Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the bank might be the devil i'm just sayin......

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM
  • 4 Replies

so i got paid on friday.  took my paycheck to the bank to deposit before 10am saturday morning...knowing it should post by saturday night midnight.  

no biggie.  i was out of food at the house so i didn't think much of it cause i thought i would have money.

yesterday spent the day with my fling and my son was at my parents...so i spent his money and didn't think anything about the bank situation.

today. i take the boys to the store to get food.  (i'm keeping my friends son) go to check out, try to run my card, declined WHAT??  i have over 800 dolalrs in that account.  fine...move on.  try to write a check out of another account.  oh they won't take a counter check that doesn't have my info on it.  well the bank is closed so i can't do anything about it.  

so i had to call my fling.  he ordered pizza for the boys so that they would have something to eat and he's gonna go to the store for me when he gets done with the project today.

so i'm sitting here with like 2 grand in the bank and i can't touch any of it!!!!!!!!!

i'm sooooo freaking mad!!!! 

what the hell is wrong with the bank??  Don't they understand people need their money!!!

Now I look like an idiot at the store because the bank can't do their job.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Moniquemarie1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM

That is a horrible experience.  I'm glad you have someone who was able to assist you all in this situation. 

calgalmeg
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Oh hun that is so embarrassing!  I've only had that happened once and I about wanted to die- having to give all the food back... yeah not a fun time.  Hope the bank clears that up today!  I swear they'll sit on money for so long.

My uncle was in Europe when he was young- deposited a check into his account there but it was oversees from his home account and they sat on it for a month- he had to wire for money from his parents and they couldn't send much so he ate a yogurt a day and a loaf of bread (one of those small personal sized ones) until the month was up.  He was a thin guy to start with - after that he looked BAD.  Not the best vacation ever I'm guessing.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.  - George Elliot

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Saturday is not a buiness day and neither is today, so unless you deposited cash, the funds won't be available until tomorrow. It should be stated on your receipt, deposit slip and all over the bank, not to mention in your documents from opening the account. Some banks hold noncash deposits for up to 10 business days. And NO store will take a counter check or starter check, it is way too risky for them. The reason banks have the holds or wait until the next business day is to make sure the check you just deposited is good. Some businesses, insurance company or people will give you bad checks.There is nothing to be embarrassed about, it happens to everyone. The bank will do nothing, because I am betting that their policies are well documented and advertised.  

I have worked in the financial services industry for years and this is the policy at 99% of the banks in the US.

The holds are placed to protect you. If those checks came back bad, then YOU would be responsible for all the overdraft fees.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Doesn't make it any less frustrating!!!

Clearly there is something I am missing about that banking situation anyway.  

My point is, I hate the freaking bank!!! They take too freaking long to get anything done!!! They move their butts at their own pace not worried about real life and what's going on it.  They have policy when I have problems.

Quoting tyfry7496:

Saturday is not a buiness day and neither is today, so unless you deposited cash, the funds won't be available until tomorrow. It should be stated on your receipt, deposit slip and all over the bank, not to mention in your documents from opening the account. Some banks hold noncash deposits for up to 10 business days. And NO store will take a counter check or starter check, it is way too risky for them. The reason banks have the holds or wait until the next business day is to make sure the check you just deposited is good. Some businesses, insurance company or people will give you bad checks.There is nothing to be embarrassed about, it happens to everyone. The bank will do nothing, because I am betting that their policies are well documented and advertised.  

I have worked in the financial services industry for years and this is the policy at 99% of the banks in the US.

The holds are placed to protect you. If those checks came back bad, then YOU would be responsible for all the overdraft fees.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)