrow and go apply for any and all assistance that you qualify for.  This is what the system is for, when people who pay into the system hit a speed bump. 

You have to apply for FMLA and be approved for on ongoing illness-it has to be documented.  I would get unemployment for the meantime until you find a new job.  I wouldn't want to go back to a place like that.  Believe me, I completely understand what you're going through.  After only 3 months of being in my present job I had missed 49.50 hours due to my son being sick and not able to go to daycare, I got a warning and they wouldn't pay for any sick time because I'm salaried.  I take my lunches to do appts if I can't do them on saturday for him.

Xavier's Mommy -Akesha

monkey206969
by on Sep. 24, 2007 at 4:50 PM

I myself was in the same boat.  I went to the county I live in and asked what I could do for help.  They suggested that I collect unemployment, signed up for medical care, and they are helping me find a job.  Otherwise I'm not sure what else to tell you.  But I wish you the best of luck.  Personally I think that they shouldn't be able to get away with it, it has to be some sort of discrimination. 

vtmom
by on Sep. 24, 2007 at 6:48 PM
after you do what all the other ladies said, find a new doctor with better with hours if you can... i know our office (family practice) is open a few nights a week until 8pm so that moms like us can get appointments. you should explore other offices in your area and your surrounding areas as well...find a good family practice where both you and kid(s) can go that has good flexible hours
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)