Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hate living with my mom

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:23 PM
  • 15 Replies

i live with my mom and my older brother and they are just horrible.  everything i do is wrong.  my brother has no idea what it means to be a parent but still everything i do is wrong.  i hate being watched by them and criticized.  i try to stay either upstairs or downstairs with my son so we're out of the way, but he wants to be near them.  they always tell him they're busy too.  i don't get it and it's fustrating me to no end.  i just had to vent.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fulloflaughs
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I can totally relate.  My daughter and I have lived with my mom and stepdad for a little over 2 years.  I try to stay out of their way as much as possible too.  It's discouraging to live with someone that is constantly criticizing you.  Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that they have let us move in here and they do help me out a lot, but it's really frustrating to walk on egg shells all the time!!  Keep your head up girlie!

Mari_C
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I feel the same way living with my family sometimes. But I suck it up because I don't pay rent or any bills!
Up until last year our house consisted of Me & my dd, my sister, brother, mom, dad and grandma!
My older sister would judge me all the time. My little brother would always have his friends coming over, being loud and obnoxious. My mom would always agree with whatever my sister was bitching at me about and nag to the high heavens!!
It's not so annoying for me anymore. My brother went off to college thank god! My dad passed away, so my sister moved out of our house because everything in our house reminds her of him and she couldn't stand it. She's my best friend but I'm glad she moved out. She would judge me way too much and doesn't know shit about parenting, doesn't have kids, doesn't even want kids!
So now it's just me & my dd, my mom, and grandma. My mom still bugs me from time to time. But it's not so bad anymore.
I totally understand where you're coming from. But you have to just remember, they are on your side. When you feel like they're judging you it's only because they want the best for your son. And it could be worse, you could have a family that wouldn't help you out at all. Then where would you be? On the streets? I know I would be if it weren't for my family.

calgalmeg
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I did it for 2 years myself- and it was HARD.  Sometimes all you can do is just stay away from them as much as possible- go play at a park- stay in your room- go for walks- whatever it takes to get some space.  In the meantime sign up for housing help and any other assistance you can-housing lists can take a long time but if you get on you can get some really affordable rent which could make a one bedroom place affordable for the two of you.

Quoting fulloflaughs:

I can totally relate.  My daughter and I have lived with my mom and stepdad for a little over 2 years.  I try to stay out of their way as much as possible too.  It's discouraging to live with someone that is constantly criticizing you.  Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that they have let us move in here and they do help me out a lot, but it's really frustrating to walk on egg shells all the time!!  Keep your head up girlie!

It is never too late to be what you might have been.  - George Elliot

alison08
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM

thanks ladies...it feels good to know i'm not the only one.  i just wish they would be nice, i pretty much do all of the housework around here - cook, clean, food shop, laundry.  you name it, i do it.  and i'm in school and just got laid off of work, so it's not like we're even here that often but when we are it's like they can't stand us.  and when we do have time to be home, i try to get us out. it's just hard now bc it's cold, but we still are out of their way a lot.  but you're right, if it wasn't for living here - we'd be on the streets, probably hungry and naked, too.  i always say it could be worse, but i don't know why we can't just get along. 

tgreensgirl
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I'm there. Getting out in about 2 weeks. I can totally relate. Totally

alison08
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Quoting tgreensgirl:

I'm there. Getting out in about 2 weeks. I can totally relate. Totally

congrats on getting out.  i cant wait ti be ready to afford to be on my own. good luck!

adulation
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:13 PM

ditto.  i'm still staying with my mom and it still sucks.  *i* am my daughter's mother, and i go out and get her the things she needs,  i set a bed time for her, i make her meals, i discipline her, etc... and yet my mom will act like i'm the baby sitter.  "don't forget to give her two veggies at dinner!  don't forget to give her a bath at least an hour before her bed time"  blah blahb blah.  then when she watches Lila for me she feeds her macaroni & cheese and french fries for dinner. wtf? ugh.

can't wait to get out..... some day....

Texan1993
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:05 PM

If you hate living with your mom then get a job and move out and get your own place. 

fulloflaughs
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Quoting Texan1993:

If you hate living with your mom then get a job and move out and get your own place. 

If it were that easy, I'm sure she would..as would I.  Sometimes circumstances don't always allow for things we want.  I have a job but thanks to my ex husband, I am drowning in debt and don't have much of a choice.

sherri8806
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:12 PM

There is always someone to post and ruin all the nice comments. I know how you feel  when my grandma broke her hip we moved in to help her. She is my best friend but oh God did we butt heads lol. Now that "I got a job and moved out" Were best friends again lol. Good Luck with everything 

Quoting Texan1993:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)