Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What state has the best child support laws (and enforces them)?

Posted by   + Show Post

Alright ladies I've heard all kinds of horror stories of states not doing what they should but let's put it to paper- where are the best and worst?  Where should the expecting mom move LOL (just kidding)!

California provides you with a lawyer when enforcing child support.  

They have on the books that they will take away a driver license and passport and if non-payment continues they can go to jail.  (Of course your case worker affects this- mine said she'd take the block off my ex if he paid even a small portion but I have a very crappy worker.)

They also have a law saying (paraphrasing here) that if a man has a good paying job and quits it or is fired his support cannot be lowered if he takes a lesser job.  (For example if a doctor quits and takes a job flipping burgers guess who is still paying big bucks?)

Sadly- child support is based off of how much custody each parent has (meaning- the dad's then file for visitation so they don't have to pay) and of course how much each parent makes.

There is a minimum for support for english speaking average joes- and that is based off minimum wage (in my area it's about $322 a month).

by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM
Replies (61-70):
Blessed_Mommy87
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I'm in Texas and have filed Got a court date soon we have to deal with GA since hes there but I also finally had his address and had all the information including where he works so it helped a lot. Hopefully it gets settled by the end of the year like they said.

Blessed_Mommy87
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Why won't the mom get any that not right.

Quoting kitty8199:

My friends ex has lost his license twice. I know 2 guys who have been to jail. Maybe my county its better about that. Our issue is they get the money from dad, but mom never gets it.

Quoting Blessed_Mommy87:

I agree GA sucks when I lived there and filed they  sent me papers and it was in my moms name bacically like shes the mother and filing. I could not do nothing but wait for month for the case to be closed. Now am in Texas and things are going great.

Quoting just4ds10ee:

Definitely not  GEORGIA!!!!! because if they did my ex would not be walking around with 10 K worth of arears !!! 

alyssasmommy318
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM
ALABAMA IS A JOKE I gave them his exact address in TX and their reply was "oh he's in Texas well then we will let Texas handle it" and Texas says 'it's in Alabama so Alabama is supposed to handle it" so all in all no one is doing a damn thing and he is over $30,000 behind in court ordered child support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssasmommy318
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Hey I wanna join but I click on it and it takes me to my groups ( I'm mobile if that matters)

Quoting stp01:

TN appears to be a joke. "We can give him a little more time". DH is over $11K behind and quit his job to avoid garnishment. Ironically, he won't fight the support in court b/c he doens't think he has to (so it stays at the same amount).

I am fighting him in court in Jan.

Move here for the weather and the scenery, but not for the CS enforecement!

Last weekend, I set up a group for women who are not receiving the court ordered support. Here is the link if you are interested! :)

http://www.cafemom.com/group/108428

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssasmommy318
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Hey I wanna join but I click on it and it takes me to my groups ( I'm mobile if that matters)

Quoting stp01:

TN appears to be a joke. "We can give him a little more time". DH is over $11K behind and quit his job to avoid garnishment. Ironically, he won't fight the support in court b/c he doens't think he has to (so it stays at the same amount).

Last weekend, I set up a group for women who are not receiving the court ordered support. Here is the link if you are interested! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Yep, I agree with alyssasmommy318. Takes you to My Groups. (Giving out a list of groups that is).

Quoting alyssasmommy318:

Quoting stp01:

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Quoting kitty8199:

My friends ex has lost his license twice. I know 2 guys who have been to jail. Maybe my county its better about that. Our issue is they get the money from dad, but mom never gets it.

Quoting Blessed_Mommy87:

I agree GA sucks when I lived there and filed they  sent me papers and it was in my moms name bacically like shes the mother and filing. I could not do nothing but wait for month for the case to be closed. Now am in Texas and things are going great.

Quoting just4ds10ee:

Definitely not  GEORGIA!!!!! because if they did my ex would not be walking around with 10 K worth of arears !!! 

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Quoting Blessed_Mommy87:

Quoting just4ds10ee:

We moved from Texas... Regret that choice to this day!!!! Not only am I not able to collect that jack ass moved to California two years ago so it is extremely difficult crossing state lines with him working " under the table" self employed!!!

dutchmama2011
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

anyone knaow anything abou florida?

Kid_Cat_Mom2005
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Same :-/

Quoting katrina23:

Quoting mommyinthe303:

Colorado is a JOKE! That is all I have to say... LOL

Same for Oklahoma!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)