Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

What state has the best child support laws (and enforces them)?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM
  • 84 Replies

Alright ladies I've heard all kinds of horror stories of states not doing what they should but let's put it to paper- where are the best and worst?  Where should the expecting mom move LOL (just kidding)!

California provides you with a lawyer when enforcing child support.  

They have on the books that they will take away a driver license and passport and if non-payment continues they can go to jail.  (Of course your case worker affects this- mine said she'd take the block off my ex if he paid even a small portion but I have a very crappy worker.)

They also have a law saying (paraphrasing here) that if a man has a good paying job and quits it or is fired his support cannot be lowered if he takes a lesser job.  (For example if a doctor quits and takes a job flipping burgers guess who is still paying big bucks?)

Sadly- child support is based off of how much custody each parent has (meaning- the dad's then file for visitation so they don't have to pay) and of course how much each parent makes.

There is a minimum for support for english speaking average joes- and that is based off minimum wage (in my area it's about $322 a month).

by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stp01
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM

TN appears to be a joke. "We can give him a little more time". DH is over $11K behind and quit his job to avoid garnishment. Ironically, he won't fight the support in court b/c he doens't think he has to (so it stays at the same amount).

I am fighting him in court in Jan.

Move here for the weather and the scenery, but not for the CS enforecement!

Last weekend, I set up a group for women who are not receiving the court ordered support. Here is the link if you are interested! :)

http://www.cafemom.com/group/108428

TiredMommy6906
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I don't know too much about Oregon so far, as my ex is in prison. I do know that the lowest child support can be is based off a minimum wage job, working 40 hours a week. And, they also take into consideration child care, medical bills, and amount of visitation. 

Also, if they are sentenced to more than 6 months in jail, their child support can be stopped for the length of time that they are in there. It does not start up again until the 1st day of the 2nd month they are out. I do not think this is fair and was furious about it. I am still taking care of the child. Her care does not stop, but he doesn't have to support her anymore. UGH!

Also, I know that after a certain amount they take away their driver's license, but I don't know what the amount is.

My best friend lives in Washington. They have a child support enforcement day every year. One day they go pick up all the dead beat dads that haven't been paying their child support and haul them off to jail.

Actually, I have heard that Washington is really good for single moms and I would love to hear from someone who lives there.

stp01
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM

That's interesting about the jail thing. It used to be in VA (when the economy was better)- and it may be the same now- that the state would send you a check each month and the deadbeat had to pay the state back with interest.

You are sooooo right- just b/c he is in jail, the care goes on! My divorce judge gave my ex a 3 month break since he had no job. Ugh. :(

IMO, I think some guys would rather be in jail than struggle with support: free meals, companionship and a roof over their head. It's pathetic.

tyfry7496
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I am in Wisconsin and they start with suspending drivers license, hunting and fishing licenses, places leins on vehicles, boats, homes, land and jail. And if you are in arrears at all, the payee gets the tax return to cover arrears. There is a 1.5% interest per month added to the arrears. Also, ALL court ordered support is paid and distributed through a child support "trust fund". 

mommyinthe303
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Colorado is a JOKE! That is all I have to say... LOL

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Not Illinois, dont come near here. They say they will take the license of the dad for not paying child support. They dont. When they dont pay child support, cuz they quit their job to not pay, it is put in that they are in contempt of the court and have to keep a journal of what jobs they apply to and apply for a few a week. Thats all I know.

Chrisitan, keep your state out of my religion, breastfeeding, cloth diaper using, co-sleeping, midnights working, full time student, single mom who loves her baby so so much.

katrina23
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommyinthe303:

Colorado is a JOKE! That is all I have to say... LOL

Same for Oklahoma!

kids
2005 mommy
2006 Mommy

goodpairofshoes
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I am in KS and with my experience it has been good.

The child support is always garnished from his wages (or hers if applicable) but I am not sure how they enforce it if the parent is not employed.

Kansas is a shared custody state now and they usually go 50/50 right away and then you have to fight that to get more time.  It is a hard battle.  Of course, this is IF the Dad wants to be involved in the child's life. 

Shauna71904
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 11:02 AM

here in the peach state... they LOVE daddies who refuse to pay! I mean they love them so much that they dismiss cases and allow dead beats to get away with over 3k in back support! go Georgia!

My daughter has limb girdle muscular dystrophy. She may waddle, she may fall, but she is not ignorant. She sees you stare. She hears you snicker. Her heart aches like mine and yours when people laugh at her. Be polite and ask about her condition rather than be rude and make fun of her. Please educate yourself, as I can only educate her so much about ignorance and stupidity. I can only tell her so much about just how cruel the world can be.

tialisa
by Member on Dec. 17, 2009 at 11:17 AM

South Dakota sucks...hell they claim they cant locate my ex in another state...they have all his info, what the heck??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN