Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Odd and useless facts...

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:51 AM
  • 93 Replies

Feel free to add some. This could be interesting!

A person uses, approximately, fifty-seven sheets of toilet paper each day. 

New Jersey has a spoon museum that has over 5,400 spoons from across the world.

It costs about 3 cents to make a $1 bill in the United States. 

On average, a disposable diaper can hold up to 7 pounds of liquid.  (gross, who lets it get that full?!)

Wal-Mart sells more apparel a year than all the other competing department stores combined. 

Americans did not commonly use forks until after the Civil War

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coffee.crisp
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Quoting Kissybratzmom:

Holy crap, who needs that much toilet paper??

dragonlilly3492
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:00 AM

The oldest business in the United States of America is the cymbal company Zildjian which was founded in Constantinople in 1623.

There are approximately ten million bricks in the Empire State Building.

The five most stolen items in a drugstore are batteries, cosmetics, film, sunglasses, and, get this, Preparation H.  Apparently people are just too embarrassed to purchase the last item.  And, just in case you are curious, one of Preparation H's main ingredient is shark liver oil.  The oil not only helps shrink hemorrhoids, but will shrink any tissue.  As a result, many older women in Florida use the stuff to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles!

Why do ostriches bury their heads in the sand?  They actually don't.  In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of eighty years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand (or attempted to do so)

Did you ever wonder what the WD in WD-40 stands for?  The name was lifted right out chemist Norm Larsen's laboratory notebook.  Way back in 1953, he was trying to concoct an anti-corrosion formula, which worked on the basic principle of displacing water.  On his 40th try, Larsen finally got it right.  Hence the name WD-40.  It literally means Water Displacer, 40th try.

single_and_preg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Interesting!

dragonlilly3492
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:09 PM

When airplanes were still a novel invention, seat belts for pilots were installed only after the consequence of their absence was observed to be fatal - several pilots fell to their deaths while flying upside down.

Limelight was how we lit the stage before electricity was invented. Basically, illumination was produced by heating blocks of lime until they glowed.

kcook55
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Quoting coffee.crisp:

Quoting Kissybratzmom:

Holy crap, who needs that much toilet paper??

i was just thinking the same thing lol

calgalmeg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Quoting Kissybratzmom:

This must be averaged with children's usage and adults because I don't do a fraction of that but leave my kid alone with a roll and it's all kinds of ugly.

coffee.crisp
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Quoting dragonlilly3492:

And, just in case you are curious, one of Preparation H's main ingredient is shark liver oil.  The oil not only helps shrink hemorrhoids, but will shrink any tissue.  As a result, many older women in Florida use the stuff to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles!

I've used Preparation H forever to reduce puffy eyes, like if I've been crying or had a bad night's sleep ;)  And yes I had a really tough time buying it!

Kissybratzmom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM

LOL.. too funny!!

Quoting coffee.crisp:

Quoting dragonlilly3492:

And, just in case you are curious, one of Preparation H's main ingredient is shark liver oil.  The oil not only helps shrink hemorrhoids, but will shrink any tissue.  As a result, many older women in Florida use the stuff to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles!

I've used Preparation H forever to reduce puffy eyes, like if I've been crying or had a bad night's sleep ;)  And yes I had a really tough time buying it!

calgalmeg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Wow I don't know if I would have the guts to use butt cream on my face LOL

Quoting coffee.crisp:

Quoting dragonlilly3492:

Kissybratzmom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM

A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off!

Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.

What is called a "French kiss" in the English speaking world is known as an "English kiss" in France.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)