Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tax information, anyone?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have always worked all year and got back a pretty good refund, due to the earned income credit. I always got back a good 5,000. Does anyone know about what I'll get this year if I only worked until March of last year?  I'm really worried that I won't get hardly anything, and I always count on that big check to live off for a while.  Anyone have any idea?  I still have my kids to claim, but I just think I'm gonna get %&^*^%.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllNaturalMum
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that if you didn't earn a whole lot, then you don't owe a whole lot. You're not responsible for what you didn't earn. That being said, you'll still get the money back for your kids, but maybe not a ton more than that.

pregnancy calendar
sandie66
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM

You only worked 3 months. Unless you made tons of money, I doubt you'll get much even with kids. Just go to www.taxact.com and do a quick review and see what pops up. You don't have to complete it and file, but it'll give you an idea of what you'll get back. 

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:27 PM

It depends on what you made, the amount of taxes taken out and the tax credits you can claim. NO ONE is gong to tell you for sure.  You will have to file your return to find out.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM

HOW DO YOU GET EARNED INCOME??????

I made SHIT for money this past year and it's saying I earned too much.

I made min. wage.  I didn't work for 3 months this year.

single_and_preg
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM

maybe you did something wrong on your taxes, because I make double the amount of min wage , and work 40 hours a week (every week) and qualified for earned income, plus the child tax credit.

Quoting happymommy1105:

HOW DO YOU GET EARNED INCOME??????

I made SHIT for money this past year and it's saying I earned too much.

I made min. wage.  I didn't work for 3 months this year.

AllNaturalMum
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Yeah... I always qualify for earned income as well, and I make more than minimum wage and work 12 months a year. I would look over everything a couple more times.

pregnancy calendar
Shauna71904
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM

wait i am confused.... why would you get anything if you didn't pay into the system? tax REFUNDS are just that darling, refunds of the taxes you paid. So you are absolutely correct. If you worked 3 months then you will get reimbursed for 3 months... period the end. Sorry to burst your bubble but it's not a hand out, its a refund!

Photobucket

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM

It depends how much they took out in Federal & State if you have state taxes there.Then you will get EIC. 

Join us on The Toddler & Preschool Group! Group Mod

Join us onElementary School Kids - Group Mod

sandie66
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Not true. I make decent money, not minimum wage and not a fortune. I pay in maybe $1500 in taxes every year and between the kids, the house, and earned income credit and whatever other tax incentives there are I get back about $6,000. 

Quoting Shauna71904:

wait i am confused.... why would you get anything if you didn't pay into the system? tax REFUNDS are just that darling, refunds of the taxes you paid. So you are absolutely correct. If you worked 3 months then you will get reimbursed for 3 months... period the end. Sorry to burst your bubble but it's not a hand out, its a refund!

miss_mom
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I'm not saying its a HANDOUT, but money that is owed to me.  All I was wondering was about how much I could count on with only working for 3 months, with the EIC, cause I do have kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)