• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicaid (DES)

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM
  • 7 Replies

Being a single mom, it can be really hard to support your family, especially if you dont have a decent paying job. Well, I live in Arizona and the criteria for getting assistance through the government is kind of strict since we have so many people on it. If you are a single parent, the amount of money can be higher for you to get assistance, than it is if you are married. (Not by much though.) Since people have been turned away as a couple, people around here have found it easier to get a divorce, but continue living together, just to get the assistance. Now honestly, this makes me sick to my stomach, because I work my butt to the bone and I dont have anyone elses help, so if I make a little more money, it wont be nearly the amount that I would get if I had someone else helping me. I have seen 2 news reports of couples doing this and it makes me SO ANGRY!!!! Im not on government assistance because they said my 11.50 an hour is "too much" even though I support myself and my 2 young children. They expect me to pay 250 a week for my kids to go to daycare, even though they know I am a single parent and dont have anyone to watch them through the day. They told me that I should have my parents watch them. I couldnt believe they told me that!!! Did it occur to them that both my parents work?!?! So now I have a dumb sitter that eats all my food, destroys my house and has random people come into my home without my knowledge because the government says I make too much money, yet people are avoiding the word "marriage" so that they can qualify? What about the people that truly need it? I just wanna know when we draw the line with the government. I am so sick of this crap!!! Does anyone else see it from my point of view?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

idk why but it doesnt bother me that much. the ones committing fraud will get theirs. they always do.

single_and_preg
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I know alot of people abuse the system, it makes me mad. I also make just a little bit too much to qualify.

Join us on:

The Single Moms Group

Group Mod

*Single Mother's* Please click above to join this CafeMom Group!

kelli0585
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM

At my old job, I made $20 too much to qualify.

I spoke with my boss, and told him to cut my pay check by $20. 

Now I qualify.

$20 a month is worth it.

Tummysmomma
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:24 PM

i work hard to make sure i dont ever have to be on it..

its not a reward..

people that try to get on it? i dont understand their way of thinking.. and i dont want to.

kelli0585
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Good for you!

Personally, I, like you, and like many single mothers on here, pay our taxes and work hard while doing it.

I have no qualms with accepting help when it's needed.  That's what it's there for. 

I wasn't exactly bright and cheery standing in line at the Health and Human Services office.  It was quite a blow to the ego, actually.  But my son needed it.  That, and my job didn't have insurance.  THAT was my way of thinking.

Believe me. . .it's no "reward" to us, either.

Quoting Tummysmomma:

its not a reward..

people that try to get on it? i dont understand their way of thinking.. and i dont want to.

Tummysmomma
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM

there is no collective "us" when it comes to welfare..

i was refering to the post.. not you or your comment.

i was commenting on people getting divorced just to get on it as if its something to strive for..

again, the original post?

Quoting kelli0585:

Good for you!

Personally, I, like you, and like many single mothers on here, pay our taxes and work hard while doing it.

I have no qualms with accepting help when it's needed.  That's what it's there for. 

I wasn't exactly bright and cheery standing in line at the Health and Human Services office.  It was quite a blow to the ego, actually.  But my son needed it.  That, and my job didn't have insurance.  THAT was my way of thinking.

Quoting Tummysmomma:

its not a reward..

kelli0585
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM

My apologies.

At the same time, and I may get some flack for this, but I can see why people do this.  It's for the best interest of the children.  I think it's quite sad that for some good, hard-working blue collar families to get a little help, they have to resort to divorce.  I don't think that they're HARDLY trying to get away with anything. 

It must be a very hard to have to give up your marriage rights.  They aren't simply just tossing out a golden wedding band.  I'm more than sure that these couples weren't grinning while twisting their handlebar moustaches.  I very much see it as them making a sacrifice for their children.

It's also no secret that Medicaid isn't exactly the land of milk and honey.  I get mostly free perscriptions and doctor visits.  It's not the greatest quality, and it's for my son, only.  And that's for a year.  That being said, there's no way that I would be able to afford those medicines and pediatrician visits on my own.  It's too expensive.  I could see how a couple couldn't afford them, either.  Especially a couple with no insurance.  The number of jobs with no insurance is only rising.  We can expect to see this situation rising, if there isn't a change.

Simply put:

I don't hate the players.  I hate the game. 

Quoting Tummysmomma:

there is no collective "us" when it comes to welfare..

i was refering to the post.. not you or your comment.

i was commenting on people getting divorced just to get on it as if its something to strive for..

again, the original post?

Quoting kelli0585:

Good for you!

Quoting Tummysmomma:

its not a reward..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)