Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What shows do you like that have good female characters?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM
  • 38 Replies

I've been watching a BBC series that ran years ago- "The Vicar of Dibley" (ran around 2000 I'd guess) I've been watching on Netflix and I totally fell in love with it.  The main woman is a female vicar and a plus size woman and she is divine!  She's funny as all get out- smart- makes mistakes but always makes up for them- and she struggles in love but actually gets guys (unlike most shows if you weigh more than 100LBs you can't even get Jack Black).

I just watched the 3rd season and now I'm all done with it and totally sad!  I really wish it was longer- anyone else see it?

If not anyone else know of good shows where women are really fabulous characters that aren't always getting pushed around?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Singlemomks
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:40 PM

I have never heard of this show - but it sounds awesome!

Join us on:

The Single Moms Group

Group Mod

calgalmeg
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I couldn't stop watching... the only thing is now I don't have anything as good to replace it with... hence the post I need ideas!

Quoting Singlemomks:

I have never heard of this show - but it sounds awesome!

calgalmeg
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM

OK so I got almost no responses to this so I changed the title in the off chance this will help find some answers.

BaisMom
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Law&Order SVU - all of the women on that show are great, Olivia Benson is my favorite

Burn Notice - Fifi is awesome

Smallville - Chloe is amazing

LOST - ALL of the LOST women have my props, Kate and Rose are my faves

Heroes - Stacy kicks ass

Young and single. Call me a statistic if you'd like, it doesn't change the fact that I am a smart, strong, and confident mother. There are also a number of other things that you might not like about me: I breastfed AND formula fed. My daughter is on a delayed vax'ing schedule. I had a c-section. Organic food is nasty. I don't spank, but I do whoop ass. I let my daughter get hurt and make mistakes, I want her to learn through experience, it's the best way. I am an Atheist, my daughter has never been to church nor read the bible. I don't believe that I need to look to a "god" to have morals. I believe in reason, science, the Earth, and I believe in PEOPLE. Despite my heathen ways, I have a pure heart <3 and my daughter is healthy, smart, happy, beautiful, and loving; and she knows she's loved.

calgalmeg
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I use to watch SVU but it got a little depression you know?  So many sad stories and so many people hurt!

I haven't seen Smallville in forever but yeah I  loved Chloe- the sad thing is she never gets the guy.

Quoting BaisMom:

Law&Order SVU - all of the women on that show are great, Olivia Benson is my favorite

Burn Notice - Fifi is awesome

Smallville - Chloe is amazing

LOST - ALL of the LOST women have my props, Kate and Rose are my faves

Heroes - Stacy kicks ass

It is never too late to be what you might have been.  - George Elliot

ballewal
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Castle

Gilmore Girls 

NCIS

Criminal Minds

Feminist mothers unite!
Luvof2angels
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I know these might be  lame shows but my daughter and I are presently watching reruns of the Ghost Whisperer with Jennifer Love Hewitt

and I use to love the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer with Sarah Michelle Gellar.. she kicked butt! (love vampire shows!)

calgalmeg
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Oh I loved NCIS!  

Haven't seen Criminal Minds I thought that show was about a man.

Quoting ballewal:

Castle

Gilmore Girls 

NCIS

Criminal Minds

It is never too late to be what you might have been.  - George Elliot

ballewal
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM

The team has men and women. The analyst character is a young woman, and I think she is particularly awesome. She's like Abby from NCIS just minus the goth and tattoos. 

Quoting calgalmeg:

Oh I loved NCIS!  

Haven't seen Criminal Minds I thought that show was about a man.

Feminist mothers unite!
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM

i love liv on svu. i love lil on cold case. lol "lil" and "liv"

i like snooki HAHHAHAH (not as a role model though)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)