Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM
  • 25 Replies

About 3 years ago my ex and I had agreed (verbally) that we were to take turns claiming our DS on our taxes. That was back then when he had a steady job. He has now been unemployed since July 2008 and claims to still be collecting unemployment. 2009 is his year to claim our DS and I feel he shouldn't get to. I have been paying for everything when it comes to our DS and in August the schedule was changed to where my son "lives" with me and his dad picks him up from school every day for about 3 hours and has him every other weekend.

What do you think?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
single_and_preg
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Hmm, thats a hard one. I am a person who always sticks to my word. So if it was me, then I would just let him claim them...I do see your point though.

ProudSingleMum
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I agree with this. Personally i would talk to him and say "look, I know we agreed every other year, but you didn't support him this year..I did...so I should claim him. If you pay support next year, then we can go back to every other year"

Quoting single_and_preg:

Hmm, thats a hard one. I am a person who always sticks to my word. So if it was me, then I would just let him claim them...I do see your point though.

calgalmeg
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I would talk about it with the ex.  I would just make the argument you have here and see what he says.  I would say that once he is working and paying again you'd be happy to go back to the previous agreement but that was originally made with the understanding that you would both be working and supporting your child.  He changed the arrangement so I would say it's worth a discussion.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.  - George Elliot

sandie66
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM

You need to discuss this with him. If you both do it, the first one will go through, and the second one will get flagged. 

alison08
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM

i'm in a similar situation, but i'm just going to let my son's dad claim him.  he barely supports him, has also been living off of unemployment since 2008 and barely even sees my son.  but, it's still the deal, and i don't want to discuss it with him so i'll let it be.  but if youguys have a decent relationship, just ask him.  he might be okay with it, you never know.  i definately wouldn't do it without him knowing though.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I would talk to him about it.  Maybe he can give you some of the money he gets back.

mz_erica03
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Thanks ladies for your responses. I appreciate them and this group. It's nice to get input from ladies that are in a similar situation as I.

I got my W-2's today and have decided to go ahead and claim my son THEN tell my ex. I know it sounds shady but if I tell him that I will be claiming him I know he will run and do his taxes before I do.

I do feel bad for going back on my word but at the same time he's done nothing for our son. It's just crazy but I'm sure to nobody's amazement here.

My son didn't have any insurance in 2009, he started school and needed shots as well. I had to make sure my son got his shots (free health clinic), and that he had shoes and uniforms for school. Thankfully I was approved for state health insurance at a reduced rate for my son. So he has insurance now but I'm the one who's paying for it.

In the meantime my ex dates these women who do things for him financially. When his sister died, she left their mom a large sum of money and he got himself a nice 2000 Tahoe with rims and a sound system. Can you imagine how disgusted I was when I found out?? Ugh... I could go on.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM

when my ex and i split. i told him the kids lived w me most of the time so id be claiming them every year, forever. the end. lol 

mz_erica03
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Quoting faerie75:

when my ex and i split. i told him the kids lived w me most of the time so id be claiming them every year, forever. the end. lol 

LOL

Yeah I'm thinking about doing that just because I don't see my ex doing shit for supporting our son. When the child support order goes through I see him either NOT working or working under the table just to dodge it.

ProudSingleMum
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM

See this is what I don't understand. When I fill out my taxes it asks me if my child has lived with me for more than 6 mos out of the year...so if they haven't...how CAN you claim them....even if the gov't tells you to? I don't get it...isn't that like lying on your taxes?

Quoting faerie75:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)