Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know a lot about fianancial aid?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM
  • 4 Replies

I just am kind of lost when it comes to financial aid. All I did was the fasfa and I just got $2700 from a grant. and they also offered me loans, but I don't really understand the whole loan thing. How is a financial aid loan different than a loan that I could get somewhere else? You still have to pay it back with interest don't you? I hear about single moms getting so much grant money that they can use it for living expenses because it covered all the costs of school with extra. How do I get more grants? I do a google search on grants for single moms but they are all associated with certain schools. I'm already in school. I don't know, I just feel like a lost puppy or something. I don't know if I can get grants in the middle of the school semester, either.

by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Singlemomks
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM

You should check with your school to see what kind of grants and scholarships you can get through the school.  Also - student loans are different in the fact that the interest rate is lower than you would get elsewhere, and they will defer the payments until you are out of school for six months, after that, if you need to, you can defer the payments longer, they work with you a lot better than other bill collectors. 

I would google scholarships for single moms, and I know there are some legit websites that will find all kinds of scholarships you could be eligible for. Good luck!  

Join us on:

The Single Moms Group

Group Mod

HeartsLove
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM

You need a Pell Grant. You don't have to pay it back, and it does consider your living expenses. Any 2- or 4-year school will accept it, but not certificate schools (where you go for 7 or 8 months, and come out with just a certificate).

sandie66
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I am in school. Financial aid are the student loans that you pay back. Pelt grant is free money that you don't have to pay back. But know this, at least this is what I've been told: financial aid pays for classes only, pelt grant pays for books, uniforms, etc and IF there is any leftover you can have it to pay for bills etc. But you don't get any of this money personally. It all goes straight to your school and they will let you know if there is anything leftover and then you have to ask them for a check. 

Maman9
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 5:17 AM

Everyone should join Fastweb, and apply for everything you can. I worked in academe (preK through college) for years, and I know that "You have to be in it, to win it."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)