Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old and cursing???? PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

My oldest decided that he was f**king mad at me before because I wouldn't let him play on the computer until he cleaned up all his toys... How do you handle a 4 year old cursing. *NOTE* I try not to use foul language around my children, but I live with my mother and siblings and you would swear that I live with a bunch of sailors the way they talk. i've tried telling them not to use those words. My son goes to a catholic daycare and I'm afraid that he'll say that and they'll want to kick him out. (they are very strict)

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
single_and_preg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Its going to be hard since he hears it on a regular basis, however you should tell him those words are only for adults, and next time he says it you should send him to his room or something like that. So he knows your serious.

Anthonys_mommy1
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:04 PM

i've tried that but it doesn't work. He finds way to entertain himself even if I remove all his toys from the room

single_and_preg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I'll tell you how i stopped...

My parents always cussed alot so i heard it all the time too, Well i remember i was already mad about something i was about 7 years old..my mom walked in my room, and i said "What the Fu*k do you want?"

It just came out of my mouth, i didnt even mean to say it like that....she slapped me across my face so hard, and i never cussd again, until i was an adult.

Quoting Anthonys_mommy1:

i've tried that but it doesn't work. He finds way to entertain himself even if I remove all his toys from the room

Anthonys_mommy1
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I'll admit I though bout that at first but not for my son. more for my family lol.

Quoting single_and_preg:

My parents always cussed alot so i heard it all the time too, Well i remember i was already mad about something i was about 7 years old..my mom walked in my room, and i said "What the Fu*k do you want?"

It just came out of my mouth, i didnt even mean to say it like that....she slapped me across my face so hard, and i never cussd again, until i was an adult.

Quoting Anthonys_mommy1:

calgalmeg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I would ask your family to ease up around him or at least tell him he cannot say it because he doesn't understand what it means.

DD said "oh god" a couple times and I told her she was not allowed to say it until she could understand what it meant that it was very special and sacred to some people and for her to say it while annoyed was not acceptable.  Her dad says it and she pointed it out, but I stayed firm and said that he knew what he was saying and it was his choice.

I would do time out for him in the hallway where he cannot play with anything and that you set a timer- one minute for each year and he must be quiet or the timer starts over.  If you get desperate to keep him on it you can stand there at first or you can put up child gates to keep him corralled in there.

I would also approach his school about the problem and ask them how they would handle it and what they will do if it happens in class.

single_and_preg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I used to say that as a kid, My friend's mom was a Sunday School teacher, and told me to never say "Oh god" in front of her....So i started saying Oh Gosh (which just didnt feel natural)

Quoting calgalmeg:

I would ask your family to ease up around him or at least tell him he cannot say it because he doesn't understand what it means.

DD said "oh god" a couple times and I told her she was not allowed to say it until she could understand what it meant that it was very special and sacred to some people and for her to say it while annoyed was not acceptable.  Her dad says it and she pointed it out, but I stayed firm and said that he knew what he was saying and it was his choice.

I would do time out for him in the hallway where he cannot play with anything and that you set a timer- one minute for each year and he must be quiet or the timer starts over.  If you get desperate to keep him on it you can stand there at first or you can put up child gates to keep him corralled in there.

I would also approach his school about the problem and ask them how they would handle it and what they will do if it happens in class.

single_and_preg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM

lol yeah i know what you mean...I would be mad at them also.

Quoting Anthonys_mommy1:

I'll admit I though bout that at first but not for my son. more for my family lol.

Quoting single_and_preg:

Quoting Anthonys_mommy1:

Kissybratzmom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Put him in time out. Tell him why he's going in time out and make him stay 4 mins ( 1 min for each year) One he completes it ask him why he was in time out, and what's he's going to do differently next time.

tyfry7496
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:59 PM

He says it because those around him are using the words so he thinks it is ok. Maybe it is time to move out of mom's house so your son is not exposed to that kind of language.  Tell your family that  if your son gets kicked out of day care, then SHE can take care of him because she won't stop swearing.

calgalmeg
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM

bouncing

Totally know what you mean- my brother makes me want to do that sometimes!

Quoting Anthonys_mommy1:

Quoting single_and_preg:

Quoting Anthonys_mommy1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)