Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

prision?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM
  • 6 Replies

does anyone know if i can recieve child support for my daughter if her father is in prision? what if he owns property?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mlyn23
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:32 AM

from my situation all you can do is report it to child-support agency. however when i told them where the bio was they told me that there was nothing they could do due to the fact that he was in prison (however if he went to the pen they might be able to get a few cents a day if he works there) but not likely. and i was also told that as soon as i hear he's getting out ... preferably before he gets out... to let them know so all the back childsupport , even before he went would get him.....

now on the property... have you thought about putting a lean on it? i have a close friend who did that with her x to get her childsupport. .... just a thought... good luck

mobilemom0608
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:35 AM

no clue... BUMP

single_and_preg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Nope you cant, and it sucks 

The State doesnt even give benefits to childrens parents who are in prison, I always thought they would, since they give benefits for so much other stuff.

tyfry7496
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:24 AM

No you can't. He isn't working. How would he pay the support? As for property, the arrears has to be a lot before a lein can be placed on the property and then you don't get the money until he sells the property, if you get it at all (there could be other leins on the property besides child support). Talk to an attorney to get the most accurate and up to date info for your state.

blue_glass_mama
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM

well---he can get a prison job and they can take it out of that $3.00 at a time---that is the only time I got child support---lol

calgalmeg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:45 PM

My understanding is that if he owns property and it's not taken from him for retribution for his crime you can petition for it instead of child support because while behind bars he owes nothing unless he has income (for example if he had a rental property income but was in jail he'd still owe).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)