Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This Is About An Awesome Book I Just Read-Read This!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM
  • 2 Replies

I've often thought that my views on various things were not stereotypical of "society". I've done drugs, been in jail, wondered about sexuality, wondered about why I stayed in an abusive relationship, wondered what it's called when you're spiritual but don't believe in the Jesus Christ, wondered why the Bible has so much male presence and very little female presence, wondered what love is, and what may have happened in my childhood that causes me to be who I am today.

Revolution from Within A Book of Self-Esteem, by Gloria Steinem, addresses all these subjects! Ms. Steinem touches on the lives of Gandhi, Hitler, Saddan Hussein, and strong, smart women in history whose names are not recognizeable but whose work is admirable. She shares experiences from her childhood and her own amazement about how traumatic memories surface in her adult life.

I did have to consult a dictionary for some of the words that I didn't know the definition of, so it's on a college reading level. But the style is conversational; the author is learning about herself through the process of writing this book and freely shares her vulnerabilities and experiences with the reader.

I'll put it like this: I identified with everything in this book, and I feel like I'm not confused anymore! People-women-actually have had these thoughts before about a male-dominated world and religion, about a society that puts such a huge gap between males and females, about how obtaining an education may still be a miseducation.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Moniquemarie1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Like  :)

mz_erica03
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Adding to my book list!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)