Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Feeling hopeless.........

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2007 at 8:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
I know that I'm not the only single mom out there that works there butt off to provide for there family. But I'm seriously frustrated; I do have a good paying job. I'm a Registered Dental Assistant and I have been working in the dental field going on about 14 yrs now. I normally work M-Th and there are Friday's that I fill in for one of the other assistants that call's in sick or has something they need to do. I even fill in for some of the front desk people thinking that it will be a little more on my pay ck. I've even since taken over cleaning the office at work to make even a little more extra money to help me out and yet the more that I make the more in taxes gets taken out so there for I am back to square on.  I'm also learning how to do financial services and teaching people how to be able to be debt free and saving for retirement with in a certain amount of yrs and I'm not making anything with that yet. So basically I'm working 3 jobs and still struggling financially. I can't get help from any of the local places because they say that I make to much money.

Is there anyone else out there going through the same thing as I am that can give me some hopeful advice? I seriously live pay ck to pay ck and never have anything left over. I've never taken my son on one trip and he is 15 yrs old now.
I'm feeling so discouraged and depressed and feel like I have failed myself as well as my son.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
by on Oct. 1, 2007 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
DanaShea26310
by on Oct. 1, 2007 at 8:40 PM
I'm in the same situation. Their dad does not help out AT ALL. Not physically or financially. But "they" say I make too much money and cannot qualify for much. They do get Medicaid and that is it. I pay so much in daycare because I have 2. Their sperm donor owes me over $11,000 in child support, but I can't get any help!!! I too live paycheck to paycheck and know exactly how you feel. It's a shame! It's about time they lock his sorry tail up. I'm not getting any help anyways so why should it matter? I'm glad someone else feels the same way I do. I'd love to take my kids on vacation, but can't go far with my POS car. I don't have the extra money anyways. Guess things will never change. (Sorry I'm in a bad mood tonight!) Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for all of us!!!

jrzygrl15
by on Oct. 1, 2007 at 8:43 PM
Don't feel discouraged you can only do so much. If you live in a decent place , have food and some things that you want and your son loves you. Then you are richer than you can believe. I live paycheck to paycheck and if you knew what my paycheck was you would think I'm crazy but the more you have the more you pay (just like you said about taxes) sometimes I just am thankful I got us through another week and to another pay period and that's all I can do. Keep your chin up and do what you can .
CaptivatingMom
by on Oct. 1, 2007 at 8:48 PM
I don't know that I have any advice, but I do feel your pain.  I work 32 hours a week at an okay job but it doesn't always cover everything.  And, like you, when I do have a bigger paycheck, the taxes eat up the extra.  My family does qualifiy for some help and even with that we have been in financially distress.  It almost seems like we would be better off to not work, watch movies all day and just wait for our assistance to come in the mail.  They don't offer you any chance to get ahead.  I also feel your pain on the whole vacation thing.  My two youngest have never been on a "real" vacation either.  It hurts because I would love them to experience something new and for us to just go and have fun.  Like I said, I have nothing to offer cause I haven't figured it out myself.  But I'm right there with you.
immadismom
by on Oct. 1, 2007 at 10:41 PM
I feel the same way.  I have a decent job, and I have good benefits, but I still am living paycheck to paycheck.  The child support that I do get is sporatic, and the cost of my daycare is outrageous.  I have been doing everything possible to make extra, including cleaning house for several people, and selling extra stuff on ebay, however it seems that every time I think I've got a bit of extra, something comes up, like an extra repair to the car, or my daughter has a growth spurt and her shoes don't fit, or something.  I really want to buy a house in another year or two, but I do not know how I'll make that happen if I can't get a break somewhere!!  I am grateful for the roof over our heads and the food on our table, but there are times when I just wish that it wasn't a daily struggle to pay the bills.....

mghtymffn
by on Oct. 2, 2007 at 12:29 AM
I too understand what you are going thru but you know what ladies we provide for our children very well and so what if they don't have the extra things, materially speaking.  They have food, shelter, air and all the love that a mommy can give and that my friends is priceless.  Don't worry about the extra, they don't have because when they grow up, you know what they are going to say we didn't have much but there was a love and hugging going on, be blessed that you can watch your children grow up healthy and happy.  Good nite ladies.
izzysmom724
by on Oct. 2, 2007 at 7:52 AM
I am so glad to see this post cause I was really starting to feel like the only one living paycheck to paycheck.  How frustrating that even when we do find motivation to try and get ahead the taxes kill us or something comes up.
I think for me and my daughter I just try my best and I make sure she has whatever she needs first.  I've given up caring for myself and just want what's good for her life.  Makes me sad but I smile on the outside cause I love her so much.
I will keep playing lotto cause I feel that's my only hope.
jlani16
by on Oct. 2, 2007 at 8:49 AM
im in the same boat ur in.  my sons father hasnt contributed anything i work part time and they say i still make too much money to get any help.  my son also has medicaid which i am very thankful for.  i work part time cuz i cant afford to pay the sitter for the week so i work 3 days out of the week.  i dont have family to watch my son because they all live in Hawaii.  my brother is here but he and his wife work to support their children 2.  so dont feel like ur the only one, there are alot of us out their.  but i love my son will do anything for him so that he can have a roof over his head, clothes and food.  ur doin a great job, we are all here to support each other.  
chancolady
by on Oct. 2, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Hi Ladies,  Although our names may be different, the situation that we are all in, remains the same.  I hope to take my daughter on vacation, sometime in our lifetime, and I am in the process of working on just that.  Click on the link that is next to my name (below), and make some money for yourself. It is ABSOLUTELY FREE! It really is; not one penny!! It can help you to reach for your dreams. It doesn't require specific qualifications, there is no cold calls, there is no selling, no meetings, and no overhead! Check it out for yourself. Click on the link, and watch the business video, which lasts a few minutes, and see for yourself.   

Judi  http://www.mypowermall.com/Biz/Home/49793

MsTallTammi
by on Oct. 2, 2007 at 1:15 PM
YOu are definitely NOT Alone! I feel like I am getting nowhere FAST!  But then I think about the peoople who don't have jobs at all... and the fact that I am able to take care of us... even though it's pay check to pay check...

Hang in there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN