Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone in graduate school??

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

i am hoping to enroll in graduate school in the fall for speech and language pathology.  i will be finishing up my undergraduate degree this may (i'm really done now, but not graduating until may).  i've been taking the slp pre-reqs, so i'm going to go next semester to finish those up.  but....my question is - how do you pay for graduate school?  right now, i get financial aid becuase i am single and make very little money.  as i understand, there is no financial aid available for graduate school.  i plan on applying for numerous scholarships, but if worse comes to worse, i'll have to pay with loans.  oh-and i live in nj if that helps any.

also...the programs minimun gre score is 450 (verbal) to even be considered.  my highest is 440 >:/.  does anyone have any tips to boost my score a few points.  i do awesome on the quantative...690 was my highest, but i haven't gotten under 500 at all for that. 

thanks for any advice!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Andrewsmom70
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I was in grad school back in 1998-2000 and I got loans to pay for my grad school.  I wasn't a single mom at that time though.

In 2007 I went back to school to get another bachelors degree and I had to get loans because they don't really give financial aid if you already have a bachelors degree.  So, you'll probably end up with a lot of student loans but it's good debt to get.

As for your GRE score, most grad schools will let you in provisionally with a GRE score that close to the cut off.  Most times when you get in provisionally, they'll let you in fully after a semester or two (depending on the school) if you get a certain GPA (usually a B or higher, depending on the school).  Especially if you have a really good undergrad GPA.

I hope it all works out well for you. :-)

Jasons_Mami
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Look up grants for single moms, they're everywhere.

brooklynrenea
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:37 AM

look for scholarships too.  alot of times if you go to the financial aid office, they can help you find scholarships that are offered for your particular major or some just in general.  Im in grad school currently but only just finished my first semester.  I am only taking 2 classes at a time since i work full-time.  I havent taken the GRE yet bc my school allows us to take 2 graduate courses without taking the exam...so I will have to take it soon.  I am currently paying mine with loans (and my job is helping pay for some of it too).  i think if you talk with the financial aid office they can help give you some direction on paying for it. 

alison08
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM

thanks ladies....i will definately look up some scolorships/grants and talk to the financial aid office.

unfortunately, the program i'm trying to get into is very strict about the gre scores.  last year there were almost 500 applicants and only 34 spots.  sooo, they use the gre and gpa as cut off points and then go from there.  my gpa is well above their minimum and i am confident that i can write an effictive essay and will get good recommendations.  i'm just going to keep trying with the gre and hope, hope, hope!

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM

good luck!!! i am looking to fill out my fafsa to finally get my bachelors, it will be slow going but the kids are older now and dont need me as much.

The Single Moms Group

alison08
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Quoting faerie75:

good luck!!! i am looking to fill out my fafsa to finally get my bachelors, it will be slow going but the kids are older now and dont need me as much.

thanks...good luck to you too!!  it's so nice to finally see the end...it took me 6 years but i did and all by myself.  i know it will feel so good to have that degree in my hand!  if i can do it, you can too!

jdmyangel
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM

i am working on my masters also---and got Financial aid---there are some scholarships for single moms--but most i found were for undergrad work---let me know if you find any for grads.  Good luck to you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)