Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseats

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM
  • 71 Replies

Ok, so I have been called a carseat nazi before. I call it educating myself and sharing with others. A lot of women don't know the carseat laws, or what is now considered safe compared to 10 years ago.

Anyways, I saw a women yesterday sitting in a running car (next to me) with what I presume is her son. The child couldn't have been more then 2 and was not in a car seat! He was simply buckled in. I about died!

At 2, my son will still be rear facing, and will be until he reaches 35lbs or the height requirments to be forward faced. It has been proven to be 75% safer in the event of an accident. I couldn't imagine putting my child in a car with no seat at all! I only wish I had the knowledge that I now have when my DD was younger.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kam06
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

My daughter is 3 and still rear facing in a True Fit Premier.

A little while a ago I saw what had to be a 1yr old FFing in a carrier car seat!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

single_and_preg
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I forward face my 17 months old...I do know some people dont use carseats, and i couldnt imagine not having my son in one.

jeepingirrl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM

My son is 3 1/2 and he is still in a Britax Regent...he will be until he reaches the weight limit. My daughter is 18 months and is forward facing in a Britax Marathon and when she gets to big for that she will also go to a Regent. There will be no booster seats until they can not fit in their car seats anymore.

AMsMommy212
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Aiden reached the weight limit for his seat to be rear facing around 18 months (33 lbs). :o(

bigmommasmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:07 PM

My DD is a big one. She's almost 3 & 40 lbs. Ive been forward facing though.

AllNaturalMum
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I'll be buying a Sunshine Kid's Radian that rear faces until 45lbs for this exact reason!! I can't stand when parents are irresponsible with their children's safety... Especially when it is with something as easy as a car seat!
Oh, and then when she grows out of it rear facing, it forward faces with a harness until 80lbs!

pregnancy calendar
ProudSingleMum
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I understand. I didn't ERF, but my son is in a seat now, and will be until he outgrows it.

Kissybratzmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I should add, another post got me going on this topic..so please no one take offense to this. I am not attacking anyone here.

The seat I have now rear faces to 35lbs, but I have a feeling he will hit the height part before the weight. I am saving up for either a true fit or a my ride 65.

I don't want anyone to think I am personally bashing them or their decisions but with all the information out there and proven studies, so many people don't even consider it and it just dumbfounds me. To each their own I suppose.

The 20lbs and 1 year is a bare minimum  set by the AAP. My child is not a bare minimum in my life! I will do anything in my power to keep him safe. I would rather have a child with 2 broken legs than a child who was internally decapitated, or lying in a bed paralyzed or with brain damage. So many women make the excuse that their child isn't comfortable. Really? Did you child personally tell you  this??? Just because we think it may not be comfortable, doesn't mean our children do. Children are very flexible, and don't know any different. Teach them to "sit" indian style if anything. I also hear the choking excuse. 1. Your child shouldn't be eating in the car for starters. 2. There are mirrors that you can get so you can see your child while they are rear facing. 3. If your child has serious choking issues due to health problems, then maybe someone should ride along with them in the back seat.

If anyone doesn't know the benfits of rear facing, feel free to ask me and I will give you links to articles and video proving that it is safer! There are even crash test dummy videos out there showing the difference in a car accident while a child is FF and then RF. You just have to google it.

AMsMommy212
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Quoting AllNaturalMum:

I'll be buying a Sunshine Kid's Radian that rear faces until 45lbs for this exact reason!! I can't stand when parents are irresponsible with their children's safety... Especially when it is with something as easy as a car seat!
Oh, and then when she grows out of it rear facing, it forward faces with a harness until 80lbs!

Aiden was growing so fast I decided not to invest in yet ANOTHER car seat (I had an accident and had to replace his car seat just a few months after moving up from the infant carrier) only to have him outgrow it again, but in the last 6 months since he outgrew the weight limit on this seat RF, he hasnt gained a single lb.. Im just not sure how he would handle being turned back around after 6 months of facing fwd.

Anyone have expreience with that?? I realize that his safety is number one, but my sanity is a big one as well!!

Kam06
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM

My DD forward faces in my dads truck because he doesnt have a back seat and she doesnt mind rear facing in my car.

What seat do you have for him now?

Quoting AMsMommy212:

Quoting AllNaturalMum:

Aiden was growing so fast I decided not to invest in yet ANOTHER car seat (I had an accident and had to replace his car seat just a few months after moving up from the infant carrier) only to have him outgrow it again, but in the last 6 months since he outgrew the weight limit on this seat RF, he hasnt gained a single lb.. Im just not sure how he would handle being turned back around after 6 months of facing fwd.

Anyone have expreience with that?? I realize that his safety is number one, but my sanity is a big one as well!!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)